View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I just checked my parameters and my alk and calcium are both very low:
Alk ~5 dKH
Calc ~350
I measured both with Hanna Checker. I ordered some all-for-reef to get into dosing but can I also just add a bit more the first several days to get around 8 dKH en 450 calc? After I get to that level I’ll reduce the dosing to keep it at those levels. Or, should I raise them first with some bicarb and calcium chloride before starting?

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I just checked my parameters and my alk and calcium are both very low:
Alk ~5 dKH
Calc ~350
I measured both with Hanna Checker. I ordered some all-for-reef to get into dosing but can I also just add a bit more the first several days to get around 8 dKH en 450 calc? After I get to that level I’ll reduce the dosing to keep it at those levels. Or, should I raise them first with some bicarb and calcium chloride before starting?
Got any details on your system?

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. AFR is for maintenance, not rebalancing parms to desired levels. Use your favorite alk/ca/mag supplements to get them to preferred, then try AFR to maintain. For the size of your tank, you might consider the powdered form and mix your own to lower costs.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 CaCl and baking soda. I would raise the alk slowly over a few days. The Ca could probably raise 50 ppm at a time.

But, I would check both of those values with a liquid test kit before doing anything. I don't personally like the idea of a Hanna checker for alk, as alkalinity should be a titration by definition. And lots of people have trouble with the Hanna Ca checker, specifically. It's also probably worth double checking your salinity to make sure it isn't low.

OP
OP
chemicals

chemicals

Organic Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! I’ll raise them both with bicrab and calc first! I also did titration with red sea kit, those gave around the same results!

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going away from All for reef on my 340 gallon system. My corals looked so much better dosing baked baking soda, calcium chloride, Magnesium Chloride mixed with magnesium sulfate each separately and then a weekly dose of red sea trace elements. AFR just doesn't seem to maintain my coral colors as well as the red sea trace elements.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back