Radion G5's - Mobius

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Joel Franco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I control my mp40s and vectra l2 using the Mobius?
With all of the issues that Mobius came with from the get go (no sure what the beta testers were doing) I would not want any additional equipment added on until they fix the entire app. Personally, WIFI should have been the way to go instead of Bluetooth.

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Disappointing that people are having these problems.
My 2 xr30s connect 7/10 times. Usually all I have to do is remove the lights from tank (through mobius) and factory reset both then add them again. All of this is done through Mobius.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was screwing around with the app the other day and eventually the lights stopped responding altogether with constant Bluetooth errors. Rebooted phone first, which did not work, and then killed power to all 3 lights. That part I can control with Apex and then they worked fine. I had a few issues on initial setup and a few since but that was the worst so far.

I think I said before the lightning and cloud cover templates on my main screen just disappeared. Last night I opened the current swatch (as they call them) and turned lightning to 100%, saved, and nothing whatsoever. Also tried cloud cover and nothing.

I'll second that motion of not worrying about all the legacy support until what they have now works reliably with the G5 lights they are selling that aren't controllable any other way!!!!!!

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did nothing on iPhone
Other than maybe connecting a little faster I really don't see any difference and I read the what's new on app store. Lightning and cloud cover templates are still missing on my app. Time will tell with reliability. They mentioned firmware updates but after going through everything don't see any mechanism for checking for or updating light firmware.

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as I don’t the color cycle or anything on this part of the app my settings on all 4 lights stays connected on all 4. I push light cycle and only one light works

944897FD-4DF3-42E0-85A0-CB5B627DD0B5.png

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well well well....the crap i find after the fact...geeeeez, i have to get better at researching aquarium equipment...

i'm new to the hobby, literally, first tank is only 2 weeks wet - a little lucky in that regard since i don't really "need" the lights for any corals right now. but, i bought all Ecotech equipment - MP40s, Vectra M2, G5 XR15s and Reeflink - thinking i'd have the best of the best and be able to control it all very easily. one of my lights came with cracks (known issue on website, again found it after the fact), but was quickly swapped out for a new one thankfully. now, i've finally gotten my lights up and go to connect everything online and start playing, nope... G5's arent controllable on ESL/Reeflink. Only via Mobius. So i download Mobius on my Samsung Note 10 and nada...zero devices found. Very disappointed. I thought Ecotech was the best? Maybe they are and I'm doing something wrong or my experience is an anomaly, who knows? I can say, i certainly haven't been impressed thus far....granted, i'm VERY new to the hobby.

How does an industry leading company come to market offering someone new to their space multiple pieces of equipment that cannot communicate with each other? And more still, cannot be controlled effectively? I'm truly blown away, and not in a good sense of the saying.

Calling Ecotech tomorrow. Email already sent, no reply yet.

Last edited:

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on previous post:
Finally got the G5s connected to Mobius. I decided to turn on everything on my phone - turns out it needed GPS Location services in order to find the lights. They connected right away without a hitch once discovered. They are up and running now, currently moonlighting down to darkness for the night. I don't think I'm going to play with the platform too much until there is some clear direction as to how to operate the platform. For now, it seems to be working - chose a sunrise/sunset and attached a preset template.

Still really wish the pumps were available for control under one platform. I did receive an email today from Ecotech apologizing for any frustration this may have caused along with the mention of near-term future updates that will encompass the pumps. They mentioned the Covid-19 impact having caused a severe slow-down in the development of the update. And, of course, for me that is perfectly understandable.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on previous post:
Finally got the G5s connected to Mobius. I decided to turn on everything on my phone - turns out it needed GPS Location services in order to find the lights. They connected right away without a hitch once discovered. They are up and running now, currently moonlighting down to darkness for the night. I don't think I'm going to play with the platform too much until there is some clear direction as to how to operate the platform. For now, it seems to be working - chose a sunrise/sunset and attached a preset template.

Still really wish the pumps were available for control under one platform. I did receive an email today from Ecotech apologizing for any frustration this may have caused along with the mention of near-term future updates that will encompass the pumps. They mentioned the Covid-19 impact having caused a severe slow-down in the development of the update. And, of course, for me that is perfectly understandable.
Why would it need GPS location services? What is ETM thinking? It's not like that is even really an important issues when it comes to regional lighting as people use it based on what they want and not where they are located.
I think a lot of people with multiple lights might have better luck if they unplug all of them and then plug them in one at a time and program each light then unplug it and plug in the next lamp and program that. Bluetooth is really a horrible communication standard. If you have neighbors there can literally be dozens of BT devices broadcasting at the same time in a narrow band of spectrum. I noticed that in my Car if my iPhone is connected to my Fossil Gen5 watch the car stereo has issues with voice dialing numbers. I sometimes have to reboot the phone in order to get the three items working together via BT.

Tim at EcoTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mobius does not require GPS location services. It's likely this was just a coincidence.

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mobius does not require GPS location services. It's likely this was just a coincidence.
I haven't turned GPS off yet to see if it actually mattered, but I do know that my phone didn't find the G5s on multiple attempts until after I turned on the location icon button
Screenshot_20200420-134616_Samsung Internet.jpg

Since then, they've worked fine. Yesterday I tried to play around with them - all the templates seem to be verrrrry blue (wanted to try and tone the blue down), but it would only change one of the lights. I'd love to have some kind of tutorial that will help with customized settings. Is there anything out there that anyone has found?

Floribraska

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tim at EcoTech I have not had any connectivity issues with Mobius before last night, where I couldn't get Mobius to connect to anything (4x XR30Pros and 4x Versa's) for the life of me. I gave up and went to bed. Read this thread, and noticed that GPS location was accidentally turned off on my Samsung S9+. Turned it back on, and BOOM instantly connected back again. Doesn't feel like a coincidence to me!

Floribraska

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have not had any connectivity issues with Mobius before last night, where I couldn't get Mobius to connect to anything (4x XR30Pros and 4x Versa's) for the life of me. I tried all the typical stuff like power cycling, restarting phone, etc. I eventually gave up frustrated and went to bed. Read this thread, and noticed that GPS location was accidentally turned off on my Samsung S9+. Turned it back on, and BOOM instantly connected back again. Doesn't feel like a coincidence to me!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back