reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just saying the same thing myself yesterday as a matter of fact! Hahaha!!Do you remember the all in one electronics kits they used to have? 150 projects or more if you bought the bigger one

Ha ha. The one with a big breadboard and a power supply or the one with the coil springs all over it for wire connections? I had both.

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha. The one with a big breadboard and a power supply or the one with the coil springs all over it for wire connections? I had both.
The one with the breadboard, in a wooden box. At least I thought it was Heathkit! I'll have to ask my Dad if he remembers what it was. This is back in the mid 70s when I was 6-7. Details are vague.

sfgabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ryan115 Thinking of an auger drive system, the auger doesn't even need to be inside the drum, just feeding from it. Could have the auger and stepper mounted beside the drum at the bottom at a 45* angle to feed over the side into the tank.Keeps the drum from accidentally getting dropped into the tank. Just my $.02
There are a ton of auto fishfeeders on thingiverse, most are auger driven. I feel like an auger would get mucked up with humidity pretty quickly though. The eheim seems to do a good job of keeping things dry. My cheap-o barrel driven one needs to be shaken around and dried out about once a week, so I'm looking for ways around that.

For the auger driven one, depending on the type of motor you're using, you might find my quick and dirty python script a good place to start.

sfgabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sfgabe Can you possibly describe the way you are integrating HA with reef-pi. It would be great if you can make a separate thread because it is not easy to keep track of what's going on in this thread.

I'm just starting to think something similar. I played briefly with OpenHAB a couple years ago, and I recently checked out Home Assistant, which seems to be easier. I'm thinking of doing most of power on-off with HA. I think there is a cheap option to do power monitor with Sonoff S31 (since Reef-pi doesn't have the capacity to monitor power usage yet). So I'd like to see how you are doing the integration.

A build writeup is on my list of todo's. All of the reef-pi integration uses the API to get and post sensors and automations. You can read more about it on my GitHub backup. I'm going for a biotope setup so most of the "smart" features are activated by feeds from noaa and various other places.

HomeAssistant is... not for the coding-shy. It's a bear just keeping up with constant development. On the other side of that, bugs get fixed fairly quickly and there's always new options with each release.

If you want to poke around, it's fairly easy to get it going for simple things, especially if you have some common smart home things around already.

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think grain auger, it's used to move grain up into silos, unload trucks, so on. The auger is riding against the bottom of the tube and the food is being shuttled up the tube. It doesn't fall back because it would have to fall over the auger spirals to get back down. Sorry, hard to explain. Look at some videos maybe. Put a rubber door at the top of the tube to keep the humidity down, the food will push the door open as it's being pushed up and out.
Something like this?
upload_2018-12-10_18-41-3.png

There are a ton of auto fishfeeders on thingiverse, most are auger driven. I feel like an auger would get mucked up with humidity pretty quickly though. The eheim seems to do a good job of keeping things dry. My cheap-o barrel driven one needs to be shaken around and dried out about once a week, so I'm looking for ways around that.

For the auger driven one, depending on the type of motor you're using, you might find my quick and dirty python script a good place to start.
I'll look on thingiverse, I started drawing before I looked for what is already out there.
I'll check out your python script too. Thanks for that.
At the end of the day I will probably use the Eheim I already have, but why not draw one out in CAD anyway?

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like this?
upload_2018-12-10_18-41-3.png

I'll look on thingiverse, I started drawing before I looked for what is already out there.
I'll check out your python script too. Thanks for that.
At the end of the day I will probably use the Eheim I already have, but why not draw one out in CAD anyway?
Nice design! Different than what I was envisioning, but I think in terms of how I can use parts I can buy, not make. A 3D printer is on Santa's list!

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice design! Different than what I was envisioning, but I think in terms of how I can use parts I can buy, not make. A 3D printer is on Santa's list!
Having a 3D printer has completely changed the way I think about designing things.
They are amazing tools.

