Recommended Return Pumps?

AndrewBrusca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!

Question, I have a 33 gallon mixed reef and I'm looking for a recommendation for a quality return pump. Is 1250 GPH adequate for a 33 gallon tank or is that over kill?

I've purchased 2 modest priced ones from my local shop that have failed. I think calcification may have factored in, but in any event, I'd like to see if there are any good brands or return pumps that anyone has had a positive experience with?

The ones I've had don't have an on and off switch which sucks, because it requires unplugging for feedings and WCs, etc.

I'd love to buy off Amazon for speed, but would also buy from Reef-focused sites as well.

Would the following return pump be any good for a 33 gallon tank? It seems to be well rated: linked here

Thanks for any insight.

Best,
Andrew

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try to stay in the <600gph range for a tank that size. Sicce 2.0 comes to mind.

OP
OP
A

AndrewBrusca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! Question Midrats, would 520 GPH be okay? It's a 33 gallon tank with an extra couple gallons in the sump.

Alternatively, I could go with 800 GPH as well

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a dc pump you can always turn it down a bit. Also keep in mind you’re gonna lose some gph from the height as well. Unless you’re looking at the ratings based on the height of yours already.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
, I have a 33 gallon mixed reef and I'm looking for a recommendation for a quality return pump. Is 1250 GPH adequate for a 33 gallon tank or is that over kill?

I'd say it's way overkill. You don't need high turnover through the sump to get high flow in the display. I see recommendations for 3 to 5X turnover through the sump and I think those are good numbers. (so in your case 30 *3 = 90 to 30 * 5 = 150)

I have a 20 gallon display with a 10 gallon sump (half full) with a sicce 0.5 return pump giving me about 70 gph through the sump.
That's not enough flow for the display so I supplement with wavemakers.

You can have a super high flow return pump, but that just makes you spend more

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!

Question, I have a 33 gallon mixed reef and I'm looking for a recommendation for a quality return pump. Is 1250 GPH adequate for a 33 gallon tank or is that over kill?

I've purchased 2 modest priced ones from my local shop that have failed. I think calcification may have factored in, but in any event, I'd like to see if there are any good brands or return pumps that anyone has had a positive experience with?

The ones I've had don't have an on and off switch which sucks, because it requires unplugging for feedings and WCs, etc.

I'd love to buy off Amazon for speed, but would also buy from Reef-focused sites as well.

Would the following return pump be any good for a 33 gallon tank? It seems to be well rated: linked here

Thanks for any insight.

Best,
Andrew
33g, 5x turnover is a good number unless you’re supplementing flow in which case go higher.

Your drain line will rate-limit return size too.

So….150-200gph. I don’t know how much room you have. I liked my COR-15 if you have an Apex. The IM mightyjets are good for the price. I don’t know head pressure for your system.

I said “forget it" and I’m going with the Jebao 20000’s for my new build…but my reasoning is I can buy 1 “name brand” pumps for the cost of 10 Jebao’s.

You have lost 2 return pumps…that’s bad luck. What brands?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

AndrewBrusca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actualy don't know the brands which is a poor reflection of myself. First pump was when I moved to my new home and just didn't keep the box.

Then the second one I was in a rush, and didn't think I'd ever need to replace it again. So i threw out the box and warranty lol.

Okay, so I'll stick with the 520 GPH. I'm also going to do some research on Sicce since everyone seems to love them.

What does DC stand for again?

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking for a return pump myself. I don't know, just because something doesn't come from a Chinese company doesn't mean it is made in China. I'm leaning towards just picking up a Chinese brand and saving $100+. Like I said, just because a company is BASED in the US/Italy/etc doesn't mean they don't just outsource and reap the profits. I've seen a few DC pumps in the 1500-2000 gph range for $80-130 with decent reviews (Jebao, StayGrow) so I think that is what I will pick up for my system (75 DT and 29 sump).

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth, I’ve got one of the Amazon dc return pumps. I didn’t purchase it (was given the tank by a friend getting out of the hobby), but I believe it’s the orlushy dc-4000 or something like that. It’s under $100 on Amazon. Anyways, the guy I got the tank from used it for a couple years, and it wasn’t new when he got it. I’ve had it running for a couple years since I got it. Has to be at least 5 years old, and still working perfect. Absolutely silent as well. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m prepared for that thing to crap out at any time. There is no customer support, and there are no replacement parts if you need them. BUT, you can get them overnight through Amazon for like $75 or something. If you purchased 2 of them, you’re still maybe half price of some of these name brand pumps. Could always keep an extra. If you’re into controllability though, there’s no app base for those, and you have to use the controller it comes with

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth, I’ve got one of the Amazon dc return pumps. I didn’t purchase it (was given the tank by a friend getting out of the hobby), but I believe it’s the orlushy dc-4000 or something like that. It’s under $100 on Amazon. Anyways, the guy I got the tank from used it for a couple years, and it wasn’t new when he got it. I’ve had it running for a couple years since I got it. Has to be at least 5 years old, and still working perfect. Absolutely silent as well. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m prepared for that thing to crap out at any time. There is no customer support, and there are no replacement parts if you need them. BUT, you can get them overnight through Amazon for like $75 or something. If you purchased 2 of them, you’re still maybe half price of some of these name brand pumps. Could always keep an extra. If you’re into controllability though, there’s no app base for those, and you have to use the controller it comes with
I agree. Only thing I think might be a little obstacle is that they are all fitted for Imperial measurements, and I am planning on doing standard (inches). But I think with soft plumbing you can be "close enough" and just clamp the end down well?

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I found it impossible to find any pvc fittings that would thread directly onto the pump for that reason. But it did have a 1” barbed fitting for a rubber hose and that actually worked better anyways than what I was planning. At least like you said it was probably just close enough.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 36
Back