Re-drilling glass/

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aquarium that has the overflow hole and two return holes drilled into the back panel. I'm realizing now that i need bigger return flow holes so im wondering if I can drill over the same hole going from 0.75" to 1" or if it will just break my aquarium.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aquarium that has the overflow hole and two return holes drilled into the back panel. I'm realizing now that i need bigger return flow holes so im wondering if I can drill over the same hole going from 0.75" to 1" or if it will just break my aquarium.
I don't see why you couldn't. Just use a template to steady the bit

BillyKVT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cut a template out of plywood and use it as a guide. I'd also have someone help with a hose to cool the bit/glass as you're drilling. Just make sure to keep the bit as level w.r.t. to the glass as possible since the glass is already weakened by the existing hole.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes make sure to use a good solid mounted template and running water to cool

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cut a template out of plywood and use it as a guide. I'd also have someone help with a hose to cool the bit/glass as you're drilling. Just make sure to keep the bit as level w.r.t. to the glass as possible since the glass is already weakened by the existing hole.
This would be my suggestion!!!
Get a piece of plywood make a hole the desired size in it. Use clamps to secure it to the tank and then re-drill.
This would be a secure way to do it!!!

BillyKVT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention that you should also add some painters tape to the opposing side (inside) where the hole will be. Will help with getting a finer edge on the glass rather than a chipped off one.

eloser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above, use a template made of wood and clamp it down along with another “solid” piece of wood on the underside to prevent blowouts. Take your time, go slow and let the weight of the drill do the work…should be a walk in the park…good luck!

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo thank you everyone for your responses. I should have pre-faced that my tank is a nano only 14g-ish and so the glass is very thin. I'll give it a shot once i secure a backup just in case.

BillyKVT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo thank you everyone for your responses. I should have pre-faced that my tank is a nano only 14g-ish and so the glass is very thin. I'll give it a shot once i secure a backup just in case.
You’re welcome. As far as the glass being very thin just try to support the drill as best you can and don’t force it. Just let the drill do the work and take your time. Since it’s very thin you’ll definitely want to put another piece of plywood on the other side.. sandwich the glass in between the two pieces of plywood and you’ll be fine. Good luck man

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really need two 1" returns for a 14 gallon tank? Are going for 300+ x per hour water turn over?

If the tank came pre drilled, I'd be concerned that the glass may have been tempered after it was drilled at the factory.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really need two 1" returns for a 14 gallon tank? Are going for 300+ x per hour water turn over?

If the tank came pre drilled, I'd be concerned that the glass may have been tempered after it was drilled at the factory.
I dont think i need two 1" but the way i have it is my overflow in the middle of the back glass and two 1/2" returns on each side but it's coming off of one 1" return pump so i think the flow is pretty restricted at the T junction.

Alternatively I suppose i could run two return pumps so each return hole gets it's own dedicated pump and it'll act as a redundancy but i think it's overkill for my tiny tank

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think i need two 1" but the way i have it is my overflow in the middle of the back glass and two 1/2" returns on each side but it's coming off of one 1" return pump so i think the flow is pretty restricted at the T junction.

Alternatively I suppose i could run two return pumps so each return hole gets it's own dedicated pump and it'll act as a redundancy but i think it's overkill for my tiny tank
Why not just reduce the 1" down to a 1/2" at the Tee fitting? Then you don't have to drill the tank.

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have to agree with this. I've seen 200+ gallon tanks with 3/4" returns. I think you may be overthinking this a bit. I don't think your going to be experiencing any restriction personally on something that small, especially with two returns. There is a reason there aren't really any 1" return loc-line hose nor 1" flare nozzles with one inch fittings, etc. Less Vivid Creative Aquatics and their RFG's.

With that being said, I went with a single 1" return on my custom 45 gallon but, that was just to match the 1" in/out on my return pump. For reference, I am running a UV, 3 cylinder manifold and a chiller with a 1200gph pump and I still have to dial the pump back.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back