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think grain auger, it's used to move grain up into silos, unload trucks, so on. The auger is riding against the bottom of the tube and the food is being shuttled up the tube. It doesn't fall back because it would have to fall over the auger spirals to get back down. Sorry, hard to explain. Look at some videos maybe. Put a rubber door at the top of the tube to keep the humidity down, the food will push the door open as it's being pushed up and out.
After drawing it, it makes more sense in my head.
I was thinking about it being more vertical and the food spiraling back down like a gumball machine.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib hey man am I able to access reef pi through my iPhone?
as long as you are in same network (home wifi ) you should be able to access it from any device, mobile, computer , ipad etc

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as long as you are in same network (home wifi ) you should be able to access it from any device, mobile, computer , ipad etc

Yip I was looking for a way to have a GUI if I’m away from house I ended up using VNC. I don’t know if I am missing something but all I was able to achieve with my windows PC was a connection with the terminal unless I used VNC.

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yip I was looking for a way to have a GUI if I’m away from house I ended up using VNC. I don’t know if I am missing something but all I was able to achieve with my windows PC was a connection with the terminal unless I used VNC.

You can install VNC on your rasberry pi (should already be on raspbian) and then when you remote in to the pi you then open the browser and log in to reef-pi and control it from there.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/remote-access/vnc/

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Remot3.it for my remote access. Supposed to be secure and it was easy to set up.
I can confirm it worked seamlessly even internationally (not that that should matter).

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switch from Verizon to xfinity. With my Verizon router I had a built in app that allowed you to enter the account information for several free Dynamic DNS services that auto updated your IP if it changed to whatever your registered dns name was. My xfinity router does not have this. I found this article for configuring raspbian to use noip but was wondering if any of you have done anything different or better?

http://www.darwinbiler.com/dynamic-dns-using-raspberry-pi/

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Remot3.it for my remote access. Supposed to be secure and it was easy to set up.
I can confirm it worked seamlessly even internationally (not that that should matter).

I recently switch from Verizon to xfinity. With my Verizon router I had a built in app that allowed you to enter the account information for several free Dynamic DNS services that auto updated your IP if it changed to whatever your registered dns name was. My xfinity router does not have this. I found this article for configuring raspbian to use noip but was wondering if any of you have done anything different or better?

http://www.darwinbiler.com/dynamic-dns-using-raspberry-pi/

What are the benefits to either of these vs VNC server and viewer? Maybe I haven't had any glitches forcing me to change yet. I have my pi set to a static IP and it connects in the house via browser or outside my network with VNC without any issues.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottBrew actually these are two separate things. What I want to do (DynamicDNS) is a service you can get from noip. Basically you create a name like for instance https://myreefpi.ddns.org the service on your router always tells the noip service what your ip address is on your router and updates it. So if for some reason your provider changes your ip address (which happens) its automatically updated and going to the above address always takes your to your pi.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottBrew actually these are two separate things. What I want to do (DynamicDNS) is a service you can get from noip. Basically you create a name like for instance https://myreefpi.ddns.org the service on your router always tells the noip service what your ip address is on your router and updates it. So if for some reason your provider changes your ip address (which happens) its automatically updated and going to the above address always takes your to your pi.

I have had better luck with NO-IP THEN dydns I use them for my Security cameras and Extra access to my home server where my Estimating Software lives. Its like reef-pi where it runs on a webserver living in my Network Closet

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had better luck with NO-IP THEN dydns I use them for my Security cameras and Extra access to my home server where my Estimating Software lives. Its like reef-pi where it runs on a webserver living in my Network Closet

@Erica-Renee which app did you use on your raspberry for auto updating the IP to NO-IP?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use xfinity and just setup port forwarding as and when needed . I find this is best as it does not involve installing anything on the pi (saves cpu) and works even if no desktop manager is present (all my reef-pi builds runs in text mode )

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use xfinity and just setup port forwarding as and when needed . I find this is best as it does not involve installing anything on the pi (saves cpu) and works even if no desktop manager is present (all my reef-pi builds runs in text mode )

@Ranjib this is how I have it set up as well and it works fine as long as you know your ip. The only problem is that the main IP address from xfinity is dynamic and mine has changed twice since I have switched to xfinity. Thats why I am looking at a dynDNS service. So if I am in mexico on vacation and my IP changes I can still get to reef-pi :)

Back