Question about patching holes in glass

McJaeger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a really good deal on a deep blue 57g reef ready rimless tank, but the center overflow takes up way too much space in the display. I'd like to remove the overflow, patch the holes in the bottom, and drill new holes in the back to plumb a low profile overflow and return. Has anyone done anything like this? What would be the best way to patch the holes? Pics attached for reference.

20200224_212959.jpg 20200224_212950.jpg

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this exact same thing several months ago with dual overflows. Removing overflow box may be easy or hard, depending on how it was fixed. If they used just silicone, then it should be easy enough to take off. If they used glue as well, thats pain in the rear (ask me how I know lol) If you want ideas on getting rid of those, let me know.

In terms of patching holes, as daddy-o mentioned, get scrap pieces of glass and cut them to size. I used 1/4" thickness. I cut squares that were about an inch wider than the holes. I put lots of silicone on the tank, applied the glass patch and then I siliconed around the edges as well. To make sure I had absolutely no issues, I actually did same thing on the bottom of the tank as well. Since I had lots of silicone, I actually filled in the hole from the bottom, before I applied the patch. Let everything cure for a week and then water tested it. Had no issues at all.

I actually did same thing on another tank that I have. It was old sump that was setup for external pump. Since I will use it as QT or frag tank, I didnt need that hole.

1582678742620.png

1582678766170.png

Last edited:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'd trust bulkheads with caps more than a siliconed in piece of glass.
It may cost more for the bulkheads, but I would never worry about them failing.

ReefLuck1123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd trust bulkheads with caps more than a siliconed in piece of glass.
It may cost more for the bulkheads, but I would never worry about them failing.

How so? Glass & silicone make a heck of a bond... rubber deteriorates, plastic detiorates, more so than glass & silicone in my experience. Bulkheads can be pretty tough but they can be made cheaply too.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
How so? Glass & silicone make a heck of a bond... rubber deteriorates, plastic detiorates, more so than glass & silicone in my experience. Bulkheads can be pretty tough but they can be made cheaply too.
The bulkhead deteriorating? Really? I'm not denying that glass and silicone will bond. I just don't like patch jobs.
Like I said, I would trust the bulkhead option far more than a patch.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People fail to realize how LITTLE pressure exists inside your tank. A 30" tall tank full of water exerts 1 psi on the tank bottom
.or bulkhead or whatever.

It's ridiculous to argue that a siliconed piece of glass on the bottom is going to fail. Your whole tank is a siliconed piece of glass!!!!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
People fail to realize how LITTLE pressure exists inside your tank. A 30" tall tank full of water exerts 1 psi on the tank bottom
.or bulkhead or whatever.

It's ridiculous to argue that a siliconed piece of glass on the bottom is going to fail. Your whole tank is a siliconed piece of glass!!!!
I never said it was going to fail.
I said I would trust the bulkhead. I didn't say or try to analyze one option over the other. I just said what "I" would do.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess what I am saying is that your trust, "far more trust" is what you stated isn't really grounded in physics or materials science.

They both are fine. All things equal the patch has less opporunity to fail compared to a bulkhead. (Over tightening, o-ring hardening, plastic burrs, etc)

My post was more to call attention that these high pressure situations that exist in aquariums.. don't.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I guess what I am saying is that your trust, "far more trust" is what you stated isn't really grounded in physics or materials science.

They both are fine. All things equal the patch has less opporunity to fail compared to a bulkhead. (Over tightening, o-ring hardening, plastic burrs, etc)

My post was more to call attention that these high pressure situations that exist in aquariums.. don't.
After 55 years of keeping fish in glass boxes, I've learned to trust myself.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Buikhead plugs with silicone best and cleanest best

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me, I'd silicone squares of glass on the INSIDE. No need for more silicone on the outside. I see no point as water will be pushing against the inside seals. The outside extra silicone will do nothing to hold back water. But hey, what do I know, I only fixed cooling systems for 25 years.
Pushing bubble gum into an outside hole does nothing to hold back the flood.

Using bulkheads is a good idea too, but you'll have some hardware hanging down that may or may not get in your way.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me, I'd silicone squares of glass on the INSIDE. No need for more silicone on the outside. I see no point as water will be pushing against the inside seals. The outside extra silicone will do nothing to hold back water. But hey, what do I know, I only fixed cooling systems for 25 years.
Pushing bubble gum into an outside hole does nothing to hold back the flood.

Using bulkheads is a good idea too, but you'll have some hardware hanging down that may or may not get in your way.

While it may not do much at all like you said, it gave me extra confidence, thats all. My thought process was, if there is a drop or 2 that does somehow get through, bottom part shoould hold it between 2 panes. Yes, it doesnt make too much sense thinking more about it, but at the time in my head it made sense lol.

Hello from Surrey :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 139 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back