reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
@Ranjib as far as the release goes, I guess that's the perk of being the developer and working for free; there's not a person on earth (other than your other half) that can tell you what to do or make any kind of demands.

If we're being honest, I'm a big proponent of "it's ready when it's ready." But I'm also sailing along on 3.4...

Corals.com

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Hmm my Adafruit telemetry isn't working. I enter the key, reload, the feeds appear, but no data in them. I have loads of these errors though...
Screenshot_20201109-204114_Chrome.jpg

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
what fix? my 3.5 dashboard shows graphs just fine (for temp at least)
It shows up but there is no scaling. In the past the scale would be between the lowest and highest value. You could really see trends. It used to work with temp, it never worked (to my knowledge) with pH. it would be great to have it working for both.

I am running 3.5

Orbela

View Badges
Reaction score
Has anybody extended their temperature probe and Ph probe?
I want to remotely mount my Reef pi and it looks like it might be too short.
Is their any issues or lack of accuracy? I amlooking of adding 5’. Thanks. I searched the thread but didn’t find anything

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Has anybody extended their temperature probe and Ph probe?
I want to remotely mount my Reef pi and it looks like it might be too short.
Is their any issues or lack of accuracy? I amlooking of adding 5’. Thanks. I searched the thread but didn’t find anything

You can at least on the temperature sensors, should be fine on the pH also maybe someone else could confirm this?

FuzzeWuzze

View Badges
Reaction score
So I'm interested in Reef-Pi, specifically the PWM 10V to be able to control my 2 Icecap Gyre pumps independently without having to buy an Apex or some other expensive equipment.

Reading through the documentation it seems like because I only need 2 channels, i can use the PWM pins on the RPI and dont need to use the PCA9685 board?

Im struggling a bit to understand what the circuit will look like to get 2 channel's of 0-10V i can put a connector on and plug into my Icecap controller. Any help would be appreciated.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
I also get that temperature sensor error, though I believe it maybe the sdcard maybe corrupted, I'm not sure if you can fix errors like you can in Windows, the problem exists in android and also windows for me. My error seems to have occurred during a power cut a couple of weeks ago when my battery backup ran out of juice.

I checked again on the laptop, works perfectly without errors, on the android I've checked using Google, chrome and Firefox browsers and the error appears on all 3. I'm going to set up a single feed macro and test it via the laptop with two pumps and a temperature sensor disabled which doesn't work via the phone. Will update later on.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Screenshot_2020-11-10-09-52-58-233_com.android.chrome.jpg
I didn't use the heater at all last winter, got caught out last night, normally the cool nights happen only from mid December to mid January, this winter La Niña is going to make it a cold one, at least my chiller can take a rest...

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So I'm interested in Reef-Pi, specifically the PWM 10V to be able to control my 2 Icecap Gyre pumps independently without having to buy an Apex or some other expensive equipment.

Reading through the documentation it seems like because I only need 2 channels, i can use the PWM pins on the RPI and dont need to use the PCA9685 board?

Im struggling a bit to understand what the circuit will look like to get 2 channel's of 0-10V i can put a connector on and plug into my Icecap controller. Any help would be appreciated.
Does the adafruit lighting controller guide help? it walks through 10v pwm circuit. I have no experience with icecap gyre. Didnt know they support external control

FuzzeWuzze

View Badges
Reaction score
Does the adafruit lighting controller guide help? it walks through 10v pwm circuit. I have no experience with icecap gyre. Didnt know they support external control

A bit, but the first sentence is a bit wrong unless im missing something on the parts page.
For one part of the build, we'll extend our previous reef-pi build to control Kessil lights (A360, A80 or A160), Kessil allows controlling the spectrum and intensity of the light using 10V pulse width modulation (PWM). We'll use Raspberry Pi's hardware timers as a 3.3V PWM source which will be then converted to a 10v PWM using an NPN transistor. We'll use a couple of LM2596 modules to generate 5V (for Raspberry Pi) and 10V (for NPN transistor source) power source from a single 12V power source.

