Random Flow Generators & Random Flow in Your Reef Tank

Do you use a random flow generator device in your reef aquarium?

• YES

Votes: 228 56.0%
  • NO

Votes: 161 39.6%
  • Kinda (please explain)

Votes: 18 4.4%

• Total voters

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did on my previous system and loved them. Want to use them on my current system but they don't sell 2 inch, 2 1/4, and 2 1/2 ones which are the sizes I require. I wish they or someone else would though.
We do have a Prototype of a 4in Random Flow Generator that we made for a local public aquarium - its a monster nozzle

20220806_095629.jpg

This one was tuned for a 150GPM, and the results where stunning in a 16K body of water. I wish I could show the video, but they asked that i didn't share it publicly.

Our larger production models (1.25, 1.5 and 2in) can handle and convert a ton of flow. You can see a video we made a few years back using an Abyzz A400 where we tested each of the larger sizes

Depending on the amount of flow you can supply the outlets, it may be advantageous to reduce them down right at the outlet. For the best results you want to meet or exceed the suggested Optimal Flow rating for each RFG.

I would be interested to see your needed application, if you have sometime - give me (Antonio) a call and lets discuss it.

1-623-233-6908

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will work,. but may not give you much in the way of adjustable, sicne it's just the slip-Fit drop adatper and the RFG. You may want to add a few segments of 3/4in Loc-Line between the adapter and the RFG to give you some adjustability.

Another option for the larger G2 Red Sea Reefers is to your our CADE flow kits. Those kits come with a 25mmm Pipe adapter (what you need fro the Reefer Series) and a single RFG. The kits are available in two sizes - 3/4in RFG and 1in RFG.

Thanks!

So, @Vivid Creative Aquatics, my set of 3/4in RFG Nozzle With Red Sea Reefer Slip-Fit-Drop Adapter arrived and I went to install them. They fit “tight-ish” on the return pipes coming out my overflow…but not tight enough to stay on with the pumps running.

Suggestions?

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

So, @Vivid Creative Aquatics, my set of 3/4in RFG Nozzle With Red Sea Reefer Slip-Fit-Drop Adapter arrived and I went to install them. They fit “tight-ish” on the return pipes coming out my overflow…but not tight enough to stay on with the pumps running.

Suggestions?
Yeah - those slip-fit drops are not really design for high-flow applications. Those 25mm to 3/4in usually get used in freshwater applications or on smaller tank with smaller return pumps. My guess is it; just too much flow given the double 90deg bend those slip-fits drops have to make.

You can try a bit a templon tape to see if you can get them fit a little tighter. I think the best bet would be to have you exchange those for the proper flow kits for that tank.

Shoot us a DM and we'll well help you get this taken care of tomorrow.

deplinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Sea Swirls at opposite ends of the tank along with 2 MP-40s and a RedSea ReefWave gyre.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say kinda because I have some pulsed flow that mixes with steady flow that mixes with reversing flow. The fish also move and deflect the currents. I would like to install two small pumps on the center back for some diagonal alternating cross flow into the main structures and create more constant turbulence.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to be using one! I purchased your RFG to alter my fluval evo 13.5 but I can't get the loc-line to unattach!
You may need to unscrew the stock setup, and then use a set of plyers (or better yet two sets) and pull them apart. The module hose parts that come with that tank are not usually as tough as genuine Loc-Line to work with but they can still be pretty tight.

Elise_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may need to unscrew the stock setup, and then use a set of plyers (or better yet two sets) and pull them apart. The module hose parts that come with that tank are not usually as tough as genuine Loc-Line to work with but they can still be pretty tight.
I will try again, I embarrassingly have already pulled it apart from the tank and used a 2nd person and still couldn't get it to come undone, all the smaller locline came off but not the 1/2 inch from the Y piece.. haha

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try again, I embarrassingly have already pulled it apart from the tank and used a 2nd person and still couldn't get it to come undone, all the smaller locline came off but not the 1/2 inch from the Y piece.. haha
If all else fails and it just wont comes apart,. you can replace it with ah genuine Loc-Line NPT fitting. This is the part you would need.

1662650244169.png

This is a pretty common part and you could probably even find it at your local fish store.

