reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

jcmental

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK Chaps. I know this will be a bit off topic but I don't know who else to ask. I getting rid of my 60x18x22 tank that I run 3 Viparspectra lights over, As you may remember one of my VS lights has a faulty controller and wont turn off using a relay on the switch pins in the power module. So I've just bought a 4x2x2 tank to replace it, I'm planning on running 2 VS lights controlling them with Reef pi. I'm also going to make it a hybrid system and run them along side 4 T5 tubes. I have 2 twin units with 2 tubes in each.
My question is,
Can you dim the t5 lights using the reef pi?
They are just standard units with remote electronic ballasts. or would I need to buy some dimable ballasts?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK Chaps. I know this will be a bit off topic but I don't know who else to ask. I getting rid of my 60x18x22 tank that I run 3 Viparspectra lights over, As you may remember one of my VS lights has a faulty controller and wont turn off using a relay on the switch pins in the power module. So I've just bought a 4x2x2 tank to replace it, I'm planning on running 2 VS lights controlling them with Reef pi. I'm also going to make it a hybrid system and run them along side 4 T5 tubes. I have 2 twin units with 2 tubes in each.
My question is,
They are just standard units with remote electronic ballasts. or would I need to buy some dimable ballasts?

Need to be dimmable ballasts, also with t5’s your going to want to run without dimming(fully on) for a week, just using timers to turn on and off.

binay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ranjib, just wanted to ask if I am going to be using the timer for power controller do I have to use an on time and an off time or use the duration to control the outlet .

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realization making this so its a presentable and stable device(few jumper wires) is a pita.
Copying your perf boards, should have bought precut single core wires lol.
30 minutes in and im already wondering what beer is a proper reward for finishing lol.
Will post Friday before i solder in place to make sure its correct.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ranjib, just wanted to ask if I am going to be using the timer for power controller do I have to use an on time and an off time or use the duration to control the outlet .
if you are using older version of reef-pi then you have to use two timers. Latest version of reef-pi allows specifying duration , and you can get away with only a single timer job to both turn on & off equipment.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realization making this so its a presentable and stable device(few jumper wires) is a pita.
Copying your perf boards, should have bought precut single core wires lol.
30 minutes in and im already wondering what beer is a proper reward for finishing lol.
Will post Friday before i solder in place to make sure its correct.
Chimay blue reserve :)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is,
No clue on this. Never used T5 :-( .

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimmable t5 ballasts use 0-10v pwm to dim. But regular electronic ballasts can not dim.

With t5/led hybrids i would do 1 of 2 options.
1 have leds ramp up and down.
Right before they plateau have t5’s switch on a little after sunset begins have t5’s off. Still get ramping, less money, can use aquatic life fixture, dont have to build housing.

2). Dimmable ballasts hybrids usually come with their own leds. These are also really expensive i think the ati one for 4’ is like $2000.

What i was looking at was 2 of these.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/dimmable-t5-ho-miro-4-retrofit-kit-let-lighting.html

To compliment 4 ai primes.
Inside a frame of aluminum corner trim rectangle, with trim parallel inside to hold the leds. Paint black.

For whenever i actually upgrade to a 4’ tank anyway lol.

binay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are using older version of reef-pi then you have to use two timers. Latest version of reef-pi allows specifying duration , and you can get away with only a single timer job to both turn on & off equipment.
I am using the new version but there seems to be a glitch in using duration as the timer is not switching off the equipment using duration for some reason.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the new version but there seems to be a glitch in using duration as the timer is not switching off the equipment using duration for some reason.
Then it’s a bug. Can you share the screenshot of one of these jobs.

For the time being, check if you can disable duration . And instead use two jobs (like older version )

I’ll look into this

jcmental

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimmable t5 ballasts use 0-10v pwm to dim. But regular electronic ballasts can not dim.

With t5/led hybrids i would do 1 of 2 options.
1 have leds ramp up and down.
Right before they plateau have t5’s switch on a little after sunset begins have t5’s off. Still get ramping, less money, can use aquatic life fixture, dont have to build housing.

2). Dimmable ballasts hybrids usually come with their own leds. These are also really expensive i think the ati one for 4’ is like $2000.

