Reef Brite halide system users.

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. But to get the right spectrum you need to make sure the nipple is to the upper part, preferably facing the ceiling.
I remember when that was first pointed out back in the day and everyone though it was a joke.
Grandis.

Do you happen to have a picture of this "nipple" . I'm not quite sure what you mean?

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to have a picture of this "nipple" . I'm not quite sure what you mean?
mhtip1.jpg

Grandis.

Last edited:

Ztrain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this applies to the Twin-Arc bulbs. I was on the phone with Tulio this morning and his exact words were "just screw them in" when responding to the question, "Do the bulbs have to face a certain way?"
I'm going to guess not or that's taken in to consideration considering my twin arc the has the nipples facing the opposite direction so one will always be face down. The way I have mine screwed in is the white bar off the 10k lap is straight down at the 6 o'clock position. The nipple are directly to the side of each arc tube. After time my lights have completely stabilized just give them a week or two to burn in. I got a Hamilton 14k bulb and it flickers worse then the other two. Talked to the store owner and the gist was yeah they'll do that for a week or two welcome to halides. If you have a canopy you'll never see it. Only reason I do is because I don't have a canopy but the current bulb doesn't flicker anymore anyways.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this applies to the Twin-Arc bulbs. I was on the phone with Tulio this morning and his exact words were "just screw them in" when responding to the question, "Do the bulbs have to face a certain way?"
Certainly!
images

Good luck!
;)
Grandis.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to guess not or that's taken in to consideration considering my twin arc the has the nipples facing the opposite direction so one will always be face down. The way I have mine screwed in is the white bar off the 10k lap is straight down at the 6 o'clock position. The nipple are directly to the side of each arc tube. After time my lights have completely stabilized just give them a week or two to burn in. I got a Hamilton 14k bulb and it flickers worse then the other two. Talked to the store owner and the gist was yeah they'll do that for a week or two welcome to halides. If you have a canopy you'll never see it. Only reason I do is because I don't have a canopy but the current bulb doesn't flicker anymore anyways.
Could that be the ballast?
I would call them and talk about your problem.
That shouldn't be normal!
Grandis.

lancesmith1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My GMann is still flickering after 2 weeks. I am starting to wonder if it is the RB ballast? I have not had this issue before using Hamilton or Luxcore Ballast. I am willing to change to the RB 20K IF it is not too blue and the flickering stops. The flicker is driving me crazy. My tank is in my office and I am around it 10 hours a day 5 to 6 days a week.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GMann is still flickering after 2 weeks. I am starting to wonder if it is the RB ballast? I have not had this issue before using Hamilton or Luxcore Ballast. I am willing to change to the RB 20K IF it is not too blue and the flickering stops. The flicker is driving me crazy. My tank is in my office and I am around it 10 hours a day 5 to 6 days a week.
That is definitely not normal!! I'm so sorry for that trouble!
There are too many people complaining about flickering with Reef Brite ballast for my taste.
I'm so glad I returned mine!!
I would first call them to chat about it and see what they will tell you.
And depending on the answer I would just return the ballast/system and get a Luxcore with a Hamilton Cebu or a Spectra.
I definitely wouldn't have too much time to deal with flickering. :confused:
Grandis.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would call Tulio as well he’s a good guy just explain what is happening and see what he recommends.

My original pendants and ballast were destroying bulbs and he replaced mine very good people there

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would call Tulio as well he’s a good guy just explain what is happening and see what he recommends.

My original pendants and ballast were destroying bulbs and he replaced mine very good people there
Haha!!! Are you kidding me?
"Destroying bulbs"?!?!
Oh man... LOL!!!
This must be a joke! LOL!
Seriously?!?
I'm sorry. I don't know what to think anymore.
Grandis.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a733dbc937292628de58eb312f7d6dbc.jpg

Duncan’s this morning under Reefbrite XHO led MH doesn’t come on for two more hours.
The green in the stall of the coral came back after dosing coral professional solutions trace elements for a month wonderful stuff my favorite new discovery and learning this pass year.

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

According to Tullio, that center bulb is under pressure and there can't be a hole in it. The "nipple" is caused by manufacturing and is not an exhaust..... it is completely closed. The bulb would not work if there was a vent.... I think his exact words were "that's bull ****". lol.

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ever have any issue Tullio and Joy stand behind the company 100% .
They answer the phones and get issue or non issue resolved asap.
They are hands on. Even if you need to ask them for a recommendation of there products.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to Tullio, that center bulb is under pressure and there can't be a hole in it. The "nipple" is caused by manufacturing and is not an exhaust..... it is completely closed. The bulb would not work if there was a vent.... I think his exact words were "that's bull ****". lol.
I don't remember reading anywhere by anyone here saying there was a hole on the nipple after being manufactured.
That nipple is a projection done at the moment they make the Arc Tube where we find the temporary hole that the halides, mercury and gases are put into the arc tube. But after the injection it is closed.
And what I just wrote is the truth, not BS. LOL!
Exhaust is the term to refer to that spot in the bulb.
Here is another reference for you:
index_clip_image002.jpg

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-03/sj/index.php

Grandis.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ever have any issue Tullio and Joy stand behind the company 100% .
They answer the phones and get issue or non issue resolved asap.
They are hands on. Even if you need to ask them for a recommendation of there products.
I believe that. He is very knowledgeable too!
Grandis.

