reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
yes. it should be possible.
Install the same version of reef-pi if possible on the new pi and just copy the db over. you should be able to dry run by turning on reef-pi on the new pi, without any thing attached (as long as you are not using wireless drivers).

I'll be doing a headless install, hopefully that won't be a problem?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Still long way to go till old glory is restored , tanks are humming along. Got most of algae under control. Hopefully once the new house chores settled I’ll be able to focus more
C7BC055D-0593-4EAE-9D30-10428568E4EB.jpeg
2596B5D0-C7B2-4F21-A95A-8A6A9B15B128.jpeg
26C78D48-8E62-4856-909B-787DCE5E2D36.jpeg
4AC7BCC1-E9C7-4B6B-A331-36E1EC09347C.jpeg

Dukereefnz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi i I am receiving an {"error":"stats for id: 'X' not found"} | HTTP 404
started as X = '1' then '2' and now '3'

Any idea what this means and how to fix it?
I did find some reference at

But no answer...

Thanks

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi i I am receiving an {"error":"stats for id: 'X' not found"} | HTTP 404
started as X = '1' then '2' and now '3'

Any idea what this means and how to fix it?
I did find some reference at

But no answer...

Thanks

You'll get the error because the pump is disabled and the dashboard is set to display the pump data, which it can't as there is no data being read. Do with s temperature sensor and you'll also get an error. If you are not using the pump then remove it from the dashboard.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
please advise which PCB board is most feature rich that I should look at? there is a ROBO TANK. Leviathan .
any others one can buy ?

I'm currently running a RoboTank on my DT and ML's hat on my QT and Coral QT/Nano DT, for about 6 months now.

In the end they all do about the same thing. That being said, money no object, RoboTank get's my vote; especially if you want more of a Plug-And-Play solution. Tons of customization with minimal fiddling on the part of the user as most connections are baked in; comes in a nice case and has a bunch of expansions and a powerbar. Heck, it even works with ML's Viparspectra and Jebao slave doser adapter boards!

Now, if you're more of a DIY/fiddler guy/gal then it's pretty hard to beat ML's HAT. A lot of options in a small package that's inexpensive, but you have to come up with your own connections and enclosure, there's no pre-built powerbar.

There is also the Pico Board and the Leviathan, but I don't have experience with them.

Boostable

View Badges
Reaction score
please advise which PCB board is most feature rich that I should look at? there is a ROBO TANK. Leviathan .
any others one can buy ?

They are all nice and will work well in the right configuration. With that said you need to look at WHAT and HOW you want to control. There are slight differences between each that may lead you down one path or another. Specifially how you want to control the switched power outlets. Make that decision and it will help narrow your path. On that note I may have an extra Leviathan board that I would consider getting rid off if your looking in that direction.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I am not against the pre packaged builds but prefer to build mine on perma proto boards with modules. It does not look as nice and is not compact but it makes it much more scalable and easier to troubleshoot/replace parts, easier to modify as newer build options come out, and can customize it to your exact needs. My current build has 16 AC outlets, 8 DC outlets, 4 temp probes, ATO, autofeeder, 4 dosers, and plenty of room to add a PH probe or any other I2C enabled modules in the future.
pi.jpeg
relay.jpeg

dadarara

View Badges
Reaction score
regarding the Reef-pi board..
no problem to build it with perma proto boards.
just though maybe some pre packaged build boards will make it simpler.
dont need boxes. plan to have my own acrylic box.

I got a feeling that the 4 doser ports is some kind of a "bottleneck" ? is it ?
need about 7 doser ports.
- 4 for chemicals
- 1 for AOT doser pump to push it far away
- 2 for auto water change system IN/OUT also far away

so it seams the Leviathan and ROBOtank are limited to 4.

also I want an option to have about 7-10 water level sensors (chemicals bottles, AOT and water changer , Sump etc)

QUESTION: can you guys give me a list of accessories that will use 16 AC sockets ? Why would I need 16 ?

