Red Sea or Waterbox

collins.jason.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of each. Red Sea Max E260 and most recently a Waterbox Reef 180.5

Both are nice tanks, but my vote would be Waterbox. Their new line of aluminum frames, coupled with the awesome customer service I have received from them is the main reason for my opinion. Both are beautiful tanks, well constructed, and nice clear glass for good viewing.

Either way you will be satisfied. Sure you hear about the people with seam issues on red Sea tanks, im sure there are Waterbox people who have had tank failures as well. That's just the nature of having something built by humans. Every one won't always be perfect. It's easy to buy in to the horror stories, but I'm certain there are plenty of people out there with thanks from both companies that are several years old. People just dwell on the worst of the worst case scenarios. Plenty of other people have success just fine with tanks that are way cheaper also. Just get what feels right for your and your wallet.

Icedphoenix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an older red sea so it doesn't really compare to the new ones. I am waiting on my new waterbox. The deciding factor for me was the aluminum stand. The old red sea was showing warping and aluminum won't do that. This was an original red sea max 250 with the curved glass to give an idea on age of the tank. I bought it used and at some point in its life the stand must have gotten wet. Personally the different brands of equipment did not bother me as I picked what I wanted for my needs so the bundle thing did not weigh that much in the decision.

NicholasDRR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to decide between a Red Sea 350 G2+ or a Waterbox Marine X 100.4 tank. Is there a significant difference between the two? Both use similar glass and same type of joints and silicone. The Waterbox has an aluminum framed cabinet, the Red Sea is plywood. Sumps are similar, the gate valves are different in design, not sure if one is better than the other. Plumbing is similar as well. One thing I do like is Ted Sea’s ReefWave control system- pumps, lights and heater all integrated into one app. Has anyone had experience with both brands and favor one or the other?
I currently have a Red Sea 350G2 and its great. I am leaving the hobby due to a move (For now) so I am going to sell it but the quality is much better than the G1s and has been amazing so far. The Red Sea ecosystem is unmatched and is amazing.

shivamerlin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just in the same boat. Looking between RS 350 G2 and the Waterbox Marine X 110. I went ahead and ordered the Waterbox, better reviews and the aluminum stand is a plus. Can't wait for it to arrive...hopefully later this month.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back