Red Sea reefer High Nitrates

Sppf121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was cycling my tank and after three weeks the of using the dr tims and stability program the ammonia and nitrites became undetectable. I had a promotional opertunity come up at work and thought it would be ok to let the tank sit for a few more weeks, while I was studying, thinking it would help the cycle. About 12 days ago I turned the my Radions XR15's on running them 10 hrs a day with max intensity at 40%. My problem is my Red Sea test kits is showing Nitrates at between 20 and 50. Colors are tough lol. I have no noticeable algae. I have kept the tank very clean.
What should I do to remove nitrates?
Thanks so much. I am ready to get this hobby moving
John

Anthony Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either a couple of 50% WC or a series of smaller WC's. Clean up the detritus while your siphoning water out. Then a regular WC schedule will keep it under control.

Run4Fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really depends on what you want to put in the tank. I've had fish do fine between 20-50. That's really not a problem for most fish. That said, you are certainly asking for an algae problem in the long run unless you get it under control, and certain types of corals would not tolerate this either. Do you have live rock and sand in the tank? Also, did you re-check for nitrites and ammonia? If those are at zero, you should be fine to start to stock with fish even with the nitrates where they are.

As far as reducing the nitrates water change and cleanup for sure as mentioned above. For me, after 10+ years of constant battles, I finally broke down and bought Red Sea NoPox. It took about 3 weeks of use before any results, than all of sudden fell to between 2-5ppm.

OP
OP
Sppf121

Sppf121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either a couple of 50% WC or a series of smaller WC's. Clean up the detritus while your siphoning water out. Then a regular WC schedule will keep it under control.
so I do not have any algae or detritus in the tank at this time. Is it possible the stability was dead? Would that cause high nitrates? I am also wondering why I do not have algae?
So weird.

Run4Fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a natural part of the biological process. Nitrite is converted to nitrate by bacteria. I'm not sure what dr tims is, but I'm guess it creates the biological process. You need to make sure there is surface area in the tank for the bacteria to live though. Most do this with live rock.

OP
OP
Sppf121

Sppf121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have about 40 pounds of Marco rock plus some pond matrix in the sump. Will the nitrates eventually go away on there own? At this time I have no fish or anything in the tank.
Dr tims is an Ammonia additive and the stability is the bacteria.

Thanks for your help.

Anthony Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking that the time you went before doing a WC gave you those high levels. Nothing is wrong with the tank I wouldn't worry about it! Just do regular WC however often you need to keep the nitrates down.

OP
OP
Sppf121

Sppf121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking that the time you went before doing a WC gave you those high levels. Nothing is wrong with the tank I wouldn't worry about it! Just do regular WC however often you need to keep the nitrates down.
Thanks

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are only temporary, what is the source of the nitrates ? over feeding? the system being so new that the bio load is not established? I am going with #2 new system. There are several way to export nitrates, one using a carbon method and another using a sulfur reactor. Myself I would just let the system rid for another two to three months and use patients.:)

Run4Fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the nitrates won't just rid themselves naturally (well sort of...at least not without some help). Water change is the quickest way to reduce, but again, fish really should be fine at that level. Please be sure to use patience when adding livestock though. Everything you add will have impact on the system, so go slowly and pay attention to the impact.

To keep levels low, water changes are a must and make sure you are using RODI water if possible. Also, look into NoPox and read up on vodka and/or vinegar dosing as long term maintenance options.

Anthony Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are only temporary, what is the source of the nitrates ? over feeding? the system being so new that the bio load is not established? I am going with #2 new system. There are several way to export nitrates, one using a carbon method and another using a sulfur reactor. Myself I would just let the system rid for another two to three months and use patients.:)

He doesn't have anything in the tank that's what I read. Which points out the fact that you could be doing nothing on the tank which he did for weeks with no bioload and the tank is still going to produce nitrates. Plus it's impossible to get everything out of the tank that causes nitrates there's always something there your can't see or can't get to which is supported by the fact there is no bioload in the tank. So when I said do WC's I meant it'll keep the nitrates under control for the source you can't possibly control.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back