OP
OP
Lalaallieu

Lalaallieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i Didn’t quit the hobby . Nursing school has not been kind to me this week. I scrubbed and did peroxide on the rock and it basically melted it all off. Since this picture I have bought a new rock. Things were mad for a few days. I have also rearranged since this pic. I’ll do my water change tomorrow and clean it up good and post again. The big rock on the right side was the GHA rock.

9190F6BF-0BF3-45CE-B86F-14697043B177.jpeg

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for update. Looking forward to new GHA free pics of new scape.

Also, good luck in Nursing School...my niece had to stop with a year to go for a while...it was just too much when her dad got sick. Anyway...very difficult program and I wish you the best.

OP
OP
Lalaallieu

Lalaallieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the tank currently. I had to whack the rock with the gsp to get it to fit. Still may sell it if I can get the blue ricordia off. My orange ricordia looks huge. Still some GHA on the BbEB zoas, only half are out currently because the other half was shaded by the gsp rock before I whacked on it with a hammer. Hopefully they’ll come out.

EF11705C-71FA-46F6-BE43-E35296A99A3B.jpeg 32FCF347-F536-4867-97B7-017A4B50986C.jpeg 6808E36F-117C-4779-A2CB-9C6FFF19F52D.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really took command of that ecosystem, total respects. Corals= happy and what little algae remains cannot takeover and you can be unrushed figuring out how to access what's leftover.

What you did prevents waste in the hobby by give up start overs. You did the most eco friendly approach possible by taking back ground without wait. Ur thread is linked for others to see in the peroxide thread page one second link. It's phreebirds most fav thread too due to the number of work examples collected, he's big into proofing.

Hair algae is rarely due to an imbalance or nutrient issue, the public gets that wrong largely. Simply killing algae is the number one way to control it, your corals clearly appreciate not having their core parameters altered into a starvation mode.

Human resolve is what saves tanks, the tool can vary. Willing this tank into compliance is what fixed it. Many advised you to wait and hesitate longer but we collect examples of nonhesitation since they're so rare

What coming up: reef runs great weeks to come. Since all reefs on the planet grow algae, you can try and design ways to slow growth while happy corals expand. When some needs touchup that's a walk in the park. When all rock is coralline your work on gha will cease

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide use doesn't harm your filter bac we can see. Not enough dwell time nor % strength 3% is baby water lol

Even 35% still doesn't harm the bac, they're too numerous and too insulated by biofilm. 35% is horribly dangerous though, so 3% makes up most of our work.

I saw Phreebird once state in another post that the way we know peroxide doesn't harm filter bac is to google 'peroxide in the reef tank' and then scan the 1.6 million search returns for last ten yrs for recycled tanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lalaallieu

Lalaallieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is back and my own again! I am so proud of it. I have been playing around with my GHA rock and placement of my corals. Still trying to figure all that out again. Thank you to all of you for your kind words, really means a lot to me! Thank you all for your input. This hobby is awesome and I’m so glad I have a place like this to go versus Facebook. They’re terrible there.

A031CDF3-F16C-4804-B3FD-FD1C141CCCAB.jpeg

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw Phreebird once state in another post that the way we know peroxide doesn't harm filter bac is to google 'peroxide in the reef tank' and then scan the 1.6 million search returns for last ten yrs for recycled tanks

Uh, no. You did not see anything of the sort, and I don't know what you hope to gain by lying.

If you have some problem with me, and it appears that for some reason you do, then I suggest acting like an adult and taking up your issues with me privately, outside of the thread.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

Proud of your work here L you commanded your tank into compliance vs hoping or waiting.

is it true this tank is going well, and you are about to move all the goodies into a bigger tank

if so, you can skip cycle upgrade perfectly without a hitch, without buying bottle bac, if you'd simply clean the rocks using saltwater before you move them over (no detritus hitches into the new tank)

sand too, transfer no cloud and you can swap tanks three times a week harmlessly.

OP
OP
Lalaallieu

Lalaallieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

Proud of your work here L you commanded your tank into compliance vs hoping or waiting.

is it true this tank is going well, and you are about to move all the goodies into a bigger tank

if so, you can skip cycle upgrade perfectly without a hitch, without buying bottle bac, if you'd simply clean the rocks using saltwater before you move them over (no detritus hitches into the new tank)

sand too, transfer no cloud and you can swap tanks three times a week harmlessly.
Am very much thinking about it. Lost quite a few of my zoas for unknown reasons. Everything else is doing amazing. My moms swapping with me, so I’ll physically have a 29, not sure when I’ll switch over though.

Slywenis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best reefing advice I ever received was from a LFS owner who told me that even the worst cases of nuisance algae infestations will eventually burn themselves out. I did not want to believe him because I wanted a quicker fix, but it was absolutely true.

Removing and scrubbing rock is a complete waste of time. Unless you remove the top surface of the actual rock, the algae is still there and will grow back. You are also spreading tiny bits of the algae around to repopulate the rock. Peroxide is also doing as much harm as good, since it's disinfecting the rock and killing bacteria that consume nutrients.

At water change time, use a big tweezers or forceps to manually remove as many big clumps of the algae as you can. Try to remove as much algae mass as possible. In doing so, you are also removing the nutrients that the algae has consumed, and permanently exporting those nutrients. This is why algae scrubber devices work.

Practice your powers of patience, and continue good husbandry with your water parameters and water changes. Do everything you can to reduce the addition of nutrients to the tank. Eventually, as your tank matures, the microorganisms necessary to compete with the algae will reach levels that can outcompete the algae. This does take some time. A 4 month old tank is literally a baby.

Vibrant does work somehow. I wouldn't dose anything else, though. Definitely, anything that might affect the bacterial populations in a negative way (disinfectants, antibiotics, etc.) are a huge no-no.
Check out the vibrant scandal

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back