Elise_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Elise_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all else fails and it just wont comes apart,. you can replace it with ah genuine Loc-Line NPT fitting. This is the part you would need.

1662650244169.png

This is a pretty common part and you could probably even find it at your local fish store.
Just got confirmation that my order shipped! I can't wait to see the difference the RFG makes to my little tank!

Mikeb86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I was wondering which rfg will fit my corallife biocube 32.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I was wondering which rfg will fit my corallife biocube 32.
As of right now, the best option is the 1/2in Random Flow Generator with the 20mm CoralLife Biocube adapter. The other options is the Ultimate Nano Tank return Line Upgrade kit with the dual 1/4in RFGs. You'll need to pair that with the adapter as well.

You'll find both of those options here:

However - as of next week, the better option might be the new 1/2in RFG Flex Series nozzles. It wont require an adapter, as it will fit the stock BioCube outlet.

The new Flex Series will begin shipping next week.

Mikeb86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of right now, the best option is the 1/2in Random Flow Generator with the 20mm CoralLife Biocube adapter. The other options is the Ultimate Nano Tank return Line Upgrade kit with the dual 1/4in RFGs. You'll need to pair that with the adapter as well.

You'll find both of those options here:

However - as of next week, the better option might be the new 1/2in RFG Flex Series nozzles. It wont require an adapter, as it will fit the stock BioCube outlet.

The new Flex Series will begin shipping next week.
Thank you, my stock pump runs at about 265 gph . is that optimal or do you recommend upgrading the pump as well to a 300 or 400+ gph?

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, my stock pump runs at about 265 gph . is that optimal or do you recommend upgrading the pump as well to a 300 or 400+ gph?
at 250 to 265, it would work, but for best result, i would definitely upgrade it.

The sweet spot for the 1/2in RfG is right around 400- 450 GPH. But in an aquarium of that size, even a single 1/2in RFG at 300 GPH would do a pretty good job of moving some water.

Elise_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at 250 to 265, it would work, but for best result, i would definitely upgrade it.

The sweet spot for the 1/2in RfG is right around 400- 450 GPH. But in an aquarium of that size, even a single 1/2in RFG at 300 GPH would do a pretty good job of moving some water.
Do you have a suggestion on GPH for the Fluval evo with the 1/2in RFG?
I have it currently running with a 210GPH pump, but think it might need some more, but its difficult in a small tank I feel to get it right.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a suggestion on GPH for the Fluval evo with the 1/2in RFG?
I have it currently running with a 210GPH pump, but think it might need some more, but its difficult in a small tank I feel to get it right.
If it's an EVO Spec V (5-gallon tank) you might better off with the 1/4in RFG. If however you want to stick with the 1/2in then you would definitely need to bring that up to at least 300 GPH.

With the 1/4in you can get good flow with 100GPH to 200 GPH (or more)

We make a kit specifically for the FLuval Spec Evo/V

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see the point in them when my Neros do most of the flow work in random mode.

Neros are certainly a good flow pump and a good option for creating flow. But there are lots of ways to flow a tank – one of those ways is a properly deployed Random Flow Generator.

From a simplicity standpoint, an RFG is a no brainer. It’s simple – you supply it flow and it creates a randomized flow pattern. It creates no addition heat, no noise and does not require an extra outlet. On a nano tank, those can all be very beneficial.

From a cost standpoint, it can also be beneficial as well.
Reefing by no means is an inexpensive hobby, but in those cases where you don’t want to break the bank, but still want to create some good flow, an RFG nozzle can be a good choice.

Then there is the added movement – adding an RFG does not preclude adding a flow pump and vice versa. Any extra movement in the water is a good thing.

Finally, and this particularly applies to nano tanks - sometimes space is at a premium. Even the smallest Nero pump takes up space, whereas a Random Flow Generator really doesn't take up anymore space than the stock inlet.

Now with all that said, I'm obviously biased. We do however use our own products, and put out money where our mouth is, so to speak. In fact we flow our 134 gallon mixed reef tank without a single power head - just Random Flow Generators.

20220917_121817.jpg

We also use it in our FLuval Spec V Macro Algae/softie display and our Waterbox Cube 10 cube Nem /Clown fish display. They work great as the only source of flow in those tanks.

I don’t think we have a a single power head in our entire building - LOL

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 80 38.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back