What i was looking at was 2 of these.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/dimmable-t5-ho-miro-4-retrofit-kit-let-lighting.html

To compliment 4 ai primes.
Inside a frame of aluminum corner trim rectangle, with trim parallel inside to hold the leds. Paint black.

For whenever i actually upgrade to a 4’ tank anyway lol.

Hey @Gareth elliott I was running a hybrids light using 2 sets of twin T5 lights with coral plus tubes in for a short time (Not Dimable) but took them off just before Christmas so I could work on the Viparspectra units changing out some of the white red n green LED's you can see them in the picture I made a hook on bracket for them so I can just lift them on and off when I was servicing the tank. Not brillient pictures but you get the idea I had one set each side of the led units.
tank.jpg
With T5.jpg

Danny Taylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool.
pH monitoring was introduced recently, documentation is not there yet, it will come soon. I am working on upgrading my builds with ph and doser functionality.
You should not need any programming knowledge. Some familiarity with computer and soldering should be sufficient . Keep us posted on your progress
Thanks I will do parts should be here next could I use float switch for ato as carnt find sensor in UK yet thanks

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve decided to add a second 8 channel SSD relay. I remember reading that I’ll need to add something else in order to add this but can’t remember what. Can someone remind me?

Ranjib,
What board do I need to order to add my second 8 relay board?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranjib,
What board do I need to order to add my second 8 relay board?
Power is our main concern here. Each of the relays draw 15-20ma current. It is recommended that the total current draw from GPIO (we need 1 for each relay) to be less than 50-70ma. I would recommend use a transistor for each channel and use the GPIO to control the transistor . Thus the current draw from GPIO will be less, and you probably have ample current from the 5v rail , I am assuming you are using a beefier power supply (say 5v 2.4a).
In short, you need 1 common npn transistor per channel, 1 2.2k resistor, 1 10K resistor. So, total 8 transistor (2n222a), 8 10K resistor, 8 2.2 k resistor, I would also note that we have had 16 channel relay working without this, but its probably not safe or durable. You can use this as reference:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5-HND9HJkXWSTQtYlFTZ3VyODA/edit
Let me know if you have any question,

jcmental

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

voltesep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this may well have been asked already and I've missed it?.. I'm hoping to use my reef pi with a diy hybrid...
the question being can I vary the 5 channels of led through the photo period .. so more blue in morning and evening as well as switching 3 banks of t5?

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power is our main concern here. Each of the relays draw 15-20ma current. It is recommended that the total current draw from GPIO (we need 1 for each relay) to be less than 50-70ma. I would recommend use a transistor for each channel and use the GPIO to control the transistor . Thus the current draw from GPIO will be less, and you probably have ample current from the 5v rail , I am assuming you are using a beefier power supply (say 5v 2.4a).
In short, you need 1 common npn transistor per channel, 1 2.2k resistor, 1 10K resistor. So, total 8 transistor (2n222a), 8 10K resistor, 8 2.2 k resistor, I would also note that we have had 16 channel relay working without this, but its probably not safe or durable. You can use this as reference:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5-HND9HJkXWSTQtYlFTZ3VyODA/edit
Let me know if you have any question,

Thanks! I was unclear on what I was looking for. I need the link to the board that provides more GPIO ports. (For power, I think I'll be ok. I WAS using the 2.5A ps, but now have switched to a USB powerstrip that provides 3.0A.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I was unclear on what I was looking for. I need the link to the board that provides more GPIO ports. (For power, I think I'll be ok. I WAS using the 2.5A ps, but now have switched to a USB powerstrip that provides 3.0A.
No, there is no board that will increase the number of GPIO. The popular IO expansion board that have no soeciak IC in them are just physical length extension boards., i.e. they spread out the Isame pins in larger surface area, making it easy to solder/connect jumper wires

There are special ICs that can increase the number I/O pins, example will be MCP23017 IC. Each of those ICs will add 16 pins to Pi, but to support those reef-pi needs special code and configuration support (like users should be able to specify that this pin belongs to mcp23017 ) etc. We have not required this yet.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back