Real or BS?

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I got sent this video, and it looks like this guy is saying there are saltwater pea puffers???
In this video skip to 3:09

Real or BS?

I saw this too. If it’s real, it’s super cool. I’ve seen these pea puffers at the LFS, but they’re sold for FW. They’re saying in the video that they’ve been acclimated to sw and that they are totally reef and invert safe! That would be really cool, but why hasn’t anyone been talking about it if it’s legit?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got sent this video, and it looks like this guy is saying there are saltwater pea puffers???
In this video skip to 3:09

Real or BS?

Pea Puffers are not true saltwater, they’re fully freshwater fish.

The puffers in question look to have been Misidentified and are likely to be Green Spotted Puffers which are brackish and can be acclimated to fully Salt Water. And no they aren’t invert safe, all puffers need shells to munch on otherwise their teeth will outgrow their mouths and harm them as they constantly grow.

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pea Puffers are not true saltwater, they’re fully freshwater fish.

The puffers in question look to have been Misidentified and are likely to be Green Spotted Puffers which are brackish and can be acclimated to fully Salt Water. And no they aren’t invert safe, all puffers need shells to munch on otherwise their teeth will outgrow their mouths and harm them as they constantly grow.
Would just shells work? Or would they target live snails and crabs?

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know the owner of that stoors insta or anything else I could possibly contact him with. I want to get more information on those.

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent them an email. With questions and asking for some information. If anyone has some good questions they would like to get answerd just message me in this thread.

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like green spotted puffers, which are normally quite common in freshwater stores, and can acclimate to saltwater by just raising salinity 0.001 or 0.002 per day. The Indian dwarf Pea Puffers are definitely 100% freshwater, they don't even do well in brackish.
I don't have a tank to raise the salinity slowly. Even if I did I don't have any freshwater stores. Only saltwater

Boreas_SA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Else if you want a puffer type fish that is marine and stay quite small, Canthigaster tobies are quite cool, and have nice personalities too. Should be able to order through your lfs, they are always on supplier lists.

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Else if you want a puffer type fish that is marine and stay quite small, Canthigaster tobies are quite cool, and have nice personalities too. Should be able to order through your lfs, they are always on supplier lists.
What about reef safe? How often or even at all do they attack inverts and what ones?

Boreas_SA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No puffers will be 100% reef safe, I've had good luck with Canthigaster, kept my urchin spines trimmed though, and every now and then I saw a half moon bite mark on the bigger fish's fins, but otherwise haven't really done much damage to corals. Will definitely bite onto hard corals every now and then, but not to eat, just to keep its beak trimmed.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 73.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back