Red Sea Dosing Recommendation

JackerVenom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I have a question!
I wanna keep my tank as happy as possible and according to Red Sea they recommend dosing their elements everyday. My first question is this a good recommendation? My second is when it says dose 0.5ml of trace elements dose that mean 0.5ml of each or total out of all 4?
I already have some of the products like the ABC and the ABCD Trace. Would the doses just work for that even if I’m not dosing like reef energy or no pox?
Thanks for the help in advance!

Attachments

• YourReefCareRecipe_5fad6762.pdf
    91.3 KB · Views: 84

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And according to Red Sea you need to keep adding and BUYING those supplements for some strange reason. You do realize none of that stuff is needed and your just putting more money into the pockets of people that are business to sell you stuff? Look at some of their recommendations on levels and you'll find they are all jacked up, why? because they want to sell you stuff. That's their business model. While Red Sea certainly has helped advance the hobby(not knocking them on that at all), they are a company trying to sell you products they make, and therefore push all their products as absolutely necessary.

With a new tank and weekly water changes, there is no need to be putting anything of theirs in your tank. Wait a while until you get corals and fish in there, then do some more research on Red Seas "program" before dumping in any chemicals.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI.....

I just clicked the PDF you have there. If that's their recipe for your tank, throw it away.

11.5DKH for a new tank is death to most anything you will put in there, and on the razors edge of being over. The typical recommendation is anywhere between 7 and 11 with the lower end being preferable(most reefers keep their tank around 8 to 9). While elevated alkalinity will get you more growth faster, you need the extra nutrients(nitrate, and phosphates) to allow the corals to grow.

Everything in a reef tank is tied together. Just keep this in mind.

The other recommendations(other then their supplements) I would tend to agree with.

OP
OP
JackerVenom

JackerVenom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI.....

I just clicked the PDF you have there. If that's their recipe for your tank, throw it away.

11.5DKH for a new tank is death to most anything you will put in there, and on the razors edge of being over. The typical recommendation is anywhere between 7 and 11 with the lower end being preferable(most reefers keep their tank around 8 to 9). While elevated alkalinity will get you more growth faster, you need the extra nutrients(nitrate, and phosphates) to allow the corals to grow.

Everything in a reef tank is tied together. Just keep this in mind.

The other recommendations(other then their supplements) I would tend to agree with.
Thanks for the input. Interesting that they say the spent a lot of research to give the consumer the best results but yet recommend almost killing your tank? I was just curious about people's opinions if their recommendation is different? And how accurate there numbers are.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The research they did was spent to produce products to pull out nutrients and then put them back in...........it's a commercial system designed to produce revenue and profits.

Not to call out red sea...........all the commercial carbon dosing systems are designed to make money. The hobby doesn't really "need" them.

You can do just the same dosing vinegar/vodka keeping a good fish load and feeding them well.

The rest of their care system is basic reef fundamentals. You need to dose alk & calc daily as the corals use this up as they grow. Trace elements are in the food you feed the fish and also come from a calcium reactor and/or doing water changes.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 149 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back