reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2) The actual frames are available in 300/600/900 mm sizes. Because I need 28" height, which is around 711mm, I have to either use 900mm frames and cut it to size or use 600mm and do something to adjust the gap. Is that even possible to do easily at home? cut anodized aluminum frames. and i'll also loos the threaded ends at the end of the frame (probably fine)
@Ranjib : have you seen this https://www.makerbeam.com/service/ (1.1 Do you offer custom cut lengths?)
There is German company who makes custom sizes, checked their website but you have to ask about shipping costs outside of Europe, most likely they will need to know exact size and quantities for size & weight. The makerbeam also refers to Fablab's, maybe that's an option in your area.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib : have you seen this https://www.makerbeam.com/service/ (1.1 Do you offer custom cut lengths?)
There is German company who makes custom sizes, checked their website but you have to ask about shipping costs outside of Europe, most likely they will need to know exact size and quantities for size & weight. The makerbeam also refers to Fablab's, maybe that's an option in your area.
I am thinking of this, all with precut lengths
4405A4D9-B46B-4806-AAD9-A6170683522F.png

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of this, all with precut lengths
4405A4D9-B46B-4806-AAD9-A6170683522F.png
Any reason not to use standard 2020 alu profiles? Looking at the Makerbeam available brackets I think you will have some limitations. You will have to place them on the outside of the alu profiles as on the 'inside' there will be another alu profile, so the brackets will get into 'conflict' with any housing coverage. For 2020 there are internal 90 degree options, so for a T bracket you can use 1 or 2 on both sides.
41gRnC9jk4L.jpg

Personally I would also feel more comfortable with 20x20mm at 710mm height plus aquarium on top of it. Also on Thingiverse there are many add-on's for 2020 alu profiles to be found (such as endcaps, cable holders, etc.). You may also have to think about height adjustable feet. Personally I'm using alu profiles for photography as it's easy to modify/adjust to any requirements :D

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I didn't use a regular stereo plug, I used the IP68 4-wire connectors (had them laying around, and cut one wire so it was only using three). The connections are solid. I can rub them around and move them a lot and nothing happens. Plus when one sensor goes, both go.

I'm still trying to figure it out, but it does seem like it's related to a load. If there is a load on the outlet when I toggle quickly it seems to more often stop working versus if there is no load. I'm still testing...

Here's a couple pictures of the build: https://photos.app.goo.gl/z82jdRuKqbYVRjjc8 (excuse my "dirty" wiring)

The temperature sensors I bought were these off amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H3P8LRT/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hey where did you get your enclosure?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason not to use standard 2020 alu profiles? Looking at the Makerbeam available brackets I think you will have some limitations. You will have to place them on the outside of the alu profiles as on the 'inside' there will be another alu profile, so the brackets will get into 'conflict' with any housing coverage. For 2020 there are internal 90 degree options, so for a T bracket you can use 1 or 2 on both sides.
41gRnC9jk4L.jpg

Personally I would also feel more comfortable with 20x20mm at 710mm height plus aquarium on top of it. Also on Thingiverse there are many add-on's for 2020 alu profiles to be found (such as endcaps, cable holders, etc.). You may also have to think about height adjustable feet. Personally I'm using alu profiles for photography as it's easy to modify/adjust to any requirements :D
Thanks for the inputs. Red Sea reefer 170 nano, is around 32”, I think 750mm (30.5”) should be ok.
( I would have preferred 710 mm though ). Are you concerned about strength ? I was able to conceptualize most of the tank with corner , t and right angle brackets . The 2020 alum arrangement you shared can be done with corner bracket in makerbeam. I found the price also reasonable (120$ overall, with frames , brackets, nuts and bolts ). Dimension wise , 2020 seems a bulkier version of makerbeam. I don’t know much about it, let me read through,

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the inputs. Red Sea reefer 170 nano, is around 32”, I think 750mm (30.5”) should be ok.
( I would have preferred 710 mm though ). Are you concerned about strength ? I was able to conceptualize most of the tank with corner , t and right angle brackets . The 2020 alum arrangement you shared can be done with corner bracket in makerbeam. I found the price also reasonable (120$ overall, with frames , brackets, nuts and bolts ). Dimension wise , 2020 seems a bulkier version of makerbeam. I don’t know much about it, let me read through,
I may misunderstand, but I can't image you can place the makerbeam brackets on the 'inside' of the enclosure. Quick picture:

upload_2018-12-9_10-53-57.png

I'm less concerned about strength but more about wobbling, especially with a filled aquarium on top of it. Red Sea reefer nano is claimed to be 180kg/400lb in total. I have no experience with this but would not feel comfortable with 1515 alu and brackets (I mainly use 3030 and that's stable but have never put such weight on it).
What definitely would help is to have wooden plates connected to the alu profiles, but that's why I think there is a conflict with the brackets.

