Raege's 75 Gallon Adventure

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by Raege, Jun 2, 2018.

?
  1. GFO Nopox and patience

45.5%
  2. Pull rocks full scrub replace

45.5%
  3. Chem warfare and remove and scrub then replace

4.5%
  4. Chem warfare brush rock in tank

4.5%
  1. Raege

Raege Copper Band Butterfly Servant R2R Supporter Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Hello all, I've been out of circulation since underground filters were the way it was done. I've been catching up on the 1 or 2 changes ( lol holy moly a lot more than 1 or 2 things to catch up on) since last I was in the hobby for about a year. A lot of books, websites, and if course lurking here gave me the confidence to jump back in.

So far not much to share or show except a newly cleaned tank and sump. I've picked up what was missing from this Craigslist find but still found I needed a new plumbing kit ( just ordered online) as local stores didn't have what I needed to complete last bulkhead connections.

Rocks are getting a first soaking and once last items arrive mid next week will aquascape and start the cycle going. Looking forward to documenting this tank and sharing its progress with everyone.

IMG_3251.JPG

2. hogfxstc

hogfxstc Member

Welcome to the Reef!

Raege and NY_Caveman like this.
  3. sneub

sneub Active Member R2R Supporter

Welcome aboard

Raege likes this.
  4. Raege

Raege Copper Band Butterfly Servant R2R Supporter Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

IMG_3259.JPG IMG_3261.JPG IMG_3260.JPG Did a little playing around with possible aquascapes. Give a shout out if you like one better than others or see any potential issues. Thanks for checking em out

Alexc2403, Hemmdog, Fudsey and 2 others like this.
  5. NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman Troglodyte R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

3 for me. Very interesting shape. I may even separate that left structure a little. Pure opinion.

Hemmdog and Raege like this.
  6. Raege

Got around to installing a 20 amp dedicated tank outlet and finally did a water test. The tank held fine so once New bulkheads and overflow parts get here tomorrow can start for real.
    Darkened the back of the tank today as well. My wife wasnt thrilled with paint option so I tried Gila privacy film. I was worried it wouldn't be dark enough but it doesn't look bad so far. One pic is with halides other darker pic just the actinctics

IMG_3283.JPG

IMG_3284.JPG

Hemmdog, Fudsey and NY_Caveman like this.
  7. Raege

Not much to update with work getting in the way. RODI unit is running picked up the aquatics 4 stage to start with at LFS. I thought 100 gallons a day would be output in a workday but looks like 5-7 gal an hour plus needed to flush 30 gallons thru to clean preservatives from membrane.
    I may need a trip to Salt tank rehab. Keep looking at what I want to have equipment wise compared to what I got with tank to start up from Craigslist deal.
    Future want to upgrade sump get a apex controller and cpl canisters for carbon and pros. The wife wants the pretty lights with clouds storms and lunar cycles so Coralife fixture may not have much of a life span.

Future thoughts gear not in priority order
    Skimz 36 sump Refugium
    Pair of Hydea Hd led lights
    Apex controller
    Cpl reactors in line
    Dosing pumps
    Auto top off

Stocking my wife's been going thru the books and her thoughts seem to be changing turns out she is into Wrasses and coral choices seem to be leaning towards mushrooms. Good news is have quite a few weeks cycling to get some gear and finalize a timeline for addition.
    Hopefully have some pics in a week of a tank with water and rocks cooking away

Fudsey and Miles Williams like this.
  8. Raege

IMG_3328.JPG IMG_3329.JPG Well the tank is cooking away first sea life casualty is rotting away. I went for 1 Jumbo Shrimp figure everything else that goes in is gonna cost so might as well go top shelf with the starter ;-)

Turns out practicing the scape and taking photos rock by rock if em going together to recreate wasn't needed as we tweaked as it went into the tank. I never took into account the overflow so we shifted a bit.
    Water is still cloudy as I didn't put enough sand in for my bosses liking so dropped another bag but clear enough for general idea.

