OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to catch 7 baby banggai the day after they were released but they had already learned how to hide in the anemones, so I had to let them stay in the tank.

2 weeks later, 5 are still there and every night they feast on the angels' eggs.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday in the evening I put a Jebao RW-8 blasting the refugium. The amount of debris that it lifted was scary and it all ended up in the tank.

Today the tank itself looks clinically clean. It's always the same, whenever I disturb the sand or the rocks and a lot of detritus comes out, the next day the tank looks absolutely clean.

I wish I knew why this happens.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I broke a few branches of my largest Milka stylo. She didn't like it.

20200221_150915.jpg

I never had such a strong reaction from brushing against a coral. Even the magnifica doesn't cause such a strong reaction.

I guess I found the other thing I am allergic to beyond tigers: Milka stylos.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As corals grow, the tank seems to demand more flow. The green slimmer is growing like a palm tree, with the branches curving down.

I was running the whole tank with a single Jebao CP-150 and I added another. This allows me to play a bit with the schedule.

Screenshot_20200229-134307_AQLink V2.jpg

Screenshot_20200229-141845_Sheets.jpg

There are 2 high tides but they're not synced in a natural way.

The main constraint is that I don't want to disturb the fish at night, so they have a very long low tide during the whole night and a very short one from 2 PM till 3 PM.

The main meal of the day takes place at 9 PM and the pumps run in Nature mode from 9 PM until 9 AM. Most of the breeding takes place after dinner and the fish appreciate a calmer environment.

The pumps have similar cycles, but they're offset by 30 minutes to help with flow diversity. Screenshot_20200229-134203_Sheets.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some time ago I worked on a huge personal project, a doc series about cichlids from Lake Tanganyika, where facts and fiction intertwined: "Tales of shells and dust".

The last thing I expected was to find a connection between the Corona virus and "Tales of Shells and Dust".

The series was produced from 2013 until 2019 and is full of prophecies, some of them unexpected and unplanned.

Not all of the prophecies were written by me and the words of Peter Wadhams keep coming to my mind again and again, so I decided bring some attention to them.

See what Peter Wadhams says at 46:47 (the interview was recorded in 2018).

There are much more terrible prophecies in this chapter and I hope they don't come true soon, but the stars are aligning.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, when I was returning home after a walk with my dog, I saw a fish in the middle of the street, it looked like a carp weighing around a pound.

There were 2 dogs nearby, so one of them must have caught it in a dam 2 miles away and left it in my street.

As I was aproaching, I saw he had a deep wound on the side but then his mouth moved, so I picked him up and I went to the nearest abandoned swimming pool and dropped him there. He sank to the bottom but continued to breath.

I watched him for about 15 minutes and then went back home to fetch a bucket and a net, so now after not having freshwater fish for many years, I have a carp in my swimming pool. The pool is full of dragonflies and a few frogs.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I almost killed the heraldi angel male.

I was trying to feed a small piece of shrimp to the male wasp. The heraldi saw it and tried to get it, I made a sudden movement, they both got scared and the wasp stung the heraldi.

He left shaking his head violently and then landed on the sand. Then he swam again and landed right next to the female wasp. She was getting nervous and I was afraid he was going to get a double dose, but he swam away.

He did this a few more times and kept shaking his head. He seems recovered now fortunately.

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds very luck with the wasp fish.

To continue our discussion from YouTube - what is important to you when it comes to presenting a perception of depth?

I am considering a very similar dimension tank to yours (but no existing tank) - 54”x28”x24” I think maybe I will lose a lot of depth vs your extra 7” front to back, however this is still much wider than most planted tanks.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few techniques to enhance the sense of depth. You can see how I applied most of them on the right half of my tank. I think I was successful there. On the left, not so much.

- Have an escape point. It's a point where you can see the back glass;
- Create perspective lines that point to that escape point;
- The tank will look deeper if the path that leads to the escape point is not straight and is also in a diagonal and has a few curves;
- Create layers, one behind the other. You can use rock and especially color to create these layers.
- Put larger and less detailed stuff (rocks and corals) in front and smaller more detailed stuff at the back.
- I know this is a difficult one in reef tanks, but raise the ground level at the back.

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few techniques to enhance the sense of depth. You can see how I applied most of them on the right half of my tank. I think I was successful there. On the left, not so much.

- Have an escape point. It's a point where you can see the back glass;
- Create perspective lines that point to that escape point;
- The tank will look deeper if the path that leads to the escape point is not straight and is also in a diagonal and has a few curves;
- Create layers, one behind the other. You can use rock and especially color to create these layers.
- Put larger and less detailed stuff (rocks and corals) in front and smaller more detailed stuff at the back.
- I know this is a difficult one in reef tanks, but raise the ground level at the back.

Thanks very much! Yes very similar to planted aquariums (golden ratio etc.)

I was intending to go bare bottom (I have very limited time for maintenance) and have both black back and floor... do you think this will be a problem?

do you know how much rock you used (better yet do you have ‘in progress’ photos of your rock work?) I love it - differing heights, multiple triangles and islands. I find the bonsai or pile of rocks approach not pleasing to the eye.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back