That Random Nano!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the natural reef rocks height inspiration! I think that’s so creative.

Is this tank going to be SPS, LPS, Softie, or macroalgae dominant?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I suggest not having the rocks touch the side and back glass?

Because one day you’ll get that coralline algae growth and it will be so much easier to scrape it off.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, my own experience tells me that the feeling of not liking the aquascape will stay the same.

I’d suggest making it look like something you’d be proud of. It’s a nano and should be a piece of cake! The goby will forgive you. ;)

Here’s one of my favorite scapes for inspiration.

EEC21CA6-82AA-48C6-B8F1-35BE990AC7BB.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the natural reef rocks height inspiration! I think that’s so creative.

Is this tank going to be SPS, LPS, Softie, or macroalgae dominant?
I think that now that I’m thinking of a black clown goby it’ll lean towards sps with soft corals or low light coral underneath them (Between most gaps).
I may keep the hammer in that tank forever but I think it will be put into my main display when I start going into the more red/neutral coloured SPS and softies (Shouldnt be hard with the amount of dull coloured softies are in the trade).

Last edited:
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, my own experience tells me that the feeling of not liking the aquascape will stay the same.

I’d suggest making it look like something you’d be proud of. It’s a nano and should be a piece of cake! The goby will forgive you. ;)

Here’s one of my favorite scapes for inspiration.

EEC21CA6-82AA-48C6-B8F1-35BE990AC7BB.jpeg
I see why it’s one of your favourites! It’s so Little Rock but stilll very pretty and filled with activity!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite softies are toadstool leathers. Man, I’m going to buy about 10 frags and spread them all over my tank. They have this soft pink pastel color and their tentacles give crazy amount of movement.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another quick update! I pulled the trigger after thinking about it - There was a bit of confusion with the guy who bagged him because I said what America tends to call them (Black clown gobies) but then realised the scientific name is the best way forward. They then recognised it and it’s called a Midnight Coral Goby over here. Here’s a photo of my little guy (I put paper towel over a small gap in the corner that I fear he could jump out of in the night). 67CA469D-BCF2-4C6B-A4E4-BA002032456B.jpeg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thriving actually, absolutely love him! By far my favourite species of fish besides the wrasses!!
What’s your favorite wrasse in the world? Based on looks and personality (doesn’t matter if reef safe or not).

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your favorite wrasse in the world? Based on looks and personality (doesn’t matter if reef safe or not).
Pintail fairy wrasse is my all time favourite and my dream wrasse but a close second would definitely be the femininus wrasse with the electric blue and bright orange body!!

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New scape again (I got sick of the aptaisia and so what do you do? Of course, pest control!! CBB in the 4ft tank eats aptaisia quite merrily so all the rock went in there and got replaced with about 6 other bits of rock). I also took this time to get 2 of the mushroom species from the 4 foot tank for my tank… I’m going mushroom dominant with maybe 1 or 2 SPS (For sure getting a stag in this tank). Here’s the scape so far:
3E77DA45-A9AE-4AF4-A8EE-5EF385C33ADC.jpeg
682DDFEB-9CFD-400B-BDB6-0F26108058C0.jpeg

The above photos were taken after the WC, here’s the top down photo (And one side on photo of my second new mushroom).

R. yuma (Yes to compliment my R. florida, the R. Florida is in the 4’ tank for aptaisia control by the CBB). This is spreading merrily throughout my 4’ and now has two rocks covered in it. The rock in my tank was the second of the two, there’s about 4 babies and the one mother mushroom on it.
image.jpg

and my blue mushroom (I spent years trying to get just one of these guys and now I have 2 in the 4’ and one in the nano). This guy is about 0.5” across and the mother in the large tank is probably 2” across.
image.jpg

Grumpy loves the new rockscape! He’s not hugging the glass as much now either!!
image.jpg

I have never been this excited over a clean/white tank haha, hopefully the coralline that is on the “new” rocks is able to outcompete the cyano! I may try squeeze one Goni in the front just for the sweet movements but I find R. Yuma to do that too.
Mr snippy/pinchy is out and roaming (He gets the name because.. Well you can see why) 92A41051-4727-48D5-AEF6-0780F88FFE89.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also forgot to update this however, the conch died a week ago I think now (I think the cyano suffocated it?). I kept the shell though! I have a collection of urchin and conch shells throughout my tanks and outside of them haha, they make nice ornaments when things like coralline get over them.
image.jpg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m certainly enjoying this scape much more and might have to make more of my tanks have a scape similar to this! 24 hours later and everyone is using it to its maximum way. The rocks looked too big in my tank and the fish in the large tank truly use the man made rocks more than mine! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Actually.. forget 2” across, this mother ricordea Yuma is Atleast 3.5” across pushing 4”.
image.jpg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the mother coral to both the r. Yuma and blue discasoma
2AF1DF7F-16E3-451F-A408-D06E3C4CEC1A.jpeg
BC21B0D2-ED5B-4F8F-92C4-F11119F253F1.jpeg

I know people don’t like the common mushrooms quite as much but to me, they mean much more when you’ve grown them from one small fragment of a coral.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re all probably fed up with the posting but this will be the last update today, I messed with my lighting for a while because the blues weren’t pulling out the natural look I originally wanted. What do you guys think to the 40% blues and 70% whites all the time now?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ugh, I miss my blue star leopard’s bright pink body but now it looks 10x more natural with it being more yellowish with the hint of orangey pink!
image.jpg

plus now look at the blue mushroom (thinking it could be a purple now)
image.jpg

I love the new natural look, fingers crossed everyone makes it (I did do a lot of tweeking of the lights so they’re on acclimation for the next 7 days).

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re all probably fed up with the posting but this will be the last update today, I messed with my lighting for a while because the blues weren’t pulling out the natural look I originally wanted. What do you guys think to the 40% blues and 70% whites all the time now?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Interesting! I’d bet it’s whiter in real life than in the picture, right?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! I’d bet it’s whiter in real life than in the picture, right?
Yeah it is however the leopard’s colours are so accurate! I love whites so much now, they add a bunch to the natural colours.
Here’s a photo with 0 blue and 100% whites (I was taking photos of the scape in whites only for a thread about SPS and where to put two or three of them on the scape)
6133997C-2921-4BC2-9AA2-66FA36413027.jpeg
D3FB7D13-D132-4952-A1EE-F6E955861C2D.jpeg
ABD1EB45-6B19-451E-9D4E-44E2DA4C1E01.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, forgot to say but my Monti got suffocated by dang cyano growing, It’s slower under whites than it is blue though? I wonder why that is. It also looks WAY more appealing under white lights when you want a natural looking tank.
image.jpg

Unfortunately the newer photos are blued out due to no sunlight boosting the white light over blue but the cyano looks more maroon going to brown under the whites! Here’s just a quick photo of all three wrasse I got too! I certainly love the colours more now because the blue still has the naoko’s blue stripes shine through but it’s not so blue that there’s just a bright blue light coming out of the window.
0B9E9EDE-B3D7-4E5E-82A6-977E9462EDF1.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back