Question for those that have a basement system. CO2!!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter anit77
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Ok, but why does the humid air extend the life of the media? What is happening chemically?

I’m not implying that the recycled air is the main benefit, but my logic (which isn’t always sound) would tell me that this is.

As folks have noted, a solid particle reacting with a gas is essentially limited to reacting on the surface of each grain. The interior is wasted.

If the air is humid enough, you can create a moist environment on the surface of each particle (like salt left out on a very humid day: it collects moisture and eventually dissolves into that collected water). That environment dissolves a little of the solid material, allow more complete use of it (but likely still not all of it).

FWIW, soda lime gots it first big use in anaesthesia where you want to reduce CO2 the patient is rebreathing. The moisture the patient lungs added allowed a lot more extensive use of the media than if the air was dry.
 
As folks have noted, a solid particle reacting with a gas is essentially limited to reacting on the surface of each grain. The interior is wasted.

If the air is humid enough, you can create a moist environment on the surface of each particle (like salt left out on a very humid day: it collects moisture and eventually dissolves into that collected water). That environment dissolves a little of the solid material, allow more complete use of it (but likely still not all of it).

FWIW, soda lime gots it first big use in anaesthesia where you want to reduce CO2 the patient is rebreathing. The moisture the patient lungs added allowed a lot more extensive use of the media than if the air was dry.

Thanks Randy. That makes a lot of sense. The soda lime I’m using is from a veterinary company and I believe it is to be used exactly as you describe.

I’ve been running my makeshift scrubber for a few days and my PH has stayed above 8.0 since. It was dropping down to as low as as 7.75. We’ll se how the media lasts. I don’t want to drill my skimmer lid, so I’ll probably just set my “scrubber,” which is just a BRS jug with holes in the bottom full of soda lime, on top of my skimmer where the air vents.

Really though, I just need it to get me through this period of having so few corals that I can’t use significant amounts of Kalk. Before my house fire /tank crash, I had tons of SPS and was dosing fully saturated Kalk water through ATO.....and always had > 8.0 PH.

f7154ddc45b020ad74eed93ba22ca0ee.jpg
 
See post #41.

The pH is doing much better with the scrubber and sodium hydroxide. I'm giving it some more time before I post an update.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 53 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new