Red Coralline

Blackhawk Fan

Jedi Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have red coralline algae dominate their tank? It grows on my frag discs and my rockwork, but the purple stuff grows on the glass.

Red on rockwork
IMG_1789.jpg

Red on older discs and purple on glass
IMG_1751.jpg

My lighting is a single 400w 20k Reeflux. There's only purple in my other tank with T5's on the same system. Could it be the color the 20k Reeflux gives off that the red coralline favors?

OP
OP
Blackhawk Fan

Blackhawk Fan

Jedi Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard and scrapes off like coralline. If it's turf algae, it's not like any I've seen before. Isn't turf algae usually fuzzy and grows like a layer of carpeting?

Mr E Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes that kind of coralline ends up dominating... if the red algae is bothering you on that flamethrower i'd be happy to take it of your hands for you :) I'm in the market for one, any ideas where to look??

coralfarm123

INDMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of that red coraline too, but have several other types too. For me the red seems to grow really well in areas of the highest flow and lowest light.

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the red and never could get the purple to grow untill I started adding Mag.
Now the purple is starting to explode everywhere.

JR,

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send MitchReef a PM. He had it everywhere and got this snail/invert that ate it all. I think it will also eat all the coraline but you ust have to keep it neer the red. But I am not positive. He will know the answer. Let me know if you PM him and dont hear back I will call him and tell him to answer you back.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of that red coraline too, but have several other types too. For me the red seems to grow really well in areas of the highest flow and lowest light.

+1; I have the red/pink in only one of several tanks that I currently am running. The tank is a 20long with t5 non-high output lighting, and I'm running two K2s and a MJ1200 for flow.

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I'm sorry to say it but mine IS maroon turf, not coralline, and it's a plague from HE!!...I cannot find anything that takes it out...Somebody said an orange tuxedo urchin will eat it, but I don't have the money to throw at a maybe....I'm thinking flamethrower...and I don't mean a chalice!!!

fenderguy1

Prop/Shipping Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some of that but its only on the plugs i got from you. lol It has not spread anywhere.

makingbubbles

Broke, Poor, Cheap Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have red coraline that dominates in one area. I have red, dark green, orange, purple, and an aqua green color. out of all the colors the red seems to start in one place and expand, unlike the purple that spots up in random places.

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have that dark red coralline in my tank too. I had 250W 12K's over it and now have 20K's. I have lots of flow and dose magnesium. I wonder if it has something to do with dosing mag?
PC071503.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 166 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back