Reef Brite halide system users.

nano24Clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hung my Reefbrite 150 watt XHO Hybrid and I love it. I switched from 2 AI Primes to this single MH. This thing is more intense than the two leds. I had an unexpected week away from home the day after getting the thing hung and ended up crashing the tank. It’s starting to come around and acclimate to the Metal Halides. Some of the corals that came around a couple of weeks ago are spreading their colony even. I’m so happy I made the switch. This Reefbrite fixture is sweet. Most stores know nothing about the system out here. I try to talk to them about dimming it through the Apex and they totally get lost. It’s really a shame that we have to buy online in this area.
I ended up getting that in-line dimmer for the XHOs. I was pleasantly surprised that it only cost $15.

nano24Clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hung my Reefbrite 150 watt XHO Hybrid and I love it. I switched from 2 AI Primes to this single MH. This thing is more intense than the two leds. I had an unexpected week away from home the day after getting the thing hung and ended up crashing the tank. It’s starting to come around and acclimate to the Metal Halides. Some of the corals that came around a couple of weeks ago are spreading their colony even. I’m so happy I made the switch. This Reefbrite fixture is sweet. Most stores know nothing about the system out here. I try to talk to them about dimming it through the Apex and they totally get lost. It’s really a shame that we have to buy online in this area.
I ended up getting that in-line dimmer for the XHOs. I was pleasantly surprised that it only cost $15.

nano24Clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tomxreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What dimensions are your tank? Also, what bulb and ballast are you using? I’m exploring my options on a 150w de fixture.

Reefbrite

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you are happy with your Halide system.

Reefbrite

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What dimensions are your tank? Also, what bulb and ballast are you using? I’m exploring my options on a 150w de fixture.
For best performance and ease of installation it is recommended to use the matching energy efficient electronic Reef Brite ballast. There is also a Halide/LED option available that comes with our Actinic Blue XHO LED units.

nano24Clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tank dimension is 18" cube. Running the Reefbrite ballast and the Phoenix blue bulb. It's quite the growing combination. I have no room due to frags colonizing after just a few months.

nano24Clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For best performance and ease of installation it is recommended to use the matching energy efficient electronic Reef Brite ballast. There is also a Halide/LED option available that comes with our Actinic Blue XHO LED units.

This option is my fixture exactly. I love watching frags colonize under this fixture.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefbrite I’m currently looking at your MH hybrid for a coming tank but I have a couple of questions:

1. What set up would you recommend for a 150x70x50cm tank?

2.I can’t seem to find any retailers of your stuff in Sweden, am I missing something or do I need to look somewhere else in Europe?

Thanks!

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefbrite I’m currently looking at your MH hybrid for a coming tank but I have a couple of questions:

1. What set up would you recommend for a 150x70x50cm tank?

2.I can’t seem to find any retailers of your stuff in Sweden, am I missing something or do I need to look somewhere else in Europe?

Thanks!
I’m not the pro, but I’d lean toward 2-3x250 watt lights. I’m not sure if they have a Euro presence.

Reefbrite

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not the pro, but I’d lean toward 2-3x250 watt lights. I’m not sure if they have a Euro presence.
We do have a UK distributor you might try contacting. I would suggest emailing them [email protected] and they can hopefully help you out. The combination 2-3x250 watt lights you suggested would certainly work very well on that system.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I’m battling a socket wiring issue on my reefbrite fixture. No matter what lamp or which ballast is driving it one socket always lights the lamp whiter than it should be. I checked the socket for a pinch or kink in the wires thinking maybe that is tricking the ballast into sending more wattage than needed at that socket.

during my trouble shooting I noticed that the orientation of the lamp is off when fully seated. The front is as it should be the rear is a 1/4 turn off. If I back the lamp out it’s loose enough in the socket to hang lower at the tip. I’ve tried several twin arcs and Hamilton’s it the rotation of the socket is off, not the lamp.

