Reef Octopus Lux90 update

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a few weeks ago (link below) I'm trying to create a build thread with some updates.

Update:

The tank now has some additions:

Bicolor Angel
Royal gramma
Another pink pin cushion urchin
A large (2 inch) trochus snail
Red Monticap frag
Green Birdsnest frag

In my original thread I mentioned that I don't do frags....which I don't lol. I got these 2 frags just to make sure they thrive before getting a colony of each. So it will be about 2 months before adding some colonies. I added a 'cover' to the refugium section of the sump. I never intended it to be a refugium, its filled with miracle mud and rocks I didn't want in my display. GHA took over, so I manually removed it and covered the section, It'll be a cryptic section. The Mangroves I only have because previously I had a mangrove bowl which cracked with my move over the summer. Decided to put them in a media basket and seeded with a lot of pods. Today marks the 5th time I add pods to the system. They seem to hang out by the mangroves the most since the water is still, so I guess ill keep the mangroves there. I know some of you might say the Bicolor angelfish might pick on the zoa's, I haven't seen this individual pick on any yet...but also I'm not really considered since zoas grow fast. To me coral are just gap fillers for the tank haha (I know many will be upset lol), as I prefer fish much more than coral. So doubt any rare corals are making it into this system, but perhaps rare fish will!

My maintenance slight changed, Im now doing 10% water changes weekly (apron 6 gallons). Once a week I add KH/alkalinity and iodine from red sea. I decided to follow the red sea recipe for my system. I was initially going to use all for reef, but I so far I don't have the need to, and I've heard great things from following the red sea recipe link.

Overall its super interesting after doing this for for over 12 years I'm still learning something new. Even though my instinct is to go with what I already know, I really took a step back and made myself think like a beginner. For example: I know I could add more monticap and bridsnests frags or a colony and most likely everything will be fine, but if I was advising a beginner I would tell them not to. So its things like that that I'm reassessing.

But I'm loving the newbie butterflies feeling! ;Happy

I will invest a camera lens, so don't mind the blue from the pics, My lights are actually closer to white (Don't really enjoy the blue look lol)

IMG_0548.JPG IMG_0556.JPG IMG_0554.JPG IMG_0557.JPG

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like you are off to a good start - good luck on your new adventure!

You may want to add a build thread banner:

Please let me know if you need any help setting this up.

OP
OP
M

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 Month update:

This system has been through a lot of changes...but all typical to most systems.
Since the last update, I had a huge GHA outbreak along with some various coral, fish and invert deaths. But It's come a long way and all has been well for the past 6 months or so.

Negative issues I dealt with:

- A lot of newer fish died due to various reasons - bullied by other fish or perhaps just sick.

- I tried to add a mini colony of birds nest and red monti-cap, they lasted a few weeks then began to develop STN, now I just have coral skeletons.

- Had a huge GHA outbreak that last a couple months

- kept loosing various clean-up-crew rapidly

- Found a hitchhiker mantis shrimp - which was removed using a trap

- zoa's and mushrooms were on standby, some died but non of them grew or spread out.

Positive - current Status:

- Added an ATO that fill's in the small built in ATO - now It can last 10 days or so without me refilling it

- added an oxydator that helped a lot with the GHA and water clarity

- Clownfish have been laying eggs on a bi-weekly basis (Haven't attempted to raise fry)

-adding Easybooster phyto via dosing pump which has the pod population booming!

- Added a Noopsyche light, and beginning to see zoas and mushrooms spreading

- Switched to All-for-reef via dosing pump - which has helped alot with parameter stability

- The ATS has been growing very thick algae and staying consistent

- Clean up crew are thriving! been seeing some chitons, amphipods, bristle worms and more.

So there you have it. Overall I'm happy with the progress of this system and I hope it keeps going!

fish.jpg

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back