OP
McJaeger

McJaeger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are talking about the force on the bottom pane, not the sides. Wrong equation.
It doesn't matter regardless! I've decided to not take the risk and bought a Red Sea Reefer 250 instead. There are too many things that can fail at this point, why risk it.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't matter regardless! I've decided to not take the risk and bought a Red Sea Reefer 250 instead. There are too many things that can fail at this point, why risk it.
Awesome you got a new tank!

FWIW, I've siliconed panes on holes through the bottom pane. I think the risk involved there is less than or equal to the seams leaking on a new tank.
The downward pressure of the water is so minimal. (why we can scuba dive so easy and not get crushed)

OP
OP
McJaeger

McJaeger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome you got a new tank!

FWIW, I've siliconed panes on holes through the bottom pane. I think the risk involved there is less than or equal to the seams leaking on a new tank.
The downward pressure of the water is so minimal. (why we can scuba dive so easy and not get crushed)
Yeah I'm less concerned with the patch than I am about drilling and resealing the thing. Not to mention I'd have to build a stand for it. I figure it's time to cut my losses and bail. If anyone in Central Florida wants a cheap project, dm me!

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the thread I needed. Looking to do the exact same thing for my 93gal cube tank. I was debating bulkheads or glass but the argument of the fact that a glass patch just has less variables to fail sold me on going the glass route.

When you say reseal, did you just remove the beads of silicone from the inside of the tank leaving the silicone between the panels and reapply new silicone? Or did you actually take all the pieces apart and apply new silicone in between each panel of glass? As stated above, I'm looking to remove an old overflow and I'm sure I'll need to reseal the tank as well.

I left the silicone between the glass intact and just replaced the silicone on the insides of all the corners.

IMG_2607.JPG

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back