reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just upgraded from 0.6 t0 0.8.1. Full remove with purge and deleted .db
First, I really like the new interface.
However I am having a few issues, mostly with the configuration screen.
Changes will work on that screen, but seem to not implement across the rest of reef-pi.
I was able to add equipment, but I cannot remove panels. If I uncheck them, and try to reload nothing changes.
The reload and reboot buttons are doing nothing.
Also, other features are not working because I can not get out of dev-mode.

I have attempted this both in Chrome (regular and incognito) and the browser on the raspberry pi.
Am I missing something?
The admin buttons (reload, reboot etc) were broken due to some code changes . I have fixed them today afternoon https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/pull/243
Setting changes will require a reload , that’s by design .

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just upgraded from 0.6 t0 0.8.1. Full remove with purge and deleted .db
First, I really like the new interface.
However I am having a few issues, mostly with the configuration screen.
Changes will work on that screen, but seem to not implement across the rest of reef-pi.
I was able to add equipment, but I cannot remove panels. If I uncheck them, and try to reload nothing changes.
The reload and reboot buttons are doing nothing.
Also, other features are not working because I can not get out of dev-mode.

I have attempted this both in Chrome (regular and incognito) and the browser on the raspberry pi.
Am I missing something?
If you restart reef-pi by command line ( systemctl restart reef-pi.service) it should fix the problem

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib by any chance are internal pull up/down resistors used on ATO (GPIO17)?
I am wanting to set this up with a floatswitch that I have now.
My circuit is below, I dont think I need anything other than a current limiting resistor with the switch, and then possibly the pull down.
Correct?
Thanks.
reef-pi_ATO_schem.jpg

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib by any chance are internal pull up/down resistors used on ATO (GPIO17)?
I am wanting to set this up with a floatswitch that I have now.
My circuit is below, I dont think I need anything other than a current limiting resistor with the switch, and then possibly the pull down.
Correct?
Thanks.
reef-pi_ATO_schem.jpg

My understanding of the internal pull up/down is the pins have them. I believe pin 17 have it. I wired my float switches up using just two gpio and no resistors. I just use the internal pull up/down

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding of the internal pull up/down is the pins have them. I believe pin 17 have it. I wired my float switches up using just two gpio and no resistors. I just use the internal pull up/down
I saw that they have them, but I didn't know whether you had to activate them in code, or whether the activated by default when set to digital read.
So, you didn't need current limiting resistor either? Actually, now that I think about it, that may only be needed when sourcing output from the pin to GND...

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to code mine to turn those options on. I have two floats switch (with I took off my JBJ ATO).
Please note I am not using Reef-Pi so not sure what needs to be done on that system

My program does the following:
Set pin 5 as a out
Set pin 6 to in and pud_down [GPIO.setup(6, GPIO.IN, pull_up_down=GPIO.PUD_DOWN)]
Set pin 5 to high

I have another program (different pins) for my reservoir float set up the same.

The program reads every second to see if pin 6 has input

Now I don't have it running any pumps right now. Just changes icons on my dashboard to alert me the status. Once I get some time and spare funding (saving for a house) I hope to get a 8 channel relay (running 4 now) so I can get a pump on here for the ATO.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ryan115 reef-pi code does not explicitly sets the pull down/pull up parameters, since it is generic, and not aware of specific use cases, also the underlying library yet to support pull up/down (should not be hard to implement though).
I would always recommend using external pull up/down resistors. In fact I'll recommend adding resistors to almost all external circuits that are connected to Pi.
In your case, I would go with a 220 ohm resistor in between the 3.3 v pin and float switch, and a 10K between GND and float switch (R2) in your schematics. I am not sure if you need the R1/10K resistor.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that they have them, but I didn't know whether you had to activate them in code, or whether the activated by default when set to digital read.
So, you didn't need current limiting resistor either? Actually, now that I think about it, that may only be needed when sourcing output from the pin to GND...
Yeah, we have to activate them in code.

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ryan115 reef-pi code does not explicitly sets the pull down/pull up parameters, since it is generic, and not aware of specific use cases, also the underlying library yet to support pull up/down (should not be hard to implement though).
I would always recommend using external pull up/down resistors. In fact I'll recommend adding resistors to almost all external circuits that are connected to Pi.
In your case, I would go with a 220 ohm resistor in between the 3.3 v pin and float switch, and a 10K between GND and float switch (R2) in your schematics. I am not sure if you need the R1/10K resistor.
Fixed. Thank you.
reef-pi_ATO_schem.jpg

Somnifac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my 12v power supply and 12v -> 5v buck converter. I'll be prototyping things this week hopefully.

The big plus of receiving everything is that now I can start designing an enclosure, as I now have measurements of the biggest components to worry about. The power supply itself is quite large.

I'm also beginning to think that a cooling/exhaust fan in the housing would probably be a good idea. It will contain the Pi, the power supply, and the buck converter; all of which will throw off some pretty good heat.

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be testing the pwm output right now. Gimme couple of hours, and I'll update. You are using 0.8 version right?
@Ryan115 I have oscilloscope , I can cross check the signal. But this is not necessary, as I dont think its DMM related, else I would have at least encounter this once, while testing with so many Pis. Likely to be a software bug or wiring issue...
@philshel if the log is not reflecting the correct value, then it is definitely a software issue.
Ranjib, I am curious...what frequency are you seeing for the PWM on the scope? My DMM was reading ~540Hz (if I remember correctly).
If we need a RC filter, might as well dial it in.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranjib, I am curious...what frequency are you seeing for the PWM on the scope? My DMM was reading ~540Hz (if I remember correctly).
If we need a RC filter, might as well dial it in.
On my way to office now, I'll let you know tonight

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my 12v power supply and 12v -> 5v buck converter. I'll be prototyping things this week hopefully.

The big plus of receiving everything is that now I can start designing an enclosure, as I now have measurements of the biggest components to worry about. The power supply itself is quite large.

I'm also beginning to think that a cooling/exhaust fan in the housing would probably be a good idea. It will contain the Pi, the power supply, and the buck converter; all of which will throw off some pretty good heat.
you think so? Pi on its own will not generate that much heat. I am running some performance tests against pi zero and pi 3, and reef-pi is holding up pretty good with around 4 channels of pwm, 12 outlets, temperature sensor, all under less than 15% of cpu and 23 mb of memory.
I have to say that writing reef-pi in go is paying off :)

Somnifac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the Pi really that I'd worry about, it's the 12V power supply and buck converter that I would be concerned with. I assume that any DC power items you're using (5v for the Pi, 12v for the lighting circuit) are external, and thus don't add any heat into the system. Mine will be fully enclosed. There will only be a single point that plugs into the wall, and that will bring 110v into the system to be converted and distributed as needed.

Somnifac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib

Question:

I know it's planned for post 1.0, but when you add support for the Atlas Scientific probes, will we need the Tentacle T3, Tentacle Shield Mini, or Tentacle Shield board? I'm trying to plan my enclosure with future expandability in mind, and want to make sure there is ample space.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib

Question:

I know it's planned for post 1.0, but when you add support for the Atlas Scientific probes, will we need the Tentacle T3, Tentacle Shield Mini, or Tentacle Shield board? I'm trying to plan my enclosure with future expandability in mind, and want to make sure there is ample space.
Plan for the biggest, Tentacle T3. From our prototypes, I think I would personally prefer two independent ph & salinity. But there is likely to be cases where only 1 (ph) or 3 probes (ph, salinity & orp) required. Having space for the largest will be safer for any changes in long run

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back