Re cycle?

Saltwatertaylor

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 1, 2011
Messages
532
Reaction score
2
Location
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend (who is newer to the hobby) had an aquarium up for around 4 months, and then added a few "dead rocks" to it, and there is now red/brown algae everywhere. I believe it is cyano bacteria because there are bubbles under some of the rocks. Can the dead rock cause all of this? What is the best course of action for him to do? He has a GBTA
 
Yes. Another cycle was kicked off when the dead rock was added. The best thing to do is take them out and cycle them separately from the display.
 
Allright. If he can't remember the exact rock, how long will this cycle go on, and how can he speed it up?
It amazes me that one small rock can do this.
 
could be leaching Phosphates out also, I recommend checking your PO4 levels. Good luck hopefully it will not last long.
 
I am guessing it is. I scrubbed off the algae and did a water change. I will get my water tested tomorrow and let you guys know the results.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new