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't remember reading anywhere by anyone here saying there was a hole on the nipple after being manufactured.
That nipple is a projection done at the moment they make the Arc Tube where we find the temporary hole that the halides, mercury and gases are put into the arc tube. But after the injection it is closed.
And what I just wrote is the truth, not BS. LOL!
Exhaust is the term to refer to that spot in the bulb.
Here is another reference for you:
index_clip_image002.jpg

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-03/sj/index.php

Grandis.

Thanks for sharing the picture, makes perfect sense.... There was a post earlier that referenced venting of salts on the last page from the nipple, but maybe I misread it.

I still have not heard any evidence , besides anecdotal, that shows that the nipple needs to be positioned in a certain way in order to produce the correct spectrum... The twin-arc bulb has a nipple facing up and one down. If the nipple has to face up then why would Tullio have had the bulb engineered with nipples facing in opposite directions if they should be pointing up? Doesn't make sense does it? I would think that Tullio have engineered the bulb differently if the orientation of the nipples were relevant. I'd love to see some spectral analysis of a bulb with the nipple up and down to see if it is different. I guess the bigger question is... Why does Tullio think the bulb position is not relevant?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha!!! Are you kidding me?
"Destroying bulbs"?!?!
Oh man... LOL!!!
This must be a joke! LOL!
Seriously?!?
I'm sorry. I don't know what to think anymore.
Grandis.
Prematurely ending bulbs life instead of a year I was only getting six months out of them. I beleive the ballast was running closer to 280 watts instead of the 250 just my thoughts tho

Either way he replaced both my units for free and my new ones are working great so I have no complaints since then

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing the picture, makes perfect sense.... There was a post earlier that referenced venting of salts on the last page from the nipple, but maybe I misread it.

I still have not heard any evidence , besides anecdotal, that shows that the nipple needs to be positioned in a certain way in order to produce the correct spectrum... The twin-arc bulb has a nipple facing up and one down. If the nipple has to face up then why would Tullio have had the bulb engineered with nipples facing in opposite directions if they should be pointing up? Doesn't make sense does it? I would think that Tullio have engineered the bulb differently if the orientation of the nipples were relevant. I'd love to see some spectral analysis of a bulb with the nipple up and down to see if it is different. I guess the bigger question is... Why does Tullio think the bulb position is not relevant?
Well, well, we'll...
When we place the nipple of the arc tube upwards, the bulb shows the spectrum that it was originally made for.
When we place the nipple down, depending on the bulb/ballast, it could show different spectrum, visually.
This is a fact. Facts can't be changed. That actually happens. We can see with our own eyes.

Now, I agree that a bulb with 2 arcs, engineered with nipples facing in opposite directions doesn't make sense at all.
You need to ask Mr. Tullio Dell Aquila about that. LOL!
Yes, I would say more, that is the "million dollar question". LOL!
I'm just a simple aquarist.
Grandis.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prematurely ending bulbs life instead of a year I was only getting six months out of them. I beleive the ballast was running closer to 280 watts instead of the 250 just my thoughts tho

Either way he replaced both my units for free and my new ones are working great so I have no complaints since then
Hummm...
I think you might be mistaken to think that the ballast was running closer to 280 watts.
Did Reef Brite tell you anything that led you to think that way?
Their ballast actually run with less wattage than I would like, comparing to other ballasts and that is one of the reasons I returned mine.

Quote:
"Model-------- Input Voltage-------------Input Current---- Input Power ------Power Factor
175 Watts--------------------------------------1.5 Amps --------178.5 Watts
250 Watts -----100-150 & 240 VAC-------2.1 Amps ---------255 Watts -------------->0.98
400 Watts ----------------------------------3.4 Amps---------- 408 Watts"
http://www.reefbrite.com/product/reef-brite-reef-tech/

I thought the Reef Brite system would have a microprocessor which would allow the ballast to be a "Digitally Controlled Self Diagnostic Solid State Metal Halide Ballast".
Reef-Brite-150w-175w-Digitally-Controlled-Self-Diagnostic-Solid-State-Metal-Halide-Ballast-99.jpg

https://www.marinedepot.com/Reef_Br...sts-Reef_Brite-3M01089-FILTACBAMHHFEB-vi.html

I was really positive about this system, but every day that goes by I can't help but think that it has more problems than solutions. Unfortunately.
Am I the only one thinking that?o_O
Grandis.

Last edited:

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, well, we'll...
When we place the nipple of the arc tube upwards, the bulb shows the spectrum that it was originally made for.
When we place the nipple down, depending on the bulb/ballast, it could show different spectrum, visually.
This is a fact. Facts can't be changed. That actually happens. We can see with our own eyes.

Now, I agree that a bulb with 2 arcs, engineered with nipples facing in opposite directions doesn't make sense at all.
You need to ask Mr. Tullio Dell Aquila about that. LOL!
Yes, I would say more, that is the "million dollar question". LOL!
I'm just a simple aquarist.
Grandis.

It's not fact unless it can be supported by evidence..... show me the spectrometer reading.

I have asked Tullio, and he was very clear, it's bogus.

Do any other mh bulb manufacture's share your thoughts? Are they written down? Sources please?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back