Radion vs Hydra for Freshwater

Itchy Trigger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for some LEDs for a 10 ft freshwater (large CA/SA cichlids) tank. I've been using AI Prime 16 fixtures, which are ok, but I need a little more intensity for visual appeal only (there are no plants or obviously corals in the tank). I want lots of control over color, good shimmer and an easy method of controlling the lighting schedule and color.

The AI Primes are pretty good, so I was thinking of just upgrading to the Hydras for double the number of pucks. But then I was thinking maybe I should try the Ecotech Radions instead. I've had Kessils before, and LOVE the shimmer, but HATE the color of the Tuna Sun lights. The light is green and disgusting to my eyes.

So I guess my question is, how do the Hydra and Radion compare in terms of color control, shimmer and programability. I do have a couple of Vortech pumps in the tank, and I believe you can control the Vortechs and Radions via the web, which is definitely appealing.

Thoughts?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The full dimensions if the tank are appreciated.
Radions are roughly 2x the power of like AI's/Hydra.
Newest radions have a much different spread pattern than hydra/AI
Biggest fw knock on AI's is some feel it is overall too warm.
Few fw use the much more expensive Radions.

That said there is a super deal on fw xr15 g5's ATM

With the he line and greens it may not fit your " likes" though
Both off may only cost you about 12 out of 90w though.

OP
OP
Itchy Trigger

Itchy Trigger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Oreo. Tank is 120" x 36" and 30" high. That really is a great deal that you linked there... But yeah, lime + green + a lot of cool white, which looks sort of green also (to my eyes), that sounds almost like it would be in the Kessil Tuna Sun range... I really like the warm look of the AI.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Oreo. Tank is 120" x 36" and 30" high. That really is a great deal that you linked there... But yeah, lime + green + a lot of cool white, which looks sort of green also (to my eyes), that sounds almost like it would be in the Kessil Tuna Sun range... I really like the warm look of the AI.
All depends on the quality of the white diodes more than the added green. Kessils, in my opinion used the worst whites .
I have a "theory" that Kessil did undocumented changes to the spectrum of the tuna sun over its production run.
Earliest were bad but then they improved the red output.Kessil bread and butter was reef lights. Think fw for themwas just an afterthought for the most part.

I'm disappointed that Radion didn't publish a spectrum.
The one actual photo I saw had a really nice clean white tone judging by the wall splash. But no info on how it was run.

I did a mock up of the light with of course some assumptions and it really was more "magenta" centric even with the limes and green BUT I also used 90 cri cool whites.

Point is it seems to be "not yellow" or "not green" prone but no guarantees.
Used lesser cool whites (80cri) and the results were similar.

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you're using a lid, canopy, or how you want to mount but I've always liked the Fluval lights for freshwater. at 10' x 36" you'd need a few of them and may need , but I use the Aquasky for african cichlids and Plant for large CA/SA (with minimal plants in tank) on 6' x18" 150 gal tanks. I put them right on top of the glass lids I use. If you want warmer color you may want to check out the Plant. I've used AI freshwater on planted tanks before but kept going back to the Fluval ones.

OP
OP
Itchy Trigger

Itchy Trigger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, guess who got the last two? I figured if I don't like them I can return them... If I like them I can find a third somewhere.

OP
OP
Itchy Trigger

Itchy Trigger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing... I realize that no other fixture shimmers the way a Kessil does... I do get some shimmer from the AI Primes that I currently use. Would the Radions do any better at that than the AI lights? Or is it pretty much the same?

I was thinking maybe I could add a few Kessils in between the Radions for some dramatic shimmer without losing the nice color of the Radions. Does that sound like it might work? And if I did that would the A80 Kessils be strong enough to do the trick? And Tuna Blue or Tuna Sun? I've tried the Tuna Sun and I hated them - way too green. Maybe the Tuna Blue on its whitest setting would work better?

cbedfellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why choose either for freshwater, I think there are better options but if you are sold em its your tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back