Random Flow Generators & Random Flow in Your Reef Tank

Do you use a random flow generator device in your reef aquarium?

• YES

Votes: 228 56.0%
  • NO

Votes: 161 39.6%
  • Kinda (please explain)

Votes: 18 4.4%

• Total voters

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely interested in trying these out,but wondering if you have sold any of these to reefers with aqueon tanks/return piping .(210 gal system / two return that split to 4 outlets in display and will they do ok - I was considering sea swirl if this was no go - Thanks

If it uses authentic Loc-Line on the returns or has a standard bulkhead that is able to be removed,then yes.

They also sell a RFG that connects straight to PVC as well. For a tank that size I would probably go with maybe 2x ¾ and 2x 1".

The Aqueon line of aquariums stopped using genuine Loc-Line in their aquariums years ago. Now they use a modular hose called "Snap-Loc", which is similar but not exactly the same in terms of connector shape and size.

The good news is, it's easy enough to replace with genuine 3/4in loc-line. where the stock hoses thread in, is standard 3/4in pipe thread. Genuine Loc-Line line parts will thread right in.

We also make a module hose adapter that converts 27mm Snap-Loc hose to 3/4in Loc-Line, just in case replacing the hose is not feasible.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine with the VCA RFG's

Attachments

• 16596519856732126031846239453565.jpg
    16596519856732126031846239453565.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 63

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed them on my returns in my new build. I haven't used them in the past, but I really like how they work in the new tank. The included return nozzles were simple straight jets. They did a great job of moving water from one end to the other, they were also like standing downstream of a jet engine. The new RFGs break up that stream into a milder and wider spread flow.

ArtisticReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think these are a great idea and many people swear by them. I’ve purchased other VCA products and they are great. Personally, I’ve found I prefer to get my random flow from my powerhead modes. I have my 3 tanks with ripping flow and never a spot of anything on the rocks. Then I like steady flow from my return pump. Just a personal preference. If I couldn’t use my favorite flow generators then I wouldn’t hesitate to use VCA random flow generators.

navada718

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started using vca random flow nozzlez, on my IM 50 gal aio, in May. I Noticed instantly how much more flow it added to my tank, in conjunction with my Red sea wave 25 gyre pump. I've been toying with the idea of placing some artificial coral decorations, to test & see if the nozzles, alone creates enough flow throughout the tank, that I can stop using the gyre pump. I only run it at 10% & my return pump is rated for 530-1450 gph (sicce sdc 6). If anyone has done this, let me know the results or leave a link to a thread, that has.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220704-075522_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220704-075522_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 52

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 4 1” vca random flow generators on my 400 2 as closed loop 2 on the returns.
72385597-11B1-43E8-AB8E-FEC643BC23B8.jpeg
Your tank looks a lot like mine.. did a double take. Anyway what are the vca flow generator that everyone is talking about and how do you use it?

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the best RFG for a reefer 350?
For that tank you 'll want to take a look at our Red Sea Reefer Ultimate Return Line Upgrade Kit with the dual 1/2in RFGs
1659719238885.jpeg

That particular flow kit is widely available and you'll find at favorite Online Retailer and possibly at your local fish store.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks a lot like mine.. did a double take. Anyway what are the vca flow generator that everyone is talking about and how do you use it?
In a nut shell, the Random Flow Generator® Nozzle (RFG) is the only random flow device with now moving parts.

It has a unique patented internal design that uses fluid dynamics to randomly vary the intensity and direction of the flow as it exits the nozzle.

You can think of it as a 5-channel nozzle, where only one channel is active at a time

Patented-Random-Flow-Generator-RFG-Nozzle.jpg

You can add an RFG to your return line or even your closed loops. At the right flow rates and placement, they can, in some cases, even allow you to successfully flow a tank without additional powerheads. Of course that's not true in all cases and in those instances, the RFG can be used to simply add some variation to the laminar flow that most powered create.

You can see some video with the RFG in action on our Youtube channel

OU812Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping to our FLOW theme for the week let's talk about random flow and more specifically random flow generators! Random Flow Generators have been used in the hobby for quite some time and many people use them as part of their standard equipment, but not everyone. Let's talk about it!

Do you use a random flow generator device in your reef aquarium?

Do you care about having random flow in your reef aquarium?

20190224_145324.jpg
I use 3 Nero 3s set 1 parent and 2 on child at 55% and 50%

AceShadow_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did on my previous system and loved them. Want to use them on my current system but they don't sell 2 inch, 2 1/4, and 2 1/2 ones which are the sizes I require. I wish they or someone else would though.

There are several open-source options that can be scaled up to meet your needs for size, and you can use these in the meantime while VCA develops larger sizes! If you know anyone with a 3D printer, I would be happy to send you the files I used to print mine, scaled up to fit your outlets for free... or, if you prefer, I could have them printed for you and shipped out. Either way, PM me :)

Last edited:

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a nut shell, the Random Flow Generator® Nozzle (RFG) is the only random flow device with now moving parts.

It has a unique patented internal design that uses fluid dynamics to randomly vary the intensity and direction of the flow as it exits the nozzle.

You can think of it as a 5-channel nozzle, where only one channel is active at a time

Patented-Random-Flow-Generator-RFG-Nozzle.jpg

You can add an RFG to your return line or even your closed loops. At the right flow rates and placement, they can, in some cases, even allow you to successfully flow a tank without additional powerheads. Of course that's not true in all cases and in those instances, the RFG can be used to simply add some variation to the laminar flow that most powered create.

You can see some video with the RFG in action on our Youtube channel
Thank you I went to your site yesterday and I am definitely getting it for the return. Now I have another dumb question. What is a closed loop system? I run a canister so I'm guessing that isn't one.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I went to your site yesterday and I am definitely getting it for the return. Now I have another dumb question. What is a closed loop system? I run a canister so I'm guessing that isn't one.
A canister filter is essentially a closed loop - basically it just means that the water being drawn for the aquarium is in a closed system as opposed to an open system like a sump, where the Aquarium water drains to the sump and then has to be pumped back.

In your case , the biggest challenge to adding a Random Flow Generator is finding a way to attach it. We don't have very many adapters that work directly with canister filters - at least not yet. With that said, if you can convert the outlet of your filer to either standard PVC pipe or to Loc-Line, then it is quite easy to add.

Last edited:

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Vivid Creative Aquatics I ordered a pair of 3/4in RFG Nozzle With Red Sea Reefer Slip-Fit-Drop Adapter for my RedSea Reefer S 850.

Did I order the right thing?
This will work,. but may not give you much in the way of adjustable, sicne it's just the slip-Fit drop adatper and the RFG. You may want to add a few segments of 3/4in Loc-Line between the adapter and the RFG to give you some adjustability.

Another option for the larger G2 Red Sea Reefers is to your our CADE flow kits. Those kits come with a 25mmm Pipe adapter (what you need fro the Reefer Series) and a single RFG. The kits are available in two sizes - 3/4in RFG and 1in RFG.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back