OP
OP
0utworld

0utworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agreed. I could turn that into a dinner plate with only weekly water changes and cup feeding. It’s a baby on a frag on the bottom...use that to feeding advantage to add mass easily here.

occasionally, turn off your circulation. Take your days reef feed and blend it in and shoot most of it creatively into a little hole you put in a large pill bottle or some cap cup resting over the plug on the bottom make a weight so it won’t fall. It sits there covering feed on the coral till you release it for the rest of the tank, no waste no extra feed- focused feed exercise/ waster change sustained eight weeks is the certain fix. A small plastic cup with a hole in the bottom, inverted over the frag is perfect.
Thanks Brandon.

I tried feeding it some Reef frenzy yesterday, left it on the chalice for 1-2 hours but nothing happened. What I worry is that the uneaten food will rot and cause more damage to the chalice.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It never hurts to test your parameters, but I wouldn't make any changes for this one coral. IME, when a coral arrives in cloudy, stinky water in the bag, it's chance of recovery is slim unless it's a very hardy coral. I would contact the seller and let him know that something happened during shipment. I don't think this is your fault at all. Good luck.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity is between 7.7-8 dkh.
Calcium 420
Mag 1400+

I find it unlikely that one of these parameters is what’s effecting only one coral in your tank. The temperature did drop in the tank my chalice was originally in but again I dismissed that as the reason for it almost dying.
It could very well be just one parameter affecting his newly received coral that was already adjusted to another tanks parameters.

Testing all 3 macros and ensuring they are in acceptable range can only help here and not hurt. Slowly adjusting mag up from the 1200s can certainly help his chalice.

This happens all the time with newly recieved specimens. Some may never recover due to something like a source tank running high alk, and high nutrients, then placed into a tank with vastly different parameters.

Always a good rule of thumb to ask about parameters of the source tank so you can judge how to minimize the effect of acclaimation or even pass on the buy all together. Ive done it :)

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats your alk , what salt do you use , going much over 9 with these and you could alk burn it especially with that low of mag , I would be curious as to the dkh your running . I grow my chalices in the sand and with a spitting wrasse , they dont care I just have a lot of basting off to do lol .

OP
OP
0utworld

0utworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats your alk , what salt do you use , going much over 9 with these and you could alk burn it especially with that low of mag , I would be curious as to the dkh your running . I grow my chalices in the sand and with a spitting wrasse , they dont care I just have a lot of basting off to do lol .
Before I did my water change today, my alk was constantly at 8.5. Now it's around 9.2. I use reef crystals. Typically I mix the water one week prior to get the alk down to my liking, but this time it's freshly made which explains the alk rise today.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah and it was higher when you put em in there i suspect , I stopped using that and go for something that mixes up at like 8 ish dkh. I am really sorry your going through it with your RC , fingers crossed and just let em be for a few I have seen them recover from insane damage, just like others mentioned , I never give up on corals .

OP
OP
0utworld

0utworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could very well be just one parameter affecting his newly received coral that was already adjusted to another tanks parameters.

Testing all 3 macros and ensuring they are in acceptable range can only help here and not hurt. Slowly adjusting mag up from the 1200s can certainly help his chalice.

This happens all the time with newly recieved specimens. Some may never recover due to something like a source tank running high alk, and high nutrients, then placed into a tank with vastly different parameters.

Always a good rule of thumb to ask about parameters of the source tank so you can judge how to minimize the effect of acclaimation or even pass on the buy all together. Ive done it :)

Thanks for all your help. I'm slowly increasing my Mg daily to hopefully jumpstart my chalice. I even drip acclimated just in case of a parameter shock, but I guess I still couldn't avoid it lol. I also contacted the LFS and they said they'll look into it.

OP
OP
0utworld

0utworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
old post I know, did it ever recover?
It started looking good at first but in the end only retained around 20% (Might of been due to aggression). Got killed by another chalice eventually. Vendor gave me an extra frag as replacement and is looking very good.

56cbr600rr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It started looking good at first but in the end only retained around 20% (Might of been due to aggression). Got killed by another chalice eventually. Vendor gave me an extra frag as replacement and is looking very good.

Thx for the update, was curious. Glad to hear they hooked you up as well.

Don Barna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I recently had a Rainbow Crush Chalice shipped to me and placed at a shaded area in my 20g tank, following the appropriate acclimation procedures. When it arrived, I noticed a bit of skeletal exposure that wasn't on the catalog image. But I just thought it was typical shipping stress. However in the following two days, the chalice has been rapidly losing tissue at different spots near the center. After doing some research, I've noticed that if water parameters are off, tissue recession typically occurs from the edges. So right now I'm stressed and completely out of ideas. This morning during a scheduled 20% water change, I dipped it in 1.5x concentration CoralRx, blew off some dangling dead tissue, and moved it to an even more shaded area. Does anybody know what's going on?:(

When the chalice arrived, the water it was in smelled like death. Could this mean that the chalice wasn't doing so well before it arrived?

Day 1
WeChat Image_20200221174708.jpg
WeChat Image_20200223122333.jpg

Day 2
WeChat Image_20200223122338.jpg

Day 3 (before and after dip)
WeChat Image_20200223122342.jpg
WeChat Image_20200223122347.jpg

Water parameters before water change:
Nitrate: 2
Phosphates:0.046
Alk: 8.5
Haven't measured Ca and Mg in a while, but I dose Tropic Marin All-for-reef based on my Alk.

My raja rampage has almost doubled its size since I got it 2 months ago, so I really don't think its the water.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you all in advance.

Don Barna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I recently had a Rainbow Crush Chalice shipped to me and placed at a shaded area in my 20g tank, following the appropriate acclimation procedures. When it arrived, I noticed a bit of skeletal exposure that wasn't on the catalog image. But I just thought it was typical shipping stress. However in the following two days, the chalice has been rapidly losing tissue at different spots near the center. After doing some research, I've noticed that if water parameters are off, tissue recession typically occurs from the edges. So right now I'm stressed and completely out of ideas. This morning during a scheduled 20% water change, I dipped it in 1.5x concentration CoralRx, blew off some dangling dead tissue, and moved it to an even more shaded area. Does anybody know what's going on?:(

When the chalice arrived, the water it was in smelled like death. Could this mean that the chalice wasn't doing so well before it arrived?

Day 1
WeChat Image_20200221174708.jpg
WeChat Image_20200223122333.jpg

Day 2
WeChat Image_20200223122338.jpg

Day 3 (before and after dip)
WeChat Image_20200223122342.jpg
WeChat Image_20200223122347.jpg

Water parameters before water change:
Nitrate: 2
Phosphates:0.046
Alk: 8.5
Haven't measured Ca and Mg in a while, but I dose Tropic Marin All-for-reef based on my Alk.

My raja rampage has almost doubled its size since I got it 2 months ago, so I really don't think its the water.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you all in advance.
What was the outcome of this? Thank you

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back