RAP frag prices

Zazzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never been to a frag show before.

How much should one bring to get a decent amount of frags?

What do prices for decent looking acros usually run?

Will 800$ get you a decent amount of corals?

Are frags priced better then if you were to buy them any other time?!

All adivice is welcomed :)

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really a mixed bag and you can find good deals if you are looking. If you are looking for the best colored sticks at the show, that $800 won't last you long at all.

A few tips:
Look at all the frags you are interested and ask for a package deal. Don't ask for prices one by one. This portrays you are a serious buyer and want to buy.

Try to buy from exhibitors who have multiples of the corals you want. If a coral is HOT, you want to be one of the earlier purchasers as the price may increase as the stock dwindles.

If there are multiple dealers with the same specimen, try to work a deal for the largest piece that is not of premium coloration. This goes for people selling multiple of the same coral. It's always easier to sell the best looking specimens at a premium price.

Look for out of the area exhibitors who traveled with corals and are less likely to want to travel back with them. A company like @YourReef comes all the way from California and they would prefer to sell out. Although they have smokin' hot prices from beginning to end.

Stick it out to the end and buy large quantities of left over frags. Risky but can be fruitful! At the California RAP, a friend of mine bought nearly 100 frags from WWC for an insane low price at the end of the show.

And don't be affraid to name drop with those Cali exhibitors. You can always say I referred you!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zazzy

Zazzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really a mixed bag and you can find good deals if you are looking. If you are looking for the best colored sticks at the show, that $800 won't last you long at all.

A few tips:
Look at all the frags you are interested and ask for a package deal. Don't ask for prices one by one. This portrays you are a serious buyer and want to buy.

Try to buy from exhibitors who have multiples of the corals you want. If a coral is HOT, you want to be one of the earlier purchasers as the price may increase as the stock dwindles.

If there are multiple dealers with the same specimen, try to work a deal for the largest piece that is not of premium coloration. This goes for people selling multiple of the same coral. It's always easier to sell the best looking specimens at a premium price.

Look for out of the area exhibitors who traveled with corals and are less likely to want to travel back with them. A company like @YourReef comes all the way from California and they would prefer to sell out. Although they have smokin' hot prices from beginning to end.

Stick it out to the end and buy large quantities of left over frags. Risky but can be fruitful! At the California RAP, a friend of mine bought nearly 100 frags from WWC for an insane low price at the end of the show.

And don't be affraid to name drop with those Cali exhibitors. You can always say I referred you!
Thanks for that info definitely gonna help

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Never been to a frag show before.

How much should one bring to get a decent amount of frags?

What do prices for decent looking acros usually run?

Will 800$ get you a decent amount of corals?

Are frags priced better then if you were to buy them any other time?!

All adivice is welcomed :)
Some good deals are around and you can haggle sometimes. Mostly you'll find decent prices but massive selection. Make sure you dip all when you get home and try to get corals that have been growing under lighting similar to what you have as I've found those end up with best results for me. Last year I bought from Hobe Sound Frags, WWC, Gator corals and all corals did well in my DT with good prices.

OP
OP
Zazzy

Zazzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good deals are around and you can haggle sometimes. Mostly you'll find decent prices but massive selection. Make sure you dip all when you get home and try to get corals that have been growing under lighting similar to what you have as I've found those end up with best results for me. Last year I bought from Hobe Sound Frags, WWC, Gator corals and all corals did well in my DT with good prices.
So do u think 800$ could get you around 15 frags that are high quality

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do u think 800$ could get you around 15 frags that are high quality

It won’t get you the highest end frags but I think you could get around 15 nice frags for $800. It just depends on what you get.

If you are set on those $200-$300 high end frags you’ll get just a handful. Those frags are discounted but only to a certain extent.

OP
OP
Zazzy

Zazzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won’t get you the highest end frags but I think you could get around 15 nice frags for $800. It just depends on what you get.

If you are set on those $200-$300 high end frags you’ll get just a handful. Those frags are discounted but only to a certain extent.
Yeah TBH I have no clue what to expect I just snagged 10 high end sps frags from cornbred for 455$ so I really dont know going in with an open head. I just wanna know what most people usually bring to a show like this

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah TBH I have no clue what to expect I just snagged 10 high end sps frags from cornbred for 455$ so I really dont know going in with an open head. I just wanna know what most people usually bring to a show like this

You can deals just like that as well. Those are package deals that vendors will do. I think $800 is more than enough.

Just make a budget and don’t exceed that budget. With $800 you’ll be more than satisfied with what you can get

Newtybar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A few tips:

Thanks Greg. Very helpful, just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you want premium coloration? If it is not of premium color are there things you could do to improve coloration once you buy?

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Greg. Very helpful, just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you want premium coloration? If it is not of premium color are there things you could do to improve coloration once you buy?
For me, when it comes to pieces with lineage, coloration is not important as eventually I will get it to color up. A good stable system will always color them up. I don't need the instant gratification. for the same price I can get a larger piece if the coral coloration isn't near the top if the scale.

Newtybar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, when it comes to pieces with lineage, coloration is not important as eventually I will get it to color up. A good stable system will always color them up. I don't need the instant gratification. for the same price I can get a larger piece if the coral coloration isn't near the top if the scale.

great advice, thank you.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back