reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running reef-pi since version 0.0.6 in June of 2017 but I finally have built an enclosure for my project.

It is a “rough draft” so to speak with several issues I plan to fix. It is 3D printed and I will release the STL files once I fix the problems. The logo is credit to @MaccaPopEye !!

1C5C0969-7BCC-4A37-BD35-9A75CAD28412.jpeg 36EFEEF2-F4C9-460F-93EB-3F6A4A87F8AB.jpeg 74DBD88B-1171-40EF-9AB9-6D51519E1B30.jpeg 5D5E2CC3-8994-4A03-A636-11099618880E.jpeg

EB3D99E8-A9A1-488F-8AC8-113D9A27FD5A.jpeg
Great job mate, that looks awesome!

I love that!! I want a 3d printer so bad!! lol
Decent kits are getting cheaper and cheaper by the day :p The Creality Ender 3 and the Geeetch A10 seem to be competing to see who can be the cheapest printer with the best features :) (both getting great reviews at only $200).

Are you willing to make these for folks?
While filament & power costs are quite cheap, you would probably find it doesn't end up very cost effective after shipping large 3D printed boxes.

There are plenty of online services where you can upload an STL file and they will make it and send it to you, but it's usually quite expensive, and with the price of printers these days if you want more than 2 or 3 parts you might as well just buy your own printer.

A cheaper option might be for you to see if there is anyone in your local area with a 3D printer that is happy to print out commissions, however I have found a lot of people don't like doing this as it's time consuming, it can be hard to determine a fair price and they also usually have to eat the cost of any failed prints etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job mate, that looks awesome!

Decent kits are getting cheaper and cheaper by the day :p The Creality Ender 3 and the Geeetch A10 seem to be competing to see who can be the cheapest printer with the best features :) (both getting great reviews at only $200).

While filament & power costs are quite cheap, you would probably find it doesn't end up very cost effective after shipping large 3D printed boxes.

There are plenty of online services where you can upload an STL file and they will make it and send it to you, but it's usually quite expensive, and with the price of printers these days if you want more than 2 or 3 parts you might as well just buy your own printer.

A cheaper option might be for you to see if there is anyone in your local area with a 3D printer that is happy to print out commissions, however I have found a lot of people don't like doing this as it's time consuming, it can be hard to determine a fair price and they also usually have to eat the cost of any failed prints etc.
There are folks here in reef2reef who will print and ship it to you if you pay for it. Search for 3d printing thread or start a thread asking for help in diy section
I think it’s not only the printer , but the steep learning curve required to learn / calibrate/ tune them is some thing that might put people off. Though my experience is rusty , I had a mini Kossel/ delta 4 years before. Things should be lot easier now

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.

I've been running the latest release since it was posted and must say, all is working well.

Just a thought - I use a macro for a feed function mostly to turn the return pump off while feeding, but also to turn off systems like temp control while feeding. It works very well for me. BUT (there's always a but isn't there?) it would be nice to have a button that can cancel the macro function in the middle of it running.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed (FINALLY) REEF--PI 2X on my PI ZERO.. The user interface is much better . The ability to edit everything to me is one of the MOST Important changes. I Have been running this on my Work bench for months . This is going to be a BIG Part of the NEW Tank and SUMP UPGRADE (link below)

Will install the new Sump next Saturday and should have wiring ready for new Outlets and so on by then .

Thanks again Guys ..

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.

I've been running the latest release since it was posted and must say, all is working well.

Just a thought - I use a macro for a feed function mostly to turn the return pump off while feeding, but also to turn off systems like temp control while feeding. It works very well for me. BUT (there's always a but isn't there?) it would be nice to have a button that can cancel the macro function in the middle of it running.
Macro is just being introduced in 2.x by no means it is done, this is the starting of macro. I expect it to be as much work as the rest of the reef-pi combined. Pretty much all complex workflows will be based on macros. Killing inflight macro, widget for invoking macros from dashboard, enabling cluster wide macro are some of the main features even I want. I hope some of those will land in 3.0. So dont hold your breathe for 2.0 release :0), but expect some of these improvements to land post 2.0 release, slowly. I think I'll create an issue to track this

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.

And thank you for the props :), I'm glad its working out for you.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed (FINALLY) REEF--PI 2X on my PI ZERO.. The user interface is much better . The ability to edit everything to me is one of the MOST Important changes. I Have been running this on my Work bench for months . This is going to be a BIG Part of the NEW Tank and SUMP UPGRADE (link below)

Will install the new Sump next Saturday and should have wiring ready for new Outlets and so on by then .

