OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not fact unless it can be supported by evidence..... show me the spectrometer reading.

I have asked Tullio, and he was very clear, it's bogus.

Do any other mh bulb manufacture's share your thoughts? Are they written down? Sources please?
If people say they actually saw the difference it becomes a fact to me.
I saw the difference years ago and aways try to face the nipple up.
When you see the difference you need to believe, right?
It doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens and you change position it gets fixed.
Like I've said, it will depend on the bulb and ballast.
You are totally free to believe in who/what you want.
Manufacture's advice:
mogul_installation_1_1.jpg

http://www.coralvue.com/coralvue-400w-mogul-base-single-ended-lamps

nippleorientation_1_1_2.jpg

http://www.coralvue.com/12k-reeflux-400w-mogul-base-se-bulbs

Grandis.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if i am wrong, MH bulbs and a few other bulbs are sensitive to fingerprints or other contaminants. When I was involved in stage lighting scenes long ago, we always make sure no direct contact with finger when replacing bulbs otherwise the new bulb will failed too soon. Is it still relevant nowadays?

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if i am wrong, MH bulbs and a few other bulbs are sensitive to fingerprints or other contaminants. When I was involved in stage lighting scenes long ago, we always make sure no direct contact with finger when replacing bulbs otherwise the new bulb will failed too soon. Is it still relevant nowadays?
It is not only relevant but one of the rules for MHs, specially for the double ended bulbs!!
The reason being oil from our hands could provoke explosion, as far as I know.
Grandis.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. I stand corrected. Thank you for sharing.

I wonder why that only pertains to certain bulbs/ballasts?
Combination of facts and "out of luck"?
Some never experienced the phenomenon, while others have many times.
Grandis.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not only relevant but one of the rules for MHs, specially for the double ended bulbs!!
The reason being oil from our hands could provoke explosion, as far as I know.
Grandis.

Good to know that. Yeah, I witness bulb cracking a few times due to oil contaminants but that was a 1000W halogen bulb :D

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If people say they actually saw the difference it becomes a fact to me.
I saw the difference years ago and aways try to face the nipple up.
When you see the difference you need to believe, right?
It doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens and you change position it gets fixed.
Like I've said, it will depend on the bulb and ballast.
You are totally free to believe in who/what you want.
Manufacture's advice:
mogul_installation_1_1.jpg

http://www.coralvue.com/coralvue-400w-mogul-base-single-ended-lamps

nippleorientation_1_1_2.jpg

http://www.coralvue.com/12k-reeflux-400w-mogul-base-se-bulbs

Grandis.

The paper insert in the Radium bulb also indicates that the nipple be positioned between 10 and 2 o’clock positions.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use damp soft cloth and a dry soft cloth afterwards.
Grandis.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The paper insert in the Radium bulb also indicates that the nipple be positioned between 10 and 2 o’clock positions.
Could you please post a picture of that paper here?
Thanks,
Grandis.

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the twin-arcs there are two arc tubes that are facing in opposite directions, the tubes alternate firing with each day the lights are powered. So, today I have one arc tube facing 11 o'clock, one at 3 o'clock and the last one is at 5 o'clock.... I can't see a visible difference between colors so I guess Tullio is right according to my bulb/ballast combo, orientation is not important. However, I've seen other manufactures that support what Grandis has stated.... orientation does matter. I think Ushio bulbs need to be in a specific orientation too. I just don't understand why it only matters for certain manufactures... hmmm.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the twin-arcs there are two arc tubes that are facing in opposite directions, the tubes alternate firing with each day the lights are powered. So, today I have one arc tube facing 11 o'clock, one at 3 o'clock and the last one is at 5 o'clock.... I can't see a visible difference between colors so I guess Tullio is right according to my bulb/ballast combo, orientation is not important. However, I've seen other manufactures that support what Grandis has stated.... orientation does matter. I think Ushio bulbs need to be in a specific orientation too. I just don't understand why it only matters for certain manufactures... hmmm.
Within the brands we still find some bulbs that react that way and others that doesn't.
The preventive way to use all metal halides is to try to install the nipple up, generally speaking.
I don't know much about the Twin Arc. But we know that would be impossible for obvious reasons.
Grandis.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you please post a picture of that paper here?
Thanks,
Grandis.

I guess the picture is instructing on the limit of the tilt of the bulb and not the radial rotation. However, the store owner that sold this Radium bulb to me instructed me to ensure the nipple inside the pressurized bulb be positioned "up" (between 10 and 2 o'clock).

IMG_0627.jpg

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting the picture.
I thought that I had a different paper with the Radium I've got.
Yes, that is referring to the tilt of the bulb.
Yes, the nipple between 10:00 and 2:00 is what is recommended by many experts.
Grandis.

lancesmith1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update on the flickering issue with the G-Mann lamp. I ordered a Reef Brite 20K from Aquarium Specialty last week. It came in today and is burning nice and solid. No flickering! The color is REALLY nice! It is a nice crisp white with a hint of blue. It is more of an icy blue than the G-Mann. With the RB led strips it looks like a Radium on a magnetic ballast. I have found exactly what I have been looking for in my lighting setup. The growth I am getting with the halides vs the Mitras is incredible. Even the LPS, ZOAs and Rics along the bottom of the tank are responding well and showing growth.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the flickering issue with the G-Mann lamp. I ordered a Reef Brite 20K from Aquarium Specialty last week. It came in today and is burning nice and solid. No flickering! The color is REALLY nice! It is a nice crisp white with a hint of blue. It is more of an icy blue than the G-Mann. With the RB led strips it looks like a Radium on a magnetic ballast. I have found exactly what I have been looking for in my lighting setup. The growth I am getting with the halides vs the Mitras is incredible. Even the LPS, ZOAs and Rics along the bottom of the tank are responding well and showing growth.
That's awesome news! It's a great feeling when you get the look you want from your lighting and good growth!

elFloyd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pose a different question altogether... how are you mounting your RB Hybrids?
If I pull the trigger I will mount three fixtures over a 180. Not sure about the industrial look of the fixtures until I figure out how to astestecially mount them so they pass the wife’s “sniff test”.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know where to find the brackets the attach the RB XHO strips to the MH pendant? I have an existing pendant with 4x RB strips and one with 2x strips. I need to find another bracket that accommodates only 2 strips rather than 4.

My pendant with the 4 strips will be too wide to fit into my new canopy.

@Reefbrite

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back