Red Pill or Blue Pill?

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It used to be a tough decision for me to choose. Luckily, I chose both — during the day, the Blue Haddoni is mesmerizing and at night, the Red Haddoni shines under actinics with some hints of blue.

What would you choose? ;)

IMG_6037.jpeg

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you said... there's not need to choose when you can have both! Nice nems!

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks -- how is your tank doing?
The anemone tank is doing better. Finally managed to drop down the phosphates down to under .1, and the nems are looking better, though one of my CSBs just got shredded in my gyre and this time I don't think it'll make it. I am also looking to add another gigantea, though they're extremely hard to find these days. Sounds like folks in your neck of the woods (assuming you're still in SoCal) have better luck than up here in NorCal.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemone tank is doing better. Finally managed to drop down the phosphates down to under .1, and the nems are looking better, though one of my CSBs just got shredded in my gyre and this time I don't think it'll make it. I am also looking to add another gigantea, though they're extremely hard to find these days. Sounds like folks in your neck of the woods (assuming you're still in SoCal) have better luck than up here in NorCal.
Sorry to hear about your CSB! Is there any guard you can put over the gyre to prevent this in the future? I have 4 CSBs & 3 Haddonis so always nervous about them getting shredded - my red one lines to wander around the tank! I have nemguards on the 2 MP40s just in case.

Gigs: yes, nearly impossible to find as well in SoCal -- I'll make some calls this weekend. Red Gigs are like unicorns! lol

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It used to be a tough decision for me to choose. Luckily, I chose both — during the day, the Blue Haddoni is mesmerizing and at night, the Red Haddoni shines under actinics with some hints of blue.

What would you choose? ;)

IMG_6037.jpeg
Both are great - I would choose a color that stays the same as much as possible. However don't know how long your day and night period is

EDIT - and I'm not sure that your choice (or our) choice of color - is what's best for the anemone

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@D-Nak — IF I can find a gig (I’ve never had one), what is your recommendation on quarantine & treatment? Assume if it’s already healthy at the LFS, still quarantine? And if so, with cipro?
I typically recommend QTing all gigantea, meaning at the least placing it in a QT tank for observation (instead of going right into the DT). If it deflates, even once, treatment with Cipro should be started. Most often than not, even gigs that look decent eventually deflate and require treatment. Some I've had have taken as long as a month to show symptoms, but it's usually within the first couple of weeks that you'll know if you have to treat it or not. I'd say 85%+ need to be treated. They tend to handle shipping a lot worse than haddoni.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are great - I would choose a color that stays the same as much as possible. However don't know how long your day and night period is

EDIT - and I'm not sure that your choice (or our) choice of color - is what's best for the anemone
To be super honest, RED would be my best choice, both day & night. Blue gets washed out and too blue under actinics. I run three XR30 G4 Pros at 90% on a 29" high tank, photo period is ~14hrs, peaked for 5 hours.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically recommend QTing all gigantea, meaning at the least placing it in a QT tank for observation (instead of going right into the DT). If it deflates, even once, treatment with Cipro should be started. Most often than not, even gigs that look decent eventually deflate and require treatment. Some I've had have taken as long as a month to show symptoms, but it's usually within the first couple of weeks that you'll know if you have to treat it or not. I'd say 85%+ need to be treated. They tend to handle shipping a lot worse than haddoni.
Interesting and thank you. So far, the Haddonis have been ok but I have zero experience with gigs. I'm planning to find one locally so "shipping" will be just within an hour driving. Just to confirm: if the gig has been treated at the LFS, still QT and treat cipro (as needed) before entering the DT, correct?

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting and thank you. So far, the Haddonis have been ok but I have zero experience with gigs. I'm planning to find one locally so "shipping" will be just within an hour driving. Just to confirm: if the gig has been treated at the LFS, still QT and treat cipro (as needed) before entering the DT, correct?
It depends on the LFS. There's only one in SoCal that I'd trust to QT correctly (via reputation alone, I've never been there to see the clownfish with the $ on it. ;)). Otherwise, yes, still QT regardless of what the LFS tells you.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back