Thanks again Guys ..
Glad you like the new interface. Most of the work is done by @Zekth and @Michael Lane on improving the UI and making it responsive (mobile friendly). I am blown away by their contributions. Opensource shines in presence of contributors like this.
I'll check out your upgrade build :)

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you like the new interface. Most of the work is done by @Zekth and @Michael Lane on improving the UI and making it responsive (mobile friendly). I am blown away by their contributions. Opensource shines in presence of contributors like this.
I'll check out your upgrade build :)
Thanks
@Zekth and @Michael Lane

Yea @Ranjib Its been a mess around here with the tank seal blowing out in the middle of me trying to get this tight scheduled renovation project done . But it got done tank got replaced and Fishes and MY Customers are happy... I am not starting another LARGE Work Project until my Aquarium , Sump and So on are Squared away.. I do have a full week next week to catch up on things i pushed back for reg customers..

thanks again guys

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finishing up the build phase of my reef-pi project. A little more wiring and tidying up and it will have temp, lights and power control. I need to order the parts to get the pH and orp monitoring installed still. I have enough room on the front of the control module for a monitor (if I decide to use one) IMG_20181023_205847.jpg IMG_20181026_012028.jpg IMG_20181026_012651.jpg 20181027_174458.jpg and another board for the pwm for lights and the DC main pump in the future.

LionHeart2017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finishing up the build phase of my reef-pi project. A little more wiring and tidying up and it will have temp, lights and power control. I need to order the parts to get the pH and orp monitoring installed still. I have enough room on the front of the control module for a monitor (if I decide to use one) IMG_20181023_205847.jpg IMG_20181026_012028.jpg IMG_20181026_012651.jpg 20181027_174458.jpg and another board for the pwm for lights and the DC main pump in the future.
That's looking epic, that's a big psu, can I ask more about the lighting your using and what control you'll have over them

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro is just being introduced in 2.x by no means it is done, this is the starting of macro. I expect it to be as much work as the rest of the reef-pi combined. Pretty much all complex workflows will be based on macros. Killing inflight macro, widget for invoking macros from dashboard, enabling cluster wide macro are some of the main features even I want. I hope some of those will land in 3.0. So dont hold your breathe for 2.0 release :0), but expect some of these improvements to land post 2.0 release, slowly. I think I'll create an issue to track this

Awesome - As usual your dedication to this astounds me Ranjib. I'm sure you will get it done as and when timing allows, I just thought I'd mention it.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love looking at these wooden enclosures :-0)

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OOOOOoooops

I think I just jinxed my run of trouble-free Reef-Pi running :(

I went to check on tank temp and to run a quick top-up macro to prime my Kalkwasser Stirrer and nothing. Yip. Nothing. I can't access the Pi at all. When I do try go to the IP address of my Reef-Pi, I get nothing except the Laptop downloads a 1kb file called "download".

I can still access my other build on my Brineshrimp hatchery.

Any ideas guys?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OOOOOoooops

I think I just jinxed my run of trouble-free Reef-Pi running :(

I went to check on tank temp and to run a quick top-up macro to prime my Kalkwasser Stirrer and nothing. Yip. Nothing. I can't access the Pi at all. When I do try go to the IP address of my Reef-Pi, I get nothing except the Laptop downloads a 1kb file called "download".

I can still access my other build on my Brineshrimp hatchery.

Any ideas guys?
Can you access the pi using ssh ? try hard refreshing your browser

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiveminds, I have cut a new release candidate, and hopefully the last release candidate before the final 2.o release (around Thanksgiving). This release mostly contains various bugfixes, including a critical temperature controller fix (thank you @b4tn and others for pointing it out). Following are the highlights:

Bug fixes
  • Temperature controller will not enforce cooldown routine when cooling device is not defined.
  • Ignore superfluous API error during reload, since its expected
  • Don't crash reef-pi is pca9685 is enabled but absent
  • Sync lights as soon as the controller starts, instead of waiting till the first interval (1 minute)
  • Bring back ATO notification UI
  • Fix telemetry update and dashboard update button width
  • Fix temperature enable UI in edit mode
  • Don't close all GPIO (resulting in start/stop of equipment/outlets) during shutdown/reload
Features
  • Introduce Connection lost error UI
Chores/Enhancements
  • Connector UI enhancements
  • Input validation and mobile UI enhancements for Macro
release builds can be found in usual location: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/2.0.0-rc2

Thank you again for testing these pre-release builds, every issue reported by you help us addressing them before it hits the wider audience

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the new feature that I am liking is ability to see some of the critical errors from UI. Here is an example of telemetry error (failure to submit data in adafruit.io, not sure if it was my router's error or adafruit.io)
Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 3.26.01 PM.png

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back