9. Raege

Well I couldn't help but test for ammonia to see how it's progressing. Results came back at
    Ammonia .75 mg per liter with ph at 8.6
    Nitrites. .5 mg per liter
    Awesome to see the numbers coming in as cycle progresses. It seems cycle is going rather quick. Perhaps a combination of the arag alive sand and Bio S from Aquaforest I used.
    Here's to making progress and knowing I didn't screw the pooch yet lol

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Fudsey likes this.
  10. Raege

Test 2 tank day 4
    Ammonia still .75
    Nitrites 2mg
    Nitrate 10mg
    For tank upgrade news looks like kids are pitching in to get me the skimz 36 sump. Current sump is about 10 gallons when set to reef devil skimmer height so going to approx 30 gallons with a refugium and auto top off tank is gonna be sweet!

Test 3 tank day 5
    Ammonia .75 mg
    Nitrites 5 mg
    Nitrates 25 mg

Test 4 day 6
    Ammonia .5 mg
    Nitrites 5.0 mg
    Nitrates 50 mg

Test 5 day 7
    Ammonia 4 ppm
    Nitrites off the chart
    Nitrates 40

Test 6 day 8
    Ammonia 3 ppm
    Nitrites off the chart
    Nitrates 100+

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  11. Raege

Got some new gear coming in mid next week.
    Skimz 36 sump courtesy of my sons and wife for Father's Day
    Ice cap ATO
    Finnex hpg 300 watt heater (swapping out couple lower watt in display for quarantine tank) as temp not as dialed in as I want having almost 2 degree swing 76-78
    Tunze 6500 waterproof led for refugium
    2 jebao PP8 wireless wavemaker with controllers
    After this settles in thinking on a couple reactors and wife is set on getting led lighting
    Will get some pics of sump once installed

12. Raege

Hi all, well got my delivery in. Unfortunately the skimz sump came in pretty much destroyed. The end reservoir and next wall in were kicked in and three cross braces were also snapped. Folks at Reef2land aren't thrilled with skimz as this is a usual issue. They are great with customer service and ordered me a new one and when I asked to just return and get a trigger sump instead they are trying to turn the new skimz sump around for me.
    As for the wavemaker the 2 Jebao SW8 are in the tank and really stirring it up!
    Ammonia has been zero for 3 days but nitrites are still sky high but coming down now so closing in on fish time getting into the DT

13. Raege

Nitrogen cycle seems stalled somewhat or numbers were so high it will take a few more to see the drop register on my test kit. Still have seen color spreading on the rocks so took a few pics of that and my jebao stirring the tank.

IMG_3404.JPG

IMG_3405.JPG

IMG_3406.JPG

IMG_3409.JPG

IMG_3410.JPG

14. Raege

20% water change today. Nitrates are now in readable range nitrites still off the charts and ammonia holding at zero.
    Any temp best for the nitrogen cycle or salinity range? At 80 and 1.025 now.

15. NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman Troglodyte R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

That is exactly the temp and salinity I cycled my rocks at in the bucket. I note Randy H-F noted in the past that the Nitrate test can be affected by Nitrite. If you search you can find some examples, here is one:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/high-nitrite-nitrate-what-now.390258/#post-4720994

WV Reefer and Raege like this.
  16. Raege

Thanks Caveman didnt know that about nitrates being thrown off by nitrites. Was doubting my Sera test kit but lfs came up with same numbers.
    Hopefully the livesand and bio s additive i have been using since starting cycle will show an effect on nitrates soon

NY_Caveman likes this.
  17. Raege

Caught a break with the cycle! New inhabitants feeling good. The yellow tang named blondie McGee must be part pig cause his food intake has been nuts. The fire fish named showboat loves being front and center of tank. Acclimation from QT to tank went better than I expected and they took to home right away stress free.
    Also finally closing in on skimmer tuning the etss reef devil gets good reviews but has been very touchy trying to get the foam right. Here's a cpl pics

IMG_3438.JPG IMG_3437.JPG IMG_3436.JPG

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Fudsey, WV Reefer and NY_Caveman like this.
  18. mmw64

mmw64 Valuable Member Partner Member 2019

following

Raege likes this.
  19. Raege

IMG_3450.JPG IMG_3452.JPG Blondie and Showboat have been staying closer and closer together lately. No nipping or mean behavior just seem to enjoy swing against the currents together

Fudsey, Salty Lemon and NY_Caveman like this.
  20. larryl

larryl Valuable Member

Nice build, glad the fish are getting along.

Raege likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted