OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just great… I wake up, my naoko wakes up a few minutes later and starts nipping at the larger peppermint shrimp, I went downstairs for a bit then came back upstairs to see a shrimp curled up on the sand bed in a cave where the naoko was.
As I was typing this, I saw the god dang naoko eating the now dead larger peppermint shrimp… I hope the LFS has another pair in next week, if they don’t then I give up. First, my favourite nano wrasse got eaten by a pincushion urchin (Last year), and now my naoko is gladly eating my peppermint shrimp..
38BC0912-FCE0-4F09-910C-D043AD57A414.jpeg
This week has been VERY low for me, I got a second peppermint shrimp and the boxer decided to kill him. Now, I look at my hammer coral and it’s on the brink of no return (If it hasn’t already pushed that line)… Guess now it’s just a fight till Christmas to try keep this tank alive.
image.jpg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week has been VERY low for me, I got a second peppermint shrimp and the boxer decided to kill him. Now, I look at my hammer coral and it’s on the brink of no return (If it hasn’t already pushed that line)… Guess now it’s just a fight till Christmas to try keep this tank alive.
image.jpg
You definitely aren’t the first person to lose a euphillia coral. They get BJD and die for seemingly no reason.

A quick google search: “[boxer shrimp] are generally considered reef safe, but will not tolerate other shrimp, even of it's own kind. They may look aggressive, but they tend to leave fish and corals alone.”

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s hard when all the loses start piling up on you, especially during Christmas. Good luck, friend.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LYou definitely aren’t the first person to lose a euphillia coral. They get BJD and die for seemingly no reason.

A quick google search: “[boxer shrimp] are generally considered reef safe, but will not tolerate other shrimp, even of it's own kind. They may look aggressive, but they tend to leave fish and corals alone.”
Here’s the shrimp I have, now after reading this and not skimming through it, I understand where some of my hermits, snails and shrimp have gone… This is annoying, I don’t think I can have any more inverts (The crab is still alive somehow though). I have S. scuttelatus, I would love to see an S. zanzibaricus in person though, they sound very pretty. Also could be an option for my larger tank with the cleaner shrimp.
image.jpg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s hard when all the loses start piling up on you, especially during Christmas. Good luck, friend.
I’m hoping the rest of my tank can actually pass Christmas, if I can’t get it past christmas it’ll most likely turn into a “FOWLR” with just a couple mushrooms

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping the rest of my tank can actually pass Christmas, if I can’t get it past christmas it’ll most likely turn into a “FOWLR” with just a couple mushrooms
Did other corals die? Or was it just the hammer?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did other corals die? Or was it just the hammer?
The two montis are dead but I feel like they’ve been dead a while now. All three mushrooms are normal from what I can see. I’ll do the tests and see if anything spiked though.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag fest was yesterday, I think it’s the UKs biggest aquatic festival or something along those lines. I came home with 7 corals, 4 for the 4’ tank and 3 for this tank!! Two corals were the same in both tanks but the rest were different. In this tank there are now a:
- Torch/Candy Cane Coral
- GSP (I’m aware of the issues with this coral)
- Duncan Coral.
CD9942CD-E0D5-4DD6-B299-A09B908F666E.jpeg
890FB830-402B-4C7B-99A8-F081A1F35253.jpeg
DA6D14F0-B7F9-4558-9C2C-039E31721FE0.jpeg

Here’s the GSP fully opened in the 4’ display (I’ve always overlooked it but actually, it’s really pretty in person!!)
B3C0BB2F-A33D-458C-8274-BF02AB0E12EB.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By midnight tonight, that will officially be two years of fighting off cyanobacteria… My salinity was rising to around .035, I’ve lowered it to .029-.027 and the cyano is fighting back. I’ll do the tests today along with a water change after. If it doesnt fix in the new year (2022) then that’ll mark 3 years of fighting cyano.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By midnight tonight, that will officially be two years of fighting off cyanobacteria… My salinity was rising to around .035, I’ve lowered it to .029-.027 and the cyano is fighting back. I’ll do the tests today along with a water change after. If it doesnt fix in the new year (2022) then that’ll mark 3 years of fighting cyano.
If you take some of the cyano and place it in a cup of tank water and add some h202 - does the cup water turn pink?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you take some of the cyano and place it in a cup of tank water and add some h202 - does the cup water turn pink?
I’ve not tried that yet, I’ll try it when I find some h202 though. What does it mean if it turns pink? Just wondering.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve not tried that yet, I’ll try it when I find some h202 though. What does it mean if it turns pink? Just wondering.
@twilliard did some studies and found different strains of cyano. That ones that make the water turn pink from h202 is Cyanobacteria that died from h202, and the one that doesn’t get affected is spirulina cyano which gets killed from chemi clean.

I did the test and found that chemi clean would work for my strain. I treated it and never had a problem again. I’d watch this video from tidal gardens as he also tried everything but only chemi clean could fix it:

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard did some studies and found different strains of cyano. That ones that make the water turn pink from h202 is Cyanobacteria that died from h202, and the one that doesn’t get effected is spirulina cyano which gets killed from chemi clean.
Is there a way to differentiate the two from eye contact? It looks like it’s dying off now since it’s become stringy but it’s also slightly worrying since apparently from what I’ve seen/read cyano can be confused with dinos.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to differentiate the two from eye contact? It looks like it’s dying off now since it’s become stringy but it’s also slightly worrying since apparently from what I’ve seen/read cyano can be confused with dinos.
Do you have pictures that focus on it better?

Kan123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you managing temperature stability? I feel like this is a big overlooked component of nanos.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red parts are definitely cyano.
Yeah, there’s mixes of brown coming in now… that’s what’s slowly becoming worrying.
How are you managing temperature stability? I feel like this is a big overlooked component of nanos.
I have the house heated most of the time but I lost the thermometer for this tank a while ago, so I have to warm up the barrel of water for about 30 minutes to an hour. I also have the heater set to turn off at 25 degrees C.

Kan123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, there’s mixes of brown coming in now… that’s what’s slowly becoming worrying.

I have the house heated most of the time but I lost the thermometer for this tank a while ago, so I have to warm up the barrel of water for about 30 minutes to an hour. I also have the heater set to turn off at 25 degrees C.
Definitely get something like an Inkbird temperature controller that can control a heating and cooling component. You’ll see the difference within 2 weeks as everything from fish, corals and microbio will be significantly less stressed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back