I see I can rotate it 180 degrees but that doesn’t seem to help the situation. Using the mounting screws on the socket. Is there something internally on the socket I can adjust?
Correct
FF89A33C-941D-4C08-8404-FFEA61AD0825.jpeg

incorrect socket that illuminates white

4BF29769-584D-4EB0-9EFF-036337A49CBB.jpeg

Thanks
Matt

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow been two weeks of swapping bulbs and I just figured out the issue, so simple. It was also the cause of the slight flickering I kept thinking I was seeing from that lamp. This affected Hamilton, twin arc and radiums.

the center ground nipple inside the socket, that has the slight spring to it was slightly bent, not allowing it to spring back and fully accept the bulb. It was the difference a 1/4 turn!
I’m going to put the Hamilton’s back in tonight and verify with them as well but the twin arcs were the ones that were most affected by this and are now perfectly uniform

hope this helps someone else as it was driving me crazy and was about to order ANOTHER set of bulbs. I now have a few years worth on hand

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1627589874085.png

1627589890855.png

"When using lamps in the horizontal position, it may be best to orient the lamp so that its exhaust tip (affectionately called the nipple) on the inner arc tube points up."
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-03/sj/index.php
The article has some other valuable information about halides.

That is the reason why there is a great difference of color produced by halide bulbs in most cases.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya know I had been reading through this thread and saw that. I’ll check it out when I get back home. I placed the Hamilton’s in there 1/2 way through the day and they looked spot on. Come the end of the day 4 hours later and one is whiter than the other. If that’s truly and exhaust or heat dispersion point that could explain the color change after hours of running.
Thanks A.grandis I’ll check it out
1627589874085.png

1627589890855.png

"When using lamps in the horizontal position, it may be best to orient the lamp so that its exhaust tip (affectionately called the nipple) on the inner arc tube points up."
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-03/sj/index.php
The article has some other valuable information about halides.

That is the reason why there is a great difference of color produced by halide bulbs in most cases.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking at the lamps one (the more white) is facing slightly up at about 11 o'clock. The other is at about 5 o'clock facing somewhat down.

the issue I see here is the wiring is submerged in some kind of silicon on the backside of the socket, making it use a specific channel for exit. If I try to rotate it 180 degrees there either won't be enough wire or it will be bent at an extreme angle. I'm guessing the silicon is used as a insulator since the mogul base mounts directly to the metal pendant? I'm not sure what other purpose it would serve if I remove it and rotate.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking at the lamps one (the more white) is facing slightly up at about 11 o'clock. The other is at about 5 o'clock facing somewhat down.

the issue I see here is the wiring is submerged in some kind of silicon on the backside of the socket, making it use a specific channel for exit. If I try to rotate it 180 degrees there either won't be enough wire or it will be bent at an extreme angle. I'm guessing the silicon is used as a insulator since the mogul base mounts directly to the metal pendant? I'm not sure what other purpose it would serve if I remove it and rotate.
You should contact ReefBrite. I've never saw or heard about any type of insulation using silicone or similar material on metal halide sockets. Perhaps ReefBrite will give you proper instructions of how to manage the problem. Contact Tullio. I'm sure he will be happy to assist you. Please publish some pictures of that silicone on the back of the socket, if you can. Very interesting!

This is what a general metal halide socket normally looks like:
1627631152831.png

1627631176579.png

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should contact ReefBrite. I've never saw or heard about any type of insulation using silicone or similar material on metal halide sockets. Perhaps ReefBrite will give you proper instructions of how to manage the problem. Contact Tullio. I'm sure he will be happy to assist you. Please publish some pictures of that silicone on the back of the socket, if you can. Very interesting!

This is what a general metal halide socket normally looks like:
1627631152831.png

1627631176579.png
Will do. Exactly what I was expecting to see. In this case both wires are routed through one of those grooves shown above and encased in a clear material.

reefbrite answered my pm here with contact information. So I’ll be sending off an email to them.
Thanks

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've shot a email off the reefbrite CS. I'm curious would 8-10 watts drastically change the appearance of a bulb? I've got 258w being drawn form one and 266w drawn from the other. Whiter being 266w

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that any difference in wattage will change the visual appearance of the bulbs.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that any difference in wattage will change the visual appearance of the bulbs.
So after speaking with Tullio today it is clear that this is a lamp issue. I gotta say superb CS on their part. He spoke with me for a good 30 minutes and was extremely helpful.
The wattage difference is so small I don’t think it would be as noticeable as what I am experiencing.

Hamiltons customer service has been great as well.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 54 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 54.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.2%
Back