reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

The Best reef aquarium LED lighting

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Any chance anyone has a reef-pi image? I am not infront of my system away from home. My wife just told me the tank lights did not come on today. It appears the memory card has failed, starts to boot and then crashes. There is no way I will be able to walk her through a normal installation, but possibly image a card. Tank temp is down to 72, I had her move the heater over but I would really like to get this controller back running for ATO, lights etc. Thanks for direction

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Any chance anyone has a reef-pi image? I am not infront of my system away from home. My wife just told me the tank lights did not come on today. It appears the memory card has failed, starts to boot and then crashes. There is no way I will be able to walk her through a normal installation, but possibly image a card. Tank temp is down to 72, I had her move the heater over but I would really like to get this controller back running for ATO, lights etc. Thanks for direction
Your reef-pi database is what you need to restore your reef-pi installation. github has reef-pi packages, but those are for fresh install only. I doubt other's reef-pi image will work for you, since they have specifics like temperature sensor , pin number etc that will be different from setup to setup. It is better to prepare for manual control (return, heater ) and do periodic top off till you are back.

in 4.0 release will have export/import feature to make things like this easier to deal with. But you still have to use those and prepare a backup sd card (basically a card with everything install and configured, including wifi etc) ready to go for dealing with such cases.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
I just tried to calibrate my PH probe and the ‘calibrate’ button doesn’t do anything. Tried from phone and a Mac chrome browser.

running 3.4.

any ideas?
first you need to disable the probe.

Edit ph.
disable probe.
save
Calibrate
Rinse probe in rodi
Place in 7 calibration fluid
Wait for readings to stabilize
Set cal value to 7
Push run
Rinse probe
Put in 10 calibration fluid
Set cal value to 10
Run
Edit ph
Enable probe
Save
Rinse probe and check both 7 and 10 and make sure it’s close.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Thanksgiving is approaching, and i am thinking about 4.0 release. It has been very hectic and i have not been able to push a lot of code as expected, lately. I am thinking whether to do a 4.0 release or skip it. Technically we dont have to have a major version release, since there no breaking changes. But historically it has been a tradition to do yearly reef-pi release during thanksgiving, hence the dilemma.

I am thinking of wrapping up some minor bugs and polish documentation and cut a release (4.0 ?) , if we want stick to the tradition. We did have quiet a few changes across the board (new features, drivers, bug fixes etc) encompassing 3->4 development, but most of those have been already incrementally shipped.

Let me know what you all think

I think you've done an amazing job, based on version number, 3.5 seems to be stable so maybe a good point to start 4.0. The minor issues are known and can be worked around so no need for a quick update, enjoy the holiday or play in the code. :)

Seems like what i need is basically this circuit posted by @robsworld78 using the LM358D? I'd just hardwire it to the config i'd want for 10V out, put 3.3V PWM from the RPI in and get 0-10V analog out to feed into my gyre controller?

Yeah that circuit will put out a 0-10v analog signal so just need a few components.

What is everyone using for a PH board? I looked on tindie and the ML board is out of stock. The EZO is unavailable. Is there a newer better board out there?

I wouldn't mention it but as you can't find I do have some.

I have ML's board and Ron's from RoboTank. Both work great.

Glad it's working out and BTW it's Rob but hey 2 out 3 letters isn't that bad. :)

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I think you've done an amazing job, based on version number, 3.5 seems to be stable so maybe a good point to start 4.0. The minor issues are known and can be worked around so no need for a quick update, enjoy the holiday or play in the code. :)

Yeah that circuit will put out a 0-10v analog signal so just need a few components.

I wouldn't mention it but as you can't find I do have some.

Glad it's working out and BTW it's Rob but hey 2 out 3 letters isn't that bad. :)

Hahaha yeah, fat fingers got me on the phone. Edited.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Boostable

View Badges
Reaction score
Getting started with my build, already tested and working. Doing power relays today and waiting on PH board to get here. Looking forward to getting it all together.
3F0D4A99-8118-4CC8-92DE-1B1D567C1D0C.jpeg
951B56A4-3A4F-4490-B6A2-609C3258E452.jpeg
097D59ED-3FC5-4988-8798-98C4AC522C53.jpeg

NeonRabbit221B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Does anyone know the positives and negative going with the ezo board vs one of the prebuilt ones?
ezo is a minimum of board and carrier board which is atleast $55. With the pre-built ones you support a follow member and don't have to deal with the ezo crapping out on you after a few months.

Boostable

View Badges
Reaction score
ezo is a minimum of board and carrier board which is atleast $55. With the pre-built ones you support a follow member and don't have to deal with the ezo crapping out on you after a few months.

Not entirely correct, you don't need the carrier board to hook up the EZO, however it makes it easier. I looked at a pre-buit but I couldn't find any in stock. Anyone have any or know of any in stock?

NeonRabbit221B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Not entirely correct, you don't need the carrier board to hook up the EZO, however it makes it easier. I looked at a pre-buit but I couldn't find any in stock. Anyone have any or know of any in stock?
At the very least you need a BNC, socket connectors (or risk voiding warranty) and resistors to make your own.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Does anyone know the positives and negative going with the ezo board vs one of the prebuilt ones?
Pro: three point calibration , ability to use with i2c or uart, support for temperature compensation etc.
Cons: double the price (including the carrier board)

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score

For situations just like this, I have a spare card in my cabinet set up just the same way as my main card. In the case of a failure, the replacement card is right there and I just need to swap them out and can be running again in 5 minutes. I learned the value of this the hard way.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
For situations just like this, I have a spare card in my cabinet set up just the same way as my main card. In the case of a failure, the replacement card is right there and I just need to swap them out and can be running again in 5 minutes. I learned the value of this the hard way.
I am recently tinkering with Raspberry Pi and SATA drivers. It is now relatively easy to just hook up a USB3-> mSATA/SATA3 adapter then use off the shelf mSATA/SATA3 drivers. The total setup should cost less than 40-50 USD and you'll have a 120G SSD thats much more durable. There will be some configuration work (pi will still boot from sd card, but reef-pi can be configured to keep its database on ssd), but i think this solves the sd card issue significantly.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
My pi is acting weird, one doser switched on at the desired time but didn't switch off, thankfully I was sitting there inspecting the doser at the time, that was last night, today it's working fine.

Then just now I initiated my 10 minutes feed macro which switched off the desired items, but didn't switch back on. I've just done a power off and on and it's working again.

So what I would like to do, as I do feel my sdcard is corrupted is set up a spare card(I did buy one for that purpose but ended.up in my daughters tab) is it possible to set it up on a different pi and then transfer it to my reef pi? I have a pi4 that I use for audio and my reef pi is a pi3 a+

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
My pi is acting weird, one doser switched on at the desired time but didn't switch off, thankfully I was sitting there inspecting the doser at the time, that was last night, today it's working fine.

Then just now I initiated my 10 minutes feed macro which switched off the desired items, but didn't switch back on. I've just done a power off and on and it's working again.

So what I would like to do, as I do feel my sdcard is corrupted is set up a spare card(I did buy one for that purpose but ended.up in my daughters tab) is it possible to set it up on a different pi and then transfer it to my reef pi? I have a pi4 that I use for audio and my reef pi is a pi3 a+
yes. it should be possible.
Install the same version of reef-pi if possible on the new pi and just copy the db over. you should be able to dry run by turning on reef-pi on the new pi, without any thing attached (as long as you are not using wireless drivers).

Do you have a frag tank, frag rack or some other place for coral frags currently?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 108 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 130 53.5%
  • Other

Votes: 5 2.1%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors