Rare frogspawn y so expensive?

Nasir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s all a joke, and a gimmick. People paying mortgages and car payment for a piece of coral the size of a baby finger nail. I have lived and visited a few countries myself and only in the US do you have these high ridiculous prices.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 2 Green/Purple that I paid less then $50 for both together. I don't pay high prices for anything no matter how bad I want it, I'll wait until it drops in price to what I'm willing to pay. I've never been a got to have it now type person. Each to their own way though.

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve just seen the WWC green tipped going for 500$ a pop to. Had a mate that wanted to sell it to me for 10$ a head told him to keep it as didn’t wanted to take advantage. Even though we are in the uk am sure they as rare world wide I think
Wwc has some outrageous prices to me. Crazy crazy

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got a link? That sounds about right I do need an holiday in the land of oz and bring a lot of souvenirs

This was the video I was talking about. It’s Even Luo’s Reef. Mostly sps dominant, but they do mention the advantages of living right on the GBR. Just go collect your own! I’m not sure about what kinds of permits you have to have there. But would be cool to be able to do that.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of mine.
DSC_7876.JPG

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wwc has some outrageous prices to me. Crazy crazy

According to them they’ve been growing it for 4 years to justify the price, could of saved a fortune and just came to the uk and got it for a few quid . I wouldn’t be surprised that most companies are doing what someone used to to in an old forum to set up high prices for macro algae.

He used to get hitchhiker algaes from his local shop den go on the forums and advertise the freshly new arrival and expensive from the states. And then resell it for 20$ a pop for something it was free in the first place and locally sourced.

The lack of knowledge of the new generation of reefers could be one of the reasons for the rise as I can’t see any of the old reefers paying silly money for something it was readily available and no one wanted in the first place.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was given this for free from a friend who shut his tank down. I dont know what it will grow into colour wise as wasnt doing well in his tank but we'll have to wait a and see.
Screenshot_20190825-104900_Gallery.jpg

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope the price goes up on those, I have around 50 heads

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good retirement plan am best starting to stock up to

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen much of frogspawns in the last year or so, around my area. Any frogspawns that appear, seem to be traded in but for the most part, they are getting rarer compared to 8 years ago when they came in literally every shipment once a week at my LFS. If they are as popular as they were 8 years ago, the demand is probably what is skyrocketing the prices.

doodledreads

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, I see this trend only online. My LFSs have very reasonable prices on Euphyllia overall (Some varieties still are expensive e.g. gold torches ). Saw a purple octospawn head for 50$ at one store and a huge hammer for 120$ at another just last week.

I don't know why the online prices for these tend to be so high. I have a suspicion that these auctions, live sales, and online sales in general create a sense of false urgency and fear of losing out on supposedly rare stuff.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just seen the WWC green tipped going for 500$ a pop to. Had a mate that wanted to sell it to me for 10$ a head told him to keep it as didn’t wanted to take advantage. Even though we are in the uk am sure they as rare world wide I think
Not necessarily. Indo gold torches are selling for $15-$20 a head in China right now. I have friends there and they told me they haven't really seen the impact from the Indo ban so far.

BGrand

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This was the video I was talking about. It’s Even Luo’s Reef. Mostly sps dominant, but they do mention the advantages of living right on the GBR. Just go collect your own! I’m not sure about what kinds of permits you have to have there. But would be cool to be able to do that.

Absolutely beautiful tank. The coral are amazing! #lifegoals

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back