Nowhere does it talk about this that im seeing, the schematic is only for using the PCA9685? I dont know much about PWM, but it seems like the Pi Zero W has two independent PWM channels? GPIO 12/18 on Channel 0 and 13/19 for Channel 1? Does Reefpi let you use those or only the SDA/SCL? Since i only need 2 can i just cut the PCA9685 out of the circuit and wire the PWM pins directly into the NPN where the PWM signal came in from the PCA9685?

Lazys Coral House

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
A bit, but the first sentence is a bit wrong unless im missing something on the parts page.

Nowhere does it talk about this that im seeing, the schematic is only for using the PCA9685? I dont know much about PWM, but it seems like the Pi Zero W has two independent PWM channels? GPIO 12/18 on Channel 0 and 13/19 for Channel 1? Does Reefpi let you use those or only the SDA/SCL? Since i only need 2 can i just cut the PCA9685 out of the circuit and wire the PWM pins directly into the NPN where the PWM signal came in from the PCA9685?

Yes you can use those for your PWM signals. I'm doing it for my lights where I had trouble getting them to work properly with the lower frequency PWM from the PCA9685.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

I used the hardware PWM also. With no issue. I believe it’s pins 18 and 19 if I recall. When you create the jacks in reefpi software you just select reefpi as the driver.

I have a pair of gyres also and always wanted to control them with reefpi but didn’t want to buy the interface module at $124 each x 2. The only issue you may run into is that the modules input is 0-10 volt which is different than 10 volt PWM. I don’t know enough about the modules to know if they need a true 0-10 volt signal or if a PWM signal works. Many have converted the reefpi PWM into 0-10 volts though for lighting control so it is possible.

FuzzeWuzze

View Badges
Reaction score
I used the hardware PWM also. With no issue. I believe it’s pins 18 and 19 if I recall. When you create the jacks in reefpi software you just select reefpi as the driver.

I have a pair of gyres also and always wanted to control them with reefpi but didn’t want to buy the interface module at $124 each x 2. The only issue you may run into is that the modules input is 0-10 volt which is different than 10 volt PWM. I don’t know enough about the modules to know if they need a true 0-10 volt signal or if a PWM signal works. Many have converted the reefpi PWM into 0-10 volts though for lighting control so it is possible.

Ah, very good point i hadnt thought about that. If anyone that has done a 0-10V steady output with a reefpi i'd be interested. I've found DAC boards like this https://aptinex.com/product/aptinex-dac-module-da1c010bi-digital-to-analog-0-10v-mcp4725-i2c/ but they appear to use I2C SDA/SCL, of which RPI's only have 1 as far as i know so i couldnt control two devices.

Last edited:

FuzzeWuzze

View Badges
Reaction score
Seems like what i need is basically this circuit posted by @robsworld78 using the LM358D? I'd just hardwire it to the config i'd want for 10V out, put 3.3V PWM from the RPI in and get 0-10V analog out to feed into my gyre controller?

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Had anyone had an issue with frying optical sensors? I swear I have checked my wiring several times and check continuity between connectors but cant get it to work... Do these short out and break easily?
Not frying, but I experienced them to be less reliable compared to floatswitch.

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
I have a timer issue with a HS-100 smart plug (Kasa).

It works fine manually switching it on and off. But when I set up a timer (turn on for 15 seconds every 4th hour) it does what it's supposed to for the 15 seconds but then gets stuck switching the plug on for like a 1/10 second every second.

I'm not sure if it's a Reef-Pi thing or not but it feels like it. Anyone had similar issues?

Here's the timer I set up (currently disabled)
1604952310961.png

@Ranjib, is this something you have seen before?
For a driver I used the HS110, not HS103. Could this be it?

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
@Ranjib, is this something you have seen before?
For a driver I used the HS110, not HS103. Could this be it?

* in cron job stands for every. Since you have set that for minute/hour,,, reef-pi is switching every second with your spec. change the minute and second to 1.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Do you have a frag tank, frag rack or some other place for coral frags currently?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 110 44.2%
  • No

Votes: 134 53.8%
  • Other

Votes: 5 2.0%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors