Green Hair Algae battleplan?

• Total voters

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nervous nelly checking in. As soon as I put the rock back in tank from blackout and moved things slightly orp tanked
Hopefully a normal change non harmful would feel horrible if I pinched a fish moving rock .Tammarin and Mandy not seen since but not abnormal for hands in tank to freak em out into hiding.
Stupid stupid stupid leave the tank alone I was happy with it should have let it do its thing still

879D5634-CCCB-47AA-A5D3-105B6E64E1CC.png

Hopefully things bounce back for you and everyone's okay. It's always hard when we change something and something suddenly rears its head we don't expect.

Last edited:

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nervous nelly checking in. As soon as I put the rock back in tank from blackout and moved things slightly orp tanked
Hopefully a normal change non harmful would feel horrible if I pinched a fish moving rock .Tammarin and Mandy not seen since but not abnormal for hands in tank to freak em out into hiding.
Stupid stupid stupid leave the tank alone I was happy with it should have let it do its thing still

879D5634-CCCB-47AA-A5D3-105B6E64E1CC.png
It is expected I think. It will be fine. :)

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully things bounce back for you and everyone's okay. It's always hard when we change something and something suddenly rears its head we done expect.
It is expected I think. It will be fine. :)
Thanks guys I’m thinking it will be fine and just from rock adjustments not die off of fish. In the end will be good to tie in orp drop to a cause. Been steady within 20 points first time to see a 100 + drop. I know it’s best used for ozone control but it’s immediate reaction to a die off seems a good alert to receive in case it’s something actionable on my part. I may just be driving myself nuts lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the search continues for a possum wrasse pic. He was sighted but went into a hole in rock out the other side and gone again. He looked fat and happy anyway :) Did catch mandarin tried some flash setting not to impressive but he has double in size and colors are vibrant
1EDB02F9-8707-4CB2-9CBE-A087752686EA.jpeg
92326709-4900-448A-919C-D227E2701D67.jpeg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ray did u rinse the rock off like we discussed before dropping it back in? Just to remove any dead organics from the algae losing its light source? It looks nice and clean anyways :)

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrubbed and rinsed before reintro to tank. Bottom old top still pale green but no tufts of gha left.
If I do another rock will be fully submerged and get a misting of peroxide I think. WIll let this settle in before I decide to do any more tho. Orp is back on the rise and dont want to shock / freak out the inhabitants for a bit. THe tammarin is prolly having mini heartattacks in there somewhere hope to see him back today

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrubbed and rinsed before reintro to tank. Bottom old top still pale green but no tufts of gha left.
If I do another rock will be fully submerged and get a misting of peroxide I think. WIll let this settle in before I decide to do any more tho. Orp is back on the rise and dont want to shock / freak out the inhabitants for a bit. THe tammarin is prolly having mini heartattacks in there somewhere hope to see him back today
Hopefully u can work your way through the rock and get some purple on them before the green next round. And then fill that puppy up! :)

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you're on the right track!
Thanks Jeff. After the neglect with wife's issues things are turning around. Mostly it's me maintaining regular maint :)
Goid news Tamnarin is out and about seems any change he needs 24 hours to relax. Hood to k ow the orp drop was all rock reintroduction related. Next cleaning will be done better full coverage with peroxide misting and see how that relates to my numbers. May scrape some coraline of plugs and glass make a slurry to try and boost its spread on rocks.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey hey hey my salt minded friends, breaking news my order of Masstick premixed came in today!
Masstick is only reason I have a CBB getting fat and staying happy in my dream, Masstick powder mixing not my fav task tho well worth the effort to be sure. Quick shout out to @Jeff@CoralVue from who I got info on who was getting stocked next. Awesome customer service with very quick response. Now I just need a wireless control for my icecap gyres to become available ;)

So did the fish like it as well as powder? Pics say yes

5EAD51AB-13B3-4379-AEB8-3F6827E61FAF.jpeg 45C8856F-D8A8-4486-8487-67F1AAB96DCD.jpeg B7A2D7A5-2AD9-4C26-B9BC-8CD3C0B4091C.jpeg A525A4E6-4BDA-451A-B09B-DF31EB05DD53.jpeg

It's in stock and on sale now!

I believe it will sell out before the end of the day.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's in stock and on sale now!

I believe it will sell out before the end of the day.

Woah 199.oo for just the WiFi controller? I thought it was going to be in 100.oo range for just controller. Looks like for 209 I can get controller and new 2k gyre for extra 10 bucks Unless that 199 is a mistake on site?

Edit: the price is 100 and now shows it on site. Mighta been a glitch on my end or really was incorrect on site when I looked first. Either way I got one coming baby!
Thanks again for the heads up @Jeff@CoralVue! You da man!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question of the year found below chime in if inclined

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah 199.oo for just the WiFi controller? I thought it was going to be in 100.oo range for just controller. Looks like for 209 I can get controller and new 2k gyre for extra 10 bucks Unless that 199 is a mistake on site?

This IS a mistake! It was correct on the backend, but not correct on the front-end. It's actually $99.99. We just updated it. Please clear your cache if you don't see it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This IS mistake! It was correct on the backend, but not correct on the front-end. It's actually $99.99. We just updated it. Please clear your cache if you don't see it!
Awesome! I edited my post above as I went back to see cart price. This may have been a fortunate glitch saved em from selling out before I got mine :p Looking forward to plugging it in ! Love my Icecap Gyres and this will take em to the next level! Thanks again for heads up

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question of the year found below chime in if inclined

Sunset and You need counseling.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I edited my post above as I went back to see cart price. This may have been a fortunate glitch saved em from selling out before I got mine :p Looking forward to plugging it in ! Love my Icecap Gyres and this will take em to the next level! Thanks again for heads up
Thanks for reminding me Ray! Just ordered one.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Thursday salty friends! Good day on the reef today and another coming tomorrow. Today was mounting day for my ATI 8 bulb dimmable Sunpower fixture. Got it level and about 11 inches off the water right now. Only thing to do is straighten wife’s picture behind it or move to new location :)
Friday my icecap wireless controller comes from in to hook both gyres up to. This will give me so many more options for glow and get the gyres working together! Super geek psyched! Here’s my new view from the couch :cool:
51F9CE26-C8F8-4AC2-85E6-A3C005C7C9C3.jpeg
28801E3B-2F31-4450-BD2B-A11C7C90CE8E.jpeg

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Thursday salty friends! Good day on the reef today and another coming tomorrow. Today was mounting day for my ATI 8 bulb dimmable Sunpower fixture. Got it level and about 11 inches off the water right now. Only thing to do is straighten wife’s picture behind it or move to new location :)
Friday my icecap wireless controller comes from in to hook both gyres up to. This will give me so many more options for glow and get the gyres working together! Super geek psyched! Here’s my new view from the couch :cool:
51F9CE26-C8F8-4AC2-85E6-A3C005C7C9C3.jpeg
28801E3B-2F31-4450-BD2B-A11C7C90CE8E.jpeg

Message me if you need help getting going! [email protected]

These videos should answer most of your questions.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back