Reef Chemistry Puzzle #8

  • Thread starter Thread starter Miami Reef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Second guess, CO2. Used by all photosynthetic organisms.

1701654153920.png
 
TDS meter works on principle of measuring conductivity, so it cannot be any "mineral".
I suspect it's something in gas or liquid form.
Ammonia in typical Reef Tank is mostly in liquid form, but in neutral pH it would be ionized ammonium kation and it would be detected by TDS meter.
Bacteria and corals consume ammonia, so this is my guess.
I don't think you're correct - Sodium is a mineral
 
I feel like it’s C02 but I don’t understand the freshwater ph7 part. CO2 lowers ph…
 
Good guesses so far!

I haven’t seen the answer I was looking for yet. :)
 
Answer coming later today.
 
HI! I asked Randy if I can do today’s Reef Chemistry Puzzle. He generously said yes!

Reef Chemistry Puzzle #8

Two clues today...

1. Loads of things want to consume me in a reef tank.

2. I’m pretty shy. Not even a TDS meter can detect me…but it can if you put me in freshwater at a pH of 7.

What am I?

Good luck! ;)

Previous Reef Chemistry Puzzle:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-chemistry-puzzle-7.1021725/
A marine shrimp!

Lots of things want to consume it
Is definitely shy.
Not detected by a TDS meter in a saltwater tank.
Is detected in freshwater at pH 7 (so long as you wait for it to die and decompose)

Easy!
 
Last edited:
HI! I asked Randy if I can do today’s Reef Chemistry Puzzle. He generously said yes!

Reef Chemistry Puzzle #8

Two clues today...

1. Loads of things want to consume me in a reef tank.

2. I’m pretty shy. Not even a TDS meter can detect me…but it can if you put me in freshwater at a pH of 7.

What am I?

Good luck! ;)

Previous Reef Chemistry Puzzle:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-chemistry-puzzle-7.1021725/
I'm going to say - mixing human emotions to a chemical/element/compound might not be totally fair:).
 
I had a feeling it was an organism...


But wait, this a chemistry forum! :confused-face:
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new