Question about the 14 day ich method

MosBronco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tang has ich its clear to see but none of my other 10 fish have any signs. I know..assume they have it.
Question 1
if i do the 14 day treatment method how will i know if its off them or not? should i do the full 30 days to be sure or will the 14 days be enough. This is going to be a big undertaking for me. I really don't want to do it twice.

Question 2
Now this might sounds dumb but it says not to transfer anything wet into the second qt tank, but the fish is wet. is that not a concern for cross contamination?

question 3
how do you deal with ammonia in these qt tanks?
water changes seems like the best method. Wouldn't that in turn drop the copper level and make the proccess restart again? From what ive read you shouldnt cylce the tank as it needs sterlized between batches so i am at a bit of a loss.

any help is appreciated!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say 14 day treatment, do you mean copper? If so, that needs to be 30 days with a 2 week observation period at the end. That coincides nicely with the 45 days you need to leave the tank empty of fish to ensure the ich parasite has died off and the fish can be safely returned.
Jay

OP
OP
M

MosBronco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say 14 day treatment, do you mean copper? If so, that needs to be 30 days with a 2 week observation period at the end. That coincides nicely with the 45 days you need to leave the tank empty of fish to ensure the ich parasite has died off and the fish can be safely returned.
Jay
yes with copper

^ i was referring to this post that says with two tanks you can do 14 days of copper and 14 days of observation

OP
OP
M

MosBronco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone have answers to my other questions?
should i subject all my fish to 30 days copper and 14 days observation even though they don't show signs of ich?

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. from personal experience, i'd just go the full 30 days. 14 might work if your in a pinch but it could end up not working. 30 days will give you a better % of working.

2. the idea of not transferring anything wet doesn't include the fish. you can read more about the ich life cycle to deal with that concept, has to do with freeswimmers and ich attached to hard surfaces.

3. ideally, you'd have time to cycle a tank before adding copper. depending on the type of copper you use, maybe prime to deal with short spikes. though prime can be fatal if used with the wrong type of copper, there are things like quick cycle -biospira, dr tims, stability etc. some people use a rock or media from the established tank.

if you want to do a water change, just add copper to the fresh water before adding. if the copper ever drops below therapeutic level you are starting all over again.

all of this is answered all over the board and internet, a search of this forum or internet should give you more answers or more detailed answers.

OP
OP
M

MosBronco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. from personal experience, i'd just go the full 30 days. 14 might work if your in a pinch but it could end up not working. 30 days will give you a better % of working.

2. the idea of not transferring anything wet doesn't include the fish. you can read more about the ich life cycle to deal with that concept, has to do with freeswimmers and ich attached to hard surfaces.

3. ideally, you'd have time to cycle a tank before adding copper. depending on the type of copper you use, maybe prime to deal with short spikes. though prime can be fatal if used with the wrong type of copper, there are things like quick cycle -biospira, dr tims, stability etc. some people use a rock or media from the established tank.

if you want to do a water change, just add copper to the fresh water before adding. if the copper ever drops below therapeutic level you are starting all over again.

all of this is answered all over the board and internet, a search of this forum or internet should give you more answers or more detailed answers.
i searched allot of forums and did not find an answer to any of these questions. please point me towards a post answering these so i can read further.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes with copper

^ i was referring to this post that says with two tanks you can do 14 days of copper and 14 days of observation
No, that doesn’t work for all protozoans, just ich, and at that it is purely hypothetical, based on a textbook example life cycle. In the real world, infections are a lot messier- 30 days is my recommendation.
Jay

OP
OP
M

MosBronco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that doesn’t work for all protozoans, just ich, and at that it is purely hypothetical, based on a textbook example life cycle. In the real world, infections are a lot messier- 30 days is my recommendation.
Jay
thank you for your response ill adjust my planned qt

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay

What protozoans does the 14-days of copper then transfer to sterile tank not work for that 30 days of copper would work for?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What protozoans does the 14-days of copper then transfer to sterile tank not work for that 30 days of copper would work for?
Amyloodinium, and as I alluded to, it often isn't long enough for Cryptocaryon. As I said, real world applications are "messy" and relying on a strict life cycle schedule is a mistake.

Jay

Back