Question to Randy - what methods do you use in your tanks?

thejacgues

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

First of all - thanks Randy for your contribution to spreading knowledge on this forum. Without you I wouldn't learn many things I have never heard about it, despite the fact I do not like going with the easiest and most common solution and thus I like to explore and experiment.

I wonder what macro, micro and carbon dosing methods you use in you tanks. I read somewhere that you had at least a bit unusual approach in terms of alkalinity.

Do you feed your corals or do you soley rely on bactoplankton?

Do you use any additional specifics such us amino acids? Anything else? Do you make them yourself?

P.S. do you know what ingredient might be used in Tropic Marin Elimi / Bactobalance carbon dosing? They advertise it as polymer from marine algae, which is not exclusively a nutrients export method, but first and foremost method of transferring PO4 to corals tissues along with bactoplankton feeding.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

First of all - thanks Randy for your contribution to spreading knowledge on this forum. Without you I wouldn't learn many things I have never heard about it, despite the fact I do not like going with the easiest and most common solution and thus I like to explore and experiment.

I wonder what macro, micro and carbon dosing methods you use in you tanks. I read somewhere that you had at least a bit unusual approach in terms of alkalinity.

Do you feed your corals or do you soley rely on bactoplankton?

Do you use any additional specifics such us amino acids? Anything else? Do you make them yourself?

P.S. do you know what ingredient might be used in Tropic Marin Elimi / Bactobalance carbon dosing? They advertise it as polymer from marine algae, which is not exclusively a nutrients export method, but first and foremost method of transferring PO4 to corals tissues along with bactoplankton feeding.
If memory serves, Randy currently does not have a reef aquarium.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is correct.

Here’s a detailed discussion of it when it was up for 20 years.

OP
OP
T

thejacgues

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank guys. @Randy Holmes-Farley let me ask it differently. How would you personally run a tank nowadays considering macro, micro and carbon supplementation?

I found this topic interesting:
So the alkalinity based on NaOH. So far I used Sodium Carbonate for kH and pH rising and maintenance.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank guys. @Randy Holmes-Farley let me ask it differently. How would you personally run a tank nowadays considering macro, micro and carbon supplementation?

I found this topic interesting:
So the alkalinity based on NaOH. So far I used Sodium Carbonate for kH and pH rising and maintenance.

Thiis is a few years old now, but I don't think my plan would have changed:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back