OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks hey buddy so my tang is in copper for about 25 days now at 2.0 - 2.2 do think i can do normal water changes without keeping the copper at 2.0+ and slowly reduce ( ammonia catching up to me ) or should i still keep the copper level high
You will want to add copper to the newly mixed water.

You need a full 30 days at the therapuetic level.

Dongta408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks . Stupid me... I have 8.2 gal water QT tank, .60ml/gal to get 1ppm level . I dose 6ml/gal(46ml total) but I stop as 40 ml and test Cu level(salifert test kit) was reading as 1.5ppm( don’t know why). 1/2 hour later I realize I did maths wrong(flame angels is fine, eat normal).... quickly I did WC (5gal), test Cu again it reading as .8ppm, 15” later I dose 2 more ml and reading is 1.1ppm flame angels doing fine( 12 hour pass)
My question is test kit not accurate or copper powder is not accurate? What should I do now? Set up all over again? Get new test kit? Or new copper powder? Thanks every much.
Please don’t mind my English, I am new here still learning

Dongta408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks . Stupid me... I have 8.2 gal water QT tank, .60ml/gal to get 1ppm level . I dose 6ml/gal(46ml total) but I stop as 40 ml and test Cu level(salifert test kit) was reading as 1.5ppm( don’t know why). 1/2 hour later I realize I did maths wrong(flame angels is fine, eat normal).... quickly I did WC (5gal), test Cu again it reading as .8ppm, 15” later I dose 2 more ml and reading is 1.1ppm flame angels doing fine( 12 hour pass)
My question is test kit not accurate or copper powder is not accurate? What should I do now? Set up all over again? Get new test kit? Or new copper powder? Thanks every much.
Please don’t mind my English, I am new here still learning

GrumpyDaddy68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks

I believe I read within the thread that for top off water (RODI) we don't need to add copper... only to the water that is use for water changes. This was because copper does not evaporate.
Could anybody confirm.
Thanks,

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks

I believe I read within the thread that for top off water (RODI) we don't need to add copper... only to the water that is use for water changes. This was because copper does not evaporate.
Could anybody confirm.
Thanks,
Correct, copper does not evaporate. It does not need to be added to RODI that's being added to compensate for evaporation.

Monitoring Cu level is still necessary because absorption is a possibility.

Brien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Kole tang in QT being treated with copper. I plan to move him to a sterile tank after 2-weeks. How long does he need to stay in the sterile tank before he is cleared to go into my DT.

Brian Saxby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using @HotRocks method of copper power QT, if my starting salinity is 1.020, Do I keep salinity @1.020 during the whole 30 days of copper power and then bring salinity up or bring it up with top offs or even wait to ramp up copper power until salinity reaches 1.025?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using @HotRocks method of copper power QT, if my starting salinity is 1.020, Do I keep salinity @1.020 during the whole 30 days of copper power and then bring salinity up or bring it up with top offs or even wait to ramp up copper power until salinity reaches 1.025?
I keep my salinity during copper around 1.019-1.020. I raise it slowly after fish have been transferred out of copper by topping off with saltwater instead of fresh.

Brian Saxby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my salinity during copper around 1.019-1.020. I raise it slowly after fish have been transferred out of copper by topping off with saltwater instead of fresh.

Thank you for the reply @HotRocks . Any word of caution using your method on dispar anthias and melanuras wrasse?

Abundant Life Aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the 14 days of GC, Selcon, and garlic. Should I just go to Selcon and garlic mixed with my frozen food?

Thanks in advance.

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the 14 days of GC, Selcon, and garlic. Should I just go to Selcon and garlic mixed with my frozen food?

Thanks in advance.
The GC mixed with the food is to rid any potential internal parasites. You were mixing focus (sea chem) with that as well? That’s what binds the meds to the food. 14 days is long enough to kill most parasites however there could be stronger ones present. So I’d say as long as you don’t see any signs (white stringy poop) you should be good to go.

Abundant Life Aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The GC mixed with the food is to rid any potential internal parasites. You were mixing focus (sea chem) with that as well? That’s what binds the meds to the food. 14 days is long enough to kill most parasites however there could be stronger ones present. So I’d say as long as you don’t see any signs (white stringy poop) you should be good to go.

Yes, I am using *SeaChem Focus as well, are there any negative side-effects to continuing to use GC past 14 days other than just the cost.

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I am using *SeaChem Focus as well, are there any negative side-effects to continuing to use GC past 14 days other than just the cost.
I would do the 14 days and then feed regularly with observing for any symptoms. I doubt there would be any I’ll effects however the more a fish is exposed to a medication, the less likely it is to treat something in the future. So I’d stick to the 14 days and then observe. If something pops up then begin treatment again.

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will copper power absorb overtime in the sand and rocks? I'm having an issue right now where i'm spotting the smallest white spots (maybe two) on a tang after having done copper power above 2.0 for 33 days. i'm really annoyed and thinking potentially the rocks and sand i have in that quarantine might have lowered the copper?! i know its not rocommended to have rocks and sand.

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will copper power absorb overtime in the sand and rocks? I'm having an issue right now where i'm spotting the smallest white spots (maybe two) on a tang after having done copper power above 2.0 for 33 days. i'm really annoyed and thinking potentially the rocks and sand i have in that quarantine might have lowered the copper?! i know its not rocommended to have rocks and sand.
Were you testing for copper at all after reaching 2.0 ppm? I’m currently on day 12 and I test every other day. I’m noticing my copper level has dropped a bit and have added to maintain the 2.0 level. I have a foam filter with biomedia, a hang on the back filter with biomedia in it and pvc pipes in the tank. Nothing else. I check with a Hanna test kit.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you added copper to a tank with sand and rocks, and then did not test the copper every day, there is a very good chance the copper level fell below therapeutic levels.

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you added copper to a tank with sand and rocks, and then did not test the copper every day, there is a very good chance the copper level fell below therapeutic levels.
ahhhhh crap!!! i thought copper power doesn't do that!

Salty Irishman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New longfin fairy wrasse who's been in quarantine since the 3rd and yesterday noticed either ich or velvet show up out of nowhere on the body and fins. Dosed Copper Power to 1.3ppm on the Hanna yesterday and today he's nose to the surface looking like he's ready to check out. I have a HOB filter and airstone inside pumping hard. Been reading all I can just not sure where to go from here.

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New longfin fairy wrasse who's been in quarantine since the 3rd and yesterday noticed either ich or velvet show up out of nowhere on the body and fins. Dosed Copper Power to 1.3ppm on the Hanna yesterday and today he's nose to the surface looking like he's ready to check out. I have a HOB filter and airstone inside pumping hard. Been reading all I can just not sure where to go from here.
Copper has to be a gradual increase. So dosing it to therapeutic levels (copper power 2.0 ppm) in one shot would be harmful. I’d say try some sort of bath (ruby reef rally). Do you have surface agitation with a powerhead pointed at the water surface? Is the fish eating and has it been eating?

Back