Questions on Hermit Crabs

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I really like hermit crabs.
I’ve always been a freshwater guy, but my LFS added a display that had to have had 200+ hermit crabs toiling about. I think it’s part of their filtration on their salt racks. The smallest hermit was maybe the size of a dime and the biggest was in their own little area and had to be softball sized.

Anyways, that was a few months ago. I researched these little guys and I said “well I’ll just get a little tank and put some sand and saltwater and they’ll be good.” Then I found out about live rock and decided I should add that. Then I learned not all reefs are 500 gallons.

That’s what tipped me over the edge of a reef tank. I didn’t know pico reefs, or nano reefs existed. All freshwater guys say it’s 55g and up.

Fast-forward to today and I have some plans. I want a nice little garden-of-war between some green star polyps and pulsing xenia.

What does this have to do with hermit crabs? Well I’m explaining.

They’re gonna be the only other creatures in this tank. Maybe a feather duster or two cause those are gorgeous, but you get the point.

Which leads me to a few questions:

Online, you always see 1 crab per gallon. I just can’t in my right mind see that. Is this inaccurate or am I overestimating their size?

What can I feed them? There’s never any positive answer. They’re detritivores, yes, but the corals aren’t going to be very dirty. Nori? Sinking pellets?

What are signs of a healthy hermit? When picking them out at the store, and monitoring acclimation and such.

I’ve heard turbo shells are the best shells for these guys. How many shells should I provide for each hermit? What size range?

Will they be alright in low-ish flow?

Will bright lights harm them?

Is 78F a good temp? (The two tanks next to this one are also 78, just makes sense really)

How are they so gosh-darn cheap?!?

Thank you, my “reef” appreciates it.
Oh and here’s a pic for reference. I plan on adding 10lbs of some base rock on this 5lbs of moani.

6CD496A1-16F4-4993-A646-88B47AD1E4ED.jpeg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I feed mine sinking pellets. You might consider some nassarius snails or conches also. They'll help turn over your sandbed to help keep it aerated. They're also a useful part of the cleanup crew. Just a thought. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Moderate light and water flow. Occasional calcium or water changes to restore CA levels. Theyre scavengers also and supplemented foods will suffice. One per gallon is a rule ive never heard of and find absurd , as it would suggest 10 crabs in a 10 gallon tank - Yikes.

Temp 77-79
salinity 1.024-1.026
ph 8.1-8.3
Nitrate < .5
Phos < .04
Ammonia < .03

Acclimate them slowly

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not all hermit crabs are the same so have a look to see exactly what you want.

The smallest ones tend to be know as blue leg or red leg and opinions vary as to how peaceful they are. I went for Scarlet hermits which are not the same as red legs, and are supposedly a bit more peaceful but a bit more expensive (but still not a lot of money). They also tend to be a little bit bigger than the red legs and I have 3 in my 13 gallon tank, which I think is about right for me; you could probably have a couple more if they were the only animals in the tank.

I do have some more 'Micro Hermits' (whatever they are!) coming soon, in a pack of live sand, but they will stay out of my main tank initially.

A softball size crab doesn't sound like the 'normal' sort of hermit crabs that people usually refer to when talking about reef hermits, so if they are that big I would check exactly what they are (and whether the smaller ones are the same or different).

OP
OP
S

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine sinking pellets. You might consider some nassarius snails or conches also. They'll help turn over your sandbed to help keep it aerated. They're also a useful part of the cleanup crew. Just a thought. :)
Oki doke. I know I have some conch shells!
Moderate light and water flow. Occasional calcium or water changes to restore CA levels. Theyre scavengers also and supplemented foods will suffice. One per gallon is a rule ive never heard of and find absurd , as it would suggest 10 crabs in a 10 gallon tank - Yikes.

Temp 77-79
salinity 1.024-1.026
ph 8.1-8.3
Nitrate < .5
Phos < .04
Ammonia < .03

Acclimate them slowly
I thought it was absurd. Thank you for the stats!
Not all hermit crabs are the same so have a look to see exactly what you want.

The smallest ones tend to be know as blue leg or red leg and opinions vary as to how peaceful they are. I went for Scarlet hermits which are not the same as red legs, and are supposedly a bit more peaceful but a bit more expensive (but still not a lot of money). They also tend to be a little bit bigger than the red legs and I have 3 in my 13 gallon tank, which I think is about right for me; you could probably have a couple more if they were the only animals in the tank.

I do have some more 'Micro Hermits' (whatever they are!) coming soon, in a pack of live sand, but they will stay out of my main tank initially.

A softball size crab doesn't sound like the 'normal' sort of hermit crabs that people usually refer to when talking about reef hermits, so if they are that big I would check exactly what they are (and whether the smaller ones are the same or different).
Micro hermits? From that indo-pacific place? I’ve heard of them. Thanks for the info on species. I forgot not everything is like a dog when it comes to species vs breed. Thank you very much.

Thank you all very much for the info!!

OP
OP
S

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again!
What’s this guy eating/pooping/something.
Fluffy and white
Appeared in the last hour. (Keep in mind this guy is alone in here for now.)

Attachments

• 1E10F773-93C6-4443-A4F4-3A7774B7D2A3.jpeg
    1E10F773-93C6-4443-A4F4-3A7774B7D2A3.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
S

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again!
What’s this guy eating/pooping/something.
Fluffy and white
Appeared in the last hour. (Keep in mind this guy is alone in here for now.)
Here’s a picture of that white fluff. He’s not messing with it anymore. There is another hermit in this tank which the man at the LFS gave me for free cause it wasn’t doing so hot. Did my guy here kill and eat him? There’s little bits of the fluff strewn about.

Attachments

• C7C69906-5B66-4C28-B0C4-1E0DB3DD3D08.jpeg
    C7C69906-5B66-4C28-B0C4-1E0DB3DD3D08.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 49

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't know enough to know what that is but can you describe it a bit more? Have you taken it out of the tank to have a look. Was there one or 2 hermits in there? Have either of them molted?

Is it sticky or fibrous? I assume you've ruled out anything obvious such as filter floss?

OP
OP
S

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know enough to know what that is but can you describe it a bit more? Have you taken it out of the tank to have a look. Was there one or 2 hermits in there? Have either of them molted?

Is it sticky or fibrous? I assume you've ruled out anything obvious such as filter floss?
It’s sorta sticky. It has the consistency of very wet gum. Sli
It’s hard to pick apart, but there are rifts where it’s easy to tear.
I have taken the last piece out, he’s eaten the rest.
There were two hermits, but one was not doing well.

It’s not filter floss, cause I’ve never had any in this system. I can’t think of anything else that could have entered the tank either. Especially cause he found it in such a short time frame.

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have been a piece of molt, or it could have just been something he found and picked off your live rock.

Also, when your hermits start looking for new shells, they might swap back and forth between their old shell and the new shell frequently. In my experience, they’re pretty picky when it comes to choosing a new shell. So when you see them in a new shell, I would recommend leaving in their old shell for a little while incase they end up deciding later on that they don’t like the new one. They will eventually settle for one.

OP
OP
S

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have been a piece of molt, or it could have just been something he found and picked off your live rock.

Also, when your hermits start looking for new shells, they might swap back and forth between their old shell and the new shell frequently. In my experience, they’re pretty picky when it comes to choosing a new shell. So when you see them in a new shell, I would recommend leaving in their old shell for a little while incase they end up deciding later on that they don’t like the new one. They will eventually settle for one.
Okie dokie. Thank ya

Back