Red Sea or Waterbox

Craigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to decide between a Red Sea 350 G2+ or a Waterbox Marine X 100.4 tank. Is there a significant difference between the two? Both use similar glass and same type of joints and silicone. The Waterbox has an aluminum framed cabinet, the Red Sea is plywood. Sumps are similar, the gate valves are different in design, not sure if one is better than the other. Plumbing is similar as well. One thing I do like is Ted Sea’s ReefWave control system- pumps, lights and heater all integrated into one app. Has anyone had experience with both brands and favor one or the other?

Wakenbaker420

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was torn between the two as well when we were looking for our first big tank. We went with the waterbox due to all the seal failures red sea had and the horrible reviews on thir customer service. We are super happy with the water box 130. And we have the older stand which we haven't had a problem with. Nice that they have even made it stronger and out of metal. The plumbing was super easy and great quality valves and the built in manifold was a nice feature. We got the waterbox sump as well.

Wakenbaker420

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if people are still having problems with the red sea app or not. I wanted to go with red sea doser but the reviews with problems with the app steered me away

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The people who own waterbox are gonna say water box, the people who own Red Sea are gonna say Red Sea. Not many have both to compare side by side due to price point. Some of the old Red Sea stuff wasn’t great, but their newer stuff is top notch. Water box hasn’t been around long enough to have had as much of a bad generation as Red Sea.

go with whatever YOU like more. Personally, i like the looks of the Red Sea stuff better, but that’s mainly because they can be a one-stop shop in that they have one of every product from their brand, and they all link together. I also love the look of their new ATO. Red Sea has more of a complete lineup whereas water box you will need to buy other brands pumps/lights/etc…. Speaking as a former automotive tech, it’s very intriguing and eye pleasing to see a complete toolbox of all the same brand of tools, not that there is a single thing wrong with a mix and match… all comes to what YOU like. They’re both going to work excellently

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 2 cents.
only go RS if you get the newer G2 I have there 300XL

WB just redid the reef and frag line up call the infinia reef & frag. they come with a full metal stand and removable socks so you can add a roller mat.
if I was shopping right now I would stronglt look there.

that said i did a made to order from Innovative marine for there 200 peninsula i am impressed with the APS stand. however I think cade stands have more features.
but worth taking a look at IM too.

lastly, don't forget glass cages worth playing around with there tank builder to get the size and features you want.

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
my 2 cents.
only go RS if you get the newer G2 I have there 300XL

WB just redid the reef and frag line up call the infinia reef & frag. they come with a full metal stand and removable socks so you can add a roller mat.
if I was shopping right now I would stronglt look there.

that said i did a made to order from Innovative marine for there 200 peninsula i am impressed with the APS stand. however I think cade stands have more features.
but worth taking a look at IM too.

lastly, don't forget glass cages worth playing around with there tank builder to get the size and features you want.

I was wondering what the difference was between Reef, infinia Reef and infinia. Basically infinia Reef is the new Reef? Website says estimated shipping 4/15-4/30. Any idea how much the DT weighs empty on the 150?

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if people are still having problems with the red sea app or not. I wanted to go with red sea doser but the reviews with problems with the app steered me away
I've had no problems with the Redsea doser the occasional disconnect but nothing to kill them about, I am happy with the 3 units I have, I also had to contact support for a part I misplaced and they sent me one at no charge.

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had both brands without any issues, I understand RS had some problems with seals at some point, my tank was the original Gen 1 Reefer series, absolutely loved the tank, I then upgraded to Waterbox because I wanted a peninsula tank and they had the dimensions I wanted, would no have hesitated on the RS if it was available at the time

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering what the difference was between Reef, infinia Reef and infinia. Basically infinia Reef is the new Reef? Website says estimated shipping 4/15-4/30. Any idea how much the DT weighs empty on the 150?
correct,
it should say on the spec sheet. just know it will be heavy 4 guys min.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Max 260, I love it. No experience with waterbox, but I do have another brand (cant remember the name) and a Biocube and I will say the red sea gives me way less headaches and irritation than the other two can at times!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catholic vs. Protestant.... ;)

It's a matter of religion, pick whichever one matches your requirements and expectations better- and whichever one is available.

Both brands has given their respective ranges quite the overhaul recently so either way, you should be good to go.

Of the two, I'd personally go for a Waterbox- without any objective reason what so ever.

Free choice though I would go for a Cade tank (.. which I did :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:)

OPL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at both Red Sea and Waterbox when I was looking at getting a bigger tank.

In the end I settled on a DD Reef Pro after seeing it in a LFS, both the tank/cabinet are solid and well built. I wouldn’t hesitate to get another.

Carlos Fernandez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Red Sea tanks a 650 Peninsula and a 260-E. Never had an issue with either one. Recently I decided to go for a "bigger" tank. I fell in love with the Waterbox LX 340.7 with a white cabinet. I ordered the tank and 10 days later received a message stating that they were out of the white cabinets for this particular tank with no forecast for when they would be available again, at least for the rest of 2023. Total bummer. Getting a black cabinet was a deal breaker, especially for my wife. We opted to go back to Red Sea and have a REEFER 1000S G-2 on order. I love the Red Sea Reefmat, so at least we'll have a sump that is prepped for it. Really would have liked to get that Waterbox, maybe next time.

Hankcorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both cost too much money and turn people away from the hobby imo.. 15 years in freshwater and 2 years in salt and I have spent more in 2 years on equipment, etc then 15 years in the freshwater hobby by thousands and I bred discus/true festae cichlids. I think more big tanks need to be made affordable to get more people in the hobby. The prices of some of the things you need to have a successful reef tank (skimmers,lights,wavemakers,tanks, etc) scare most away before they even mix a bucket of salt. Just my opinion..

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back