Question Core 7 other pH

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started using the core 7 other methods. I was running Kalk in my ATO but switched to plain RO/DI when I started the Triton. My pH was steady around 8 on Kalk but since switching to core 7 my pH is steadily decreasing. My high now is 7.8 during the day and 7.65 at night after 48 hours. I have high Co2 in my home and use a Co2 scrubber. How Can I get my pH rack up into the 8 range. I have a 7 gallon refugium with a large mass of chaeto. I really like the idea of Triton but I want my pH higher.

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started using the core 7 other methods. I was running Kalk in my ATO but switched to plain RO/DI when I started the Triton. My pH was steady around 8 on Kalk but since switching to core 7 my pH is steadily decreasing. My high now is 7.8 during the day and 7.65 at night after 48 hours. I have high Co2 in my home and use a Co2 scrubber. How Can I get my pH rack up into the 8 range. I have a 7 gallon refugium with a large mass of chaeto. I really like the idea of Triton but I want my pH higher.
Following, this will be an issue for me as well. I'm drilling a fresh air inlet this weekend for one of my tanks to see how much of a difference that will make.

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, this will be an issue for me as well. I'm drilling a fresh air inlet this weekend for one of my tanks to see how much of a difference that will make.
+1 and already have a fresh air line to the sump that makes no difference, as I have to much CO2.

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 and already have a fresh air line to the sump that makes no difference, as I have to much CO2.
I'm thinking I'll fall into that category as well since the tank is in the utility room. Thought about running a dual brs reactor with polyfil and a little carbon in the first chamber and co2 absorber in the 2nd. Not sure how effective the co2 media would he though since its pulling in fresh air anyway.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking I'll fall into that category as well since the tank is in the utility room. Thought about running a dual brs reactor with polyfil and a little carbon in the first chamber and co2 absorber in the 2nd. Not sure how effective the co2 media would he though since its pulling in fresh air anyway.

CO2 scrubbing media helps on outside air too, and lasts longer. :)

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the purpose of the polyfil & carbon? Will it reduce CO2?

BTW, if you run a jar with RO before the scrubber co2 media last longer

Edit: RO before, vs. After

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the purpose of the polyfil & carbon? Will it reduce CO2?

BTW, if you run a jar with RO after the scrubber co2 media last longer.

I presume you mean before the media. :)

The purpose of the carbon and polyfill is presumably to reduce crap coming from outside, such as pesticides and dust.

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I presume you mean before the media. :)

The purpose of the carbon and polyfill is presumably to reduce crap coming from outside, such as pesticides and dust.
Yes, before the media: air flow goes like this > air intake - RO jar - CO2 scrubber - skimmer air intake.

I've seen also creating a loop back to skimmer cup. I just didn't wanted to drill the hole in the cup.

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember seeing a thread with water in a acropower bottle before the media to keep the media damp or something like that. Anyone have pictures of how the tubes should be set up inside the jar.

Just have both pull air from above the water line?

P.S. Sorry for the thread hijack, hopefully some of this info is useful for you as well OP

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember seeing a thread with water in a acropower bottle before the media to keep the media damp or something like that. Anyone have pictures of how the tubes should be set up inside the jar.

Just have both pull air from above the water line?

P.S. Sorry for the thread hijack, hopefully some of this info is useful for you as well OP
It's all here, you'll like this thread:

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/318109/

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope there is a solution to this. Can Kalk be run at the same time to keep ph up?

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope there is a solution to this. Can Kalk be run at the same time to keep ph up?
I'm also interested on advice from reefers running low Ph due to excess CO2 using Triton.

Shall we just forget that number?

Bonfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been experiencing much the same with low pH due to CO2. I have macroalgea and a CO2 scrubber. My pH jumps when I dose the Core 7 3a3b supplements and falls again with in about an hour. I have had a window open now to compensate but when winter comes I am unsure I will be able to use the core 7 supplements because the tank at a pH of 7.9 does not use Alk with in the test range of my Hannah with in about a two week period.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back