Rebel XT: Taking coral pictures

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use PS CS4 to crop and adjust stuff . all is fair game to me except color adjustments..
Actinic shots are tough, you gotta turn F stop WAY DOWN and also shutter speed, I use like F 4.0 and shutter speed 1/8 for the ones I took this morning
This one is F 3.2, iso 100, shutter speed 1/8 and the coral was one inch from the glass

Actually, actinic shots are not different from "regular" shots. They just take longer exposure times and you don't do any white balance adjustments. You don't need to open the aperture. You just need a good tripod and remote release or timer. This actinic shot was a 4-sec. exposure at f/29, ISO 400.
Gary

mwschalice01.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have to contradict you on this one, Rev. I'm no pro, but, other than white-balance adjustment, minor curves adjustments, and sharpening (because the originals are RAW files), my images are basically what comes out of the camera. If they require much work at all, I usually delete them. The goal of everyone who is learning photography should be to get it right in the camera.
Gary

What you do is exactly what I am talking about. Actually I do less work than that on most of my photos. Usually I do a auto correct and a sharpen. :)

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev, instead of those rather crude auto adjustments, try learning how to do some basic curves adjustments. It doesn't take much longer and you'll be able to deliver much more of what your camera captured. Some great tutorials here: Digital Photography Tutorials
Gary

Myteemouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow 4 seconds..
I'll give it a shot.
I do alot of pics only lightened (to dark from the camera) and crop thats it.

OP
OP
Littlebigaj

Littlebigaj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still can't get good actinics. I think I've looked through the little hole too much for one day. I'll give the actinics another whirl tomorrow. Thanks for the pointers!

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back