Quick filter sock water level question

biokeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a quick photo of my filter sock section. Should the water level in there be higher? I’m noticing a decent amount of noise in this section and I think it may be from the water cascading down into the filter socks. I’ve tried changing the flow rate from my Vectra but it seems to have no effect.

If this is the issue, I’m not quite sure how I’d raise the water level to be so high without affecting my skimmer section. Aside from that, it’d also require me to add more water and make it prone to overflowing in a power outage…

Any help is appreciated!

995056AF-A344-40DC-B208-0D3A0D05CD76.jpeg

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a quick photo of my filter sock section. Should the water level in there be higher? I’m noticing a decent amount of noise in this section and I think it may be from the water cascading down into the filter socks. I’ve tried changing the flow rate from my Vectra but it seems to have no effect.

If this is the issue, I’m not quite sure how I’d raise the water level to be so high without affecting my skimmer section. Aside from that, it’d also require me to add more water and make it prone to overflowing in a power outage…

Any help is appreciated!

995056AF-A344-40DC-B208-0D3A0D05CD76.jpeg
Ideally you want filter sock at the water level in that chamber.

Is there any way to lower the sock? Or just raise the water level in that chamber only.

Definably don't overfill the sump as to were it would over flow during a power outage.

OP
OP
biokeeper

biokeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don’t see a way to change the level in that chamber only. The water flows directly into the next chamber from the bottom.

The socks are also set in place at that height. It’s from the Fiji cube baffle kit.

543DE53E-284A-40C4-89D1-E3694082547B.jpeg

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are ok. I will have to look at mine in morning to see the water height difference in mine. I think it looks the same but my design is a bit different.

From my intakes to the socks I have a bevel there that the water has to flow over into the sock area. About 1/4". Is yours the same? Allows even flow to socks

Also when the water overflows to the sock area you need to make sure the sock is pressed down to whole so that all water goes into the sock and not around it. This way there is no 2 to 3 inch drop of water trickling. This would make lots of noise.

2 ways you can silence. 1 is to change socks to cloth 200 microns. Then add silencers to put on tip. Last but not least is to make cover to go over compartment. I have all this and I can't hear mine. They are nice and silent. When I hear something it means water is going around the sock or time to clean them

Reef Diaper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some filter socks are susceptible to leaking past the plastic rim. This is something I noticed when developing the Reef Diaper and it's the main reason why I added a seal. Your filter sock might feel like it has a snug fit, but if you look closely at the backside, you may find that is only contacting a couple points around the rim. This leaves gaps where unfiltered water can bypass the sock. I have found that the surface finish and tolerance of the filter sock bores can vary significantly from sump to sump. Some are just fine, but others can have excessive leakage. Our flange seal is tapered with multiple lips which are very flexible. This allows it to work with a wider range of tolerances and surface finishes. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked mine out and I have about the same drop that you have. I was pretty sure mine was the same. There is no issues with your setup. You will just need to make some changes to get it quite. I would look at making some of the changes I suggested.

I found a picture of the top of mine to show you what I'm talking about for the silencers and lid. I ran mine a long time without silencers and it was quite due to the lid. But with the silencers, I can run without the lid and its pretty quite. But with both its silent. You will see how the socks are flush and the water must flow through the socks and not around them and fall down and make noise. If you dont have them seated properly you will know because it will be noisy. The lip lets the water come over to the socks with no water noise.

I have synergy silencers. You can find them all over the internet for cheaper I'm sure. But their combo with socks is a good deal.

DSC_6295.jpg

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also checked out those reef diapers. Pretty cool concept. Its pretty cool you can change out the socks by throwing them away and not have to wash them. I guess that ring or seating assistant is really nice if you have your sock holes the wrong size and not able to get them seated properly or just get some brand of sock that doesn't have the proper diameter. Obviously, all socks are not made the same size etc. I have had a few brands that were not ideal.

OP
OP
biokeeper

biokeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked mine out and I have about the same drop that you have. I was pretty sure mine was the same. There is no issues with your setup. You will just need to make some changes to get it quite. I would look at making some of the changes I suggested.

I found a picture of the top of mine to show you what I'm talking about for the silencers and lid. I ran mine a long time without silencers and it was quite due to the lid. But with the silencers, I can run without the lid and its pretty quite. But with both its silent. You will see how the socks are flush and the water must flow through the socks and not around them and fall down and make noise. If you dont have them seated properly you will know because it will be noisy. The lip lets the water come over to the socks with no water noise.

I have synergy silencers. You can find them all over the internet for cheaper I'm sure. But their combo with socks is a good deal.

DSC_6295.jpg
Thanks for this. I am currently using the silencers that came with the Fuji cube baffle kit, but maybe I’ll have to give those synergy ones a try. I’ll also have to look into fabricating some sort of cover for that baffle section. I think between doing those two things, it should help bring the noise down even more.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I designed my sump like 8 or so years ago with noise and efficiency in mind. The lid is the biggest noise suppression I think. Let me know how it works out for you

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back