Quarantine Tank Setup

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does a saltwater quarantine tank have to be fully cycled normally? Or is it easy enough to "seed" filter sponges by pouring Dr. Tim's One and Only over them? I am currently cycling the bio media (sand and live rock) for my new tank and I'm wondering if I can instantly setup a QT so that I can quarantine my fish to put in my display tank once it is cycled.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does a saltwater quarantine tank have to be fully cycled normally? Or is it easy enough to "seed" filter sponges by pouring Dr. Tim's One and Only over them? I am currently cycling the bio media (sand and live rock) for my new tank and I'm wondering if I can instantly setup a QT so that I can quarantine my fish to put in my display tank once it is cycled.
I prefer to use a fully cycled tank for quarantine, just one less thing to worry about. That said, people do use DrTims products to pretty good effect- just be sure you have a good ammonia test kit to keep track of thing.
Jay

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to use a fully cycled tank for quarantine, just one less thing to worry about. That said, people do use DrTims products to pretty good effect- just be sure you have a good ammonia test kit to keep track of thing.
Jay
Sounds good. I have no problem running it through a proper cycle. I plan to seed the sponge alongside my rock just in case too.

scubaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question Jay,

If you run a cycled QT all the time, you don't tear down and sterilize everything each time in between groups of new fish obviously. do you just do major (50%+) water changes to get your medications down for the next fish so you can bring the meds up slowly?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question Jay,

If you run a cycled QT all the time, you don't tear down and sterilize everything each time in between groups of new fish obviously. do you just do major (50%+) water changes to get your medications down for the next fish so you can bring the meds up slowly?
One thing I need to clarify - I only keep my QTs set up if the quarantine was SUCCESSFUL. If I lost fish to some unknown or untreated disease, I strip them and reestablish the nitrogen cycle with ammonium chloride. The logic here is this: any fish going through the process are considered "clean". Therefore, the tank they came from is also "clean" so absolutely no need to strip the tank.

The only medication that really persists for any length of time is copper, the rest break down fairly quickly. I know the exact volumes of our QT, so I don't have to worry about messing up the dose, so no worries about taking copper up in stages.

Jay

scubaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I need to clarify - I only keep my QTs set up if the quarantine was SUCCESSFUL. If I lost fish to some unknown or untreated disease, I strip them and reestablish the nitrogen cycle with ammonium chloride. The logic here is this: any fish going through the process are considered "clean". Therefore, the tank they came from is also "clean" so absolutely no need to strip the tank.

The only medication that really persists for any length of time is copper, the rest break down fairly quickly. I know the exact volumes of our QT, so I don't have to worry about messing up the dose, so no worries about taking copper up in stages.

Jay
That makes sense.

Thank you.

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also keep media (sponges and such) in your regular tank seeding at all times, then when you have to set up QT tank take one it and put in the tank to help "jumpstart it"

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also keep media (sponges and such) in your regular tank seeding at all times, then when you have to set up QT tank take one it and put in the tank to help "jumpstart it"

Yup, exactly. I just take my used filter pads from the main tank and add them to the filtration of the QT tank -never had any issues with ammonia or bacterial blooms, etc.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people do not cycle their QT. They just do a big water change to keep the ammonia levels down.

I have always cycled my QT. It just seems easier.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back