NeonRabbit221B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The problem is the control signal required for dosers. You can add additional dosers by using a PWM signal from a PCA9685 and motor drivers but it is likely less plug and play than one might want. Water level sensors and sockets are all controlled by the I/O of the raspberry pi so its doubtful you will be able exactly what you want without some additional wiring and PCA9685 boards.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score

- 4 for chemicals

also I want an option to have about 7-10 water level sensors (chemicals bottles, AOT and water changer , Sump etc)

QUESTION: can you guys give me a list of accessories that will use 16 AC sockets ? Why would I need 16 ?

i don’t think that is true about the robotank. I’m pretty sure you can control more than 4 dosers. You would need to know what doser though for how to connect to it. Do you need variable dc, pwm, ac control, or etc?

Input sensors can also be extended to 10+.

I don’t have a robotank. (I have a ml hat and pico board). But these things are highly configurable. It is true that some are more plug and play than others though.

Head over to @robsworld78 website and ask. He is a pretty friendly guy.

As for ac control. It’s just for flexibility. I have 8 ac devices but I can see a possibility for several more. Or if someone were to run two tanks from one controller.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

- 4 for chemicals

For 7 dosers assuming you don't need them to be bi-directional you will need 7 PWM outputs, 7 GPIO outputs, and 4 motor drivers (I use the MOSFET tb6612 which comes in pairs). This can easily be done on a single PCA9685 board which has 16 potential outlets. If it was me I would just round it to 8 dosers. But like mentioned above it is not plug and play anymore.

As for 16 outlets. I run an Algae scrubber, 2 reactors, 3 wavemakers, sump light, algae scrubber light, skimmer, return pump, 2 heaters and an ATO pump. Not quite 16 but I have 3 spare outlets left just in case I want to add something like auto water change pumps or additional wavemakers.

Martin Lowry

View Badges
Reaction score
@Ranjib Oops! Invalid Credentials.
It's been quite sometime since I worked on my build. Just getting back to it now and long story cut short, I forgot my credentials. Is there any way to maybe backup the DB, do a clean install to get to where I was?

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Stop reef-pi, run the reset-password command, start reef-pi
Code:
sudo systemctl stop reef-pi.service
sudo reef-pi reset-password -user <NEW_USER> -password <NEW PASSWORD>
sudo systemctl start reef-pi.service

Lazys Coral House
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Is there a list of "useful" or "common" commands for Reefpi?
No.. I did the dev work in piecemeal, the only help currently present is `reef-pi --help` . I plan to add the details in docs as part of 4.0 release work., its one of the long list of things that needs to be documented.

Martin Lowry

View Badges
Reaction score
Stop reef-pi, run the reset-password command, start reef-pi
Code:
sudo systemctl stop reef-pi.service
sudo reef-pi reset-password -user <NEW_USER> -password <NEW PASSWORD>
sudo systemctl start reef-pi.service

Strange! Tried the above and got the successful message, then started the reef-pi.service, tried to login from the browser and still getting the same invalid credentials. Tried multiple times and rebooted

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Strange! Tried the above and got the successful message, then started the reef-pi.service, tried to login from the browser and still getting the same invalid credentials. Tried multiple times and rebooted
reef-pi uses session based authentication and one possibility is the old session cookie still being used. If you still encountering this issue , check if logging in from your browser incognito or private mode work? If so, its due to cached data in the browser

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score

- 4 for chemicals

This list compared to your larger list can be done on controller as is. You get the following to work with.

- 6 configurable sensor ports
- 7 DC ports (unidirectional 12v dosing pump or any other 12v DC device, speed can be adjusted in reef-pi for each, requires DC device to operate on range of voltages such as 6v-12v.)
- 1 auto feeder port (can be used as extra DC port)
- 3 DC ports have a backup float switch port (cuts power to DC port no matter what reef-pi says, great for ATO backup etc.)
- 16 outputs on two DB9's. These come straight from Pi so can be used for anything, my power bars connect to these. In next couple weeks I will have power bar alternatives so instead of AC outlets you can add more DC or sensor ports. I will also have a simple addon to replace the existing DB9s so you can still add 16 AC outlets, it'll have two DB9s.
- 8 outputs that can put out 0-5v or 0-10v PWM or 0-5v or 0-10v analog signal.

With DIY involved you can do everything as controller comes for your long list.

Do you have a frag tank, frag rack or some other place for coral frags currently?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 100 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 123 53.9%
  • Other

Votes: 5 2.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Industrial Test Systems, Inc.