reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I found there's nano beam as well.. I am definitely going to try this in future to build a housing for one of the reef-pi modules. http://www.nanobeam.us/
Wow...M1.2 fasteners? Those are tiny.
What thickness panes would that hold to make an enclosure?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...M1.2 fasteners? Those are tiny.
What thickness panes would that hold to make an enclosure?
I don’t know for sure , I was thinking of plexiglass . I am also thinking, do we need panes ? Like what if we just mount the pi / hat / PCb straight on the frames and do very good job of wire management, but no walls

LionHeart2017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know for sure , I was thinking of plexiglass . I am also thinking, do we need panes ? Like what if we just mount the pi / hat / PCb straight on the frames and do very good job of wire management, but no walls
I'd worry about corrosion with an open housing, unless it was a more remote location to the tank

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd worry about corrosion with an open housing, unless it was a more remote location to the tank
Fair concern, the controller will be inside the stand. I have two backup controller built using uxcell plastic enclosures . .. for the new stand I,lol use those . I could reuse my existing controllers , but since they won’t be together any more , the current setup won’t work ( they share a single Kessil controller ) . I am also aiming for but harder livestock , thinking of seriously giving across a try in one of the pico tank.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair concern, the controller will be inside the stand. I have two backup controller built using uxcell plastic enclosures . .. for the new stand I,lol use those . I could reuse my existing controllers , but since they won’t be together any more , the current setup won’t work ( they share a single Kessil controller ) . I am also aiming for but harder livestock , thinking of seriously giving across a try in one of the pico tank.

Time to add your own LED build to the project!

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally , are you still selling the AcroStar led strips ?

Strips needed a re-design to be viable, so I pulled them for now. Always happy to add some of the original models though since I do have the parts. Most people liked the dense pucks, which would be pretty nice for a pico tank :)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am already seeing the issue with kessil a360 in my biocube29. Though the acros are growing , they all seems to creep towards the light source and increased shading downwards . I am thinking of adding 10/15w lights in every corner, or put 4 one foot led strips in each side

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am already seeing the issue with kessil a360 in my biocube29. Though the acros are growing , they all seems to creep towards the light source and increased shading downwards . I am thinking of adding 10/15w lights in every corner, or put 4 one foot led strips in each side

Makes sense - let me see what I can whip up for this with a large diffuser plate. If you know the overall surface area of the aquarium for the light it would help :)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strips needed a re-design to be viable, so I pulled them for now. Always happy to add some of the original models though since I do have the parts. Most people liked the dense pucks, which would be pretty nice for a pico tank :)
I have kessil a80 already which should be ample (that’s what I felt ), at 15w, but I thinks it’s too spread out , and the pendant effect is another worry . But for pico form factor this may be ok, and in that case I need something with narrow focus like 40 to 50 degree

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...and now for my next trick... hacking an eheim feeder to run off reef-pi! :D

20181209_223745.jpg

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a lot put together tonight and there is a lot going on in this pic lol but the PCA9685 is working as expected, doser pwm is working, all my gpio pins trigger like they are supposed to. But of all things the stupid relays I added are not working.

They are 12 volt opto isolated relays that have jumpers for both high and low level trigger. Since it’s running directly off the gpio I have the jumpers on the relay set to high. The relay shield has power and lights up. If I switch the equipment tab in reef-pi to on, the led on the relays light up but no click. If I change the jumpers to low level trigger they turn on and click as soon as the RPI has power I tried another relay shield same brand and get the same thing. Any ideas?

25470eb4efb406b5273d33a7d49ac81e.jpg

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a lot put together tonight and there is a lot going on in this pic lol but the PCA9685 is working as expected, doser pwm is working, all my gpio pins trigger like they are supposed to. But of all things the stupid relays I added are not working.

They are 12 volt opto isolated relays that have jumpers for both high and low level trigger. Since it’s running directly off the gpio I have the jumpers on the relay set to high. The relay shield has power and lights up. If I switch the equipment tab in reef-pi to on, the led on the relays light up but no click. If I change the jumpers to low level trigger they turn on and click as soon as the RPI has power I tried another relay shield same brand and get the same thing. Any ideas?

25470eb4efb406b5273d33a7d49ac81e.jpg
Can you check with multimeter that outlet on/off working as expected on the connector pins in the relay (i.e. you are getting 12v or on at the other end of the connector wire, right at the junction of the relay)?
Next check if the relay works with everything else unplugged .

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you check with multimeter that outlet on/off working as expected on the connector pins in the relay (i.e. you are getting 12v or on at the other end of the connector wire, right at the junction of the relay)?
Next check if the relay works with everything else unplugged .

I think I figured it out. The relay power has 12 volts, the input gets a solid 3.3 volts and the relay LED lights up but does not click on. The voltage does not drop. It works the same both with everything plugged in and working on its own everything unplugged. However, if I put the relay input to 12 or 5 volts it clicks. If I swap the jumper to low level and bring the input to ground it clicks. Direct to the 3.3v rail and it just lights the Led. I need to find the specs but looks like the relays I got don’t activate below 5 volts

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I figured it out. The relay power has 12 volts, the input gets a solid 3.3 volts and the relay LED lights up but does not click on. The voltage does not drop. It works the same both with everything plugged in and working on its own everything unplugged. However, if I put the relay input to 12 or 5 volts it clicks. If I swap the jumper to low level and bring the input to ground it clicks. Direct to the 3.3v rail and it just lights the Led. I need to find the specs but looks like the relays I got don’t activate below 5 volts
Use a npn transistor , exactly same as the Kessil controller circuit

LionHeart2017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you want to use the low level and it should work, in reef-pi you may need to use the reverse setting in the connector settings setup

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back