Last edited:

Tenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the voltage is fine, put the Fluke in "min" mode and it should register anything lower at a faster sample rate than the meter will display. I'm curious if you are getting electrical interference with the pi that close to AC input to the case and causing logic errors? Higher amperage pumps inside creating more noise perhaps. Could you unscrew and move the pi out from under the AC wiring and test?

This would be my guess as well. Since 1wire is just a single ended bus (and an open drain one at that), a long wire lead like that will happily make an antenna for anything to creep on to.

Will do the fluke again today if I run into issues. I also was thinking about the electronic noise created by the pumps especially considering it seems to work fine without a load so once AC is applied with a load there seems to be issues.

Just taking it slow and methodical today.

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Ranjib .. The maker beam stuff to build a Structure would prob hold your tank up fine. But.. Since you are going to have to put a skin on it anyway. My suggestion is Just build a Plywood stand, W 1x front ( popular oak Birch ) what ever is available in our area cheap even Pine would do. If you look at home a Kitchen Cabinet is assembled you will find its Quite easy and Will be WAY Stronger . My honest opinion on most Aquarium stands i see on here build out either steel or dimensional lumber then a Heavy ply shell around them is VERY Wasteful..
If you have or have a friend with a table saw to run the parts for you would be best. But you can do it with a Skill-Saw and Clamp guide . If you wanted something open or kinda industrial looking then i would say the allum slot stuff would be ok....

Hope this make sense...

Erica Renee..

sorry i have not been around much . I have been working on a Huge bid and spending my extra time Learning the 3d Printer.. ( GRRRRRRRR 3D Printing is far from Plug and play , But i am getting some success after 3 weeks of tinkering. Can print pla Perfect with factor settings Pet-g ABS AND Flex stuff well. they are all Animals ...

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Ranjib .. The maker beam stuff to build a Structure would prob hold your tank up fine. But.. Since you are going to have to put a skin on it anyway. My suggestion is Just build a Plywood stand, W 1x front ( popular oak Birch ) what ever is available in our area cheap even Pine would do. If you look at home a Kitchen Cabinet is assembled you will find its Quite easy and Will be WAY Stronger . My honest opinion on most Aquarium stands i see on here build out either steel or dimensional lumber then a Heavy ply shell around them is VERY Wasteful..
If you have or have a friend with a table saw to run the parts for you would be best. But you can do it with a Skill-Saw and Clamp guide . If you wanted something open or kinda industrial looking then i would say the allum slot stuff would be ok....

Hope this make sense...

Erica Renee..

sorry i have not been around much . I have been working on a Huge bid and spending my extra time Learning the 3d Printer.. ( GRRRRRRRR 3D Printing is far from Plug and play , But i am getting some success after 3 weeks of tinkering. Can print pla Perfect with factor settings Pet-g ABS AND Flex stuff well. they are all Animals ...
No worries :) , 3d printing skill will be very useful.
I want the makerbeam style stand mostly for aesthetics. Inline with other furniture that my wife is getting for the new apartment. .. according to her this is modern (meh..). I was planning to paint it as well (whatever the new color theme she chooses).
But I was also interested due to the modular nature which will help me rearrange it easily. I want to mount light, controller, powerstrip etc as well, with the brackets I think this will be easier and without involving any powertools. , i.e. its diy friendly.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watchman goby, lubbock wrasse, and Solon wrasse
I love wrasses .. they are the best... best attitude, best movements, best pest eaters.. very nice fish.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may misunderstand, but I can't image you can place the makerbeam brackets on the 'inside' of the enclosure. Quick picture:

upload_2018-12-9_10-53-57.png

I'm less concerned about strength but more about wobbling, especially with a filled aquarium on top of it. Red Sea reefer nano is claimed to be 180kg/400lb in total. I have no experience with this but would not feel comfortable with 1515 alu and brackets (I mainly use 3030 and that's stable but have never put such weight on it).
What definitely would help is to have wooden plates connected to the alu profiles, but that's why I think there is a conflict with the brackets.
Thank you for pointing out. You are right. But will this matter a lot ? I was thinking that the plywood cover coreners can be cut (i have a scroll saw.) to adjust those corners. .. you think that will look ugly ? :-(

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love wrasses .. they are the best... best attitude, best movements, best pest eaters.. very nice fish.
These are fairy wrasses so im not sure of their pest eating abilities, but they are beautiful.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back