reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, just getting started. Will be running reef-pi/Robo-Tank. Setting up Prometheus/Grafana on remote machine.

@Ranjib Once "Enable Prometheus" is selected, how do you configure Prometheus to connect with reef-pi? I can run node_exporter on my rPi and connect just fine. I can also see my metrics at <ip_addr>/x/metrics. What is the proper syntax in the prometheus.yml configuration file? Or am I missing something? Please explain, thanks!

Also, there is a typo in the API JSON file (swagger.json)
"/api/analog_inuputs": {
thank you.. fix on the way

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuing work on the Esp32 integration . Got a working prototype Esp32 code that supports outlet, inlet, pwm and analog inputs , ready , with accompanying reef-pi driver https://github.com/reef-pi/drivers/tree/main/esp32
Testing it for few days now , with ds18b20 integration . And now working on expanding that test build to include all features , leading to a 12v all inclusive controller
4FF78951-1185-48B9-9B69-82EE5B0219D7.jpeg

I want to use this for one of my pico , it should allow controlling light , pump , ato , dosing , temperature all using 12v components and with a single 12v power supply . I’m also employing these mini toggle switches, that I can configure to manual, automated or off mode. Using relay after years, and I want to also experiment with customizability around fallback (no or nc).
will see how this performs , and might start a dedicated thread if this turn out awesome

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds good i can't use it in germany because of 110v
I am a bit late to the discussion but i had the exact same issue. "Nous A1T "sockets from Amazon are cheaper than HS110, run on Tasmota, have power measurement and statistics etc, can have simple programming running on them as a backup if reefpi fails, and most importantly are barely bigger than a full sized grounded plug so you can put a bunch of them in a normal power bar next to each other. (Has to be A1T, not A1, and not from other brands that look exactly the same either, most of those can't run Tasmota anymore sadly, but the A1T do and already have Tasmota on them, not the chinese cloud software)

if money isn't as much of an object you can get Shelly S, which can also run on Tasmota and are higher quality, but also almost double the price.

There's a sad lack of individually controllable powerbars with power measurement and enough slots in Germany that aren't GHL or even more expensive. The most there is are ones with 3 or 4 sockets, and those are more expensive than getting the individual plugs.

Last edited:

Simonv92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some of mine...

graf-1.png

graf-2.png

Fun Fact I have alerts on return pump power and ato storage so I get text messages when either one hits a threshold. I have been testing some of @robsworld78 PH monitor and can say positively that they are a nice piece of hardware, the one I had used previously was getting interference and had lots of spikes, the new one from Rob works like a treat. I also have a newer version to test out also, hopefully have that up and working but here is a close up of my PH for a day with drops where I carbon dosed (drop ph when dosing vinegar):

Screenshot at 2022-03-22 22-41-41.png

Now if I could just get it to help with the algae and other tank issues I have things would be great :)
Tom, how are measuring your return pump consuption? Thank you very much!!

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuing work on the Esp32 integration . Got a working prototype Esp32 code that supports outlet, inlet, pwm and analog inputs , ready , with accompanying reef-pi driver https://github.com/reef-pi/drivers/tree/main/esp32
Testing it for few days now , with ds18b20 integration . And now working on expanding that test build to include all features , leading to a 12v all inclusive controller

I want to use this for one of my pico , it should allow controlling light , pump , ato , dosing , temperature all using 12v components and with a single 12v power supply . I’m also employing these mini toggle switches, that I can configure to manual, automated or off mode. Using relay after years, and I want to also experiment with customizability around fallback (no or nc).
will see how this performs , and might start a dedicated thread if this turn out awesome

So I saw in github and see you mentioned it here that you added ESP32 is there any plans then to add a pi pico W as well? Would that be simple to modify your ESP32 driver to use it for the pico W possibly? As I just bought one not realizings you were working on a ESP32. I saw that your talking about a pico or are you talking about a tank? Is there a specific ESP32 this needs to work with? I ideally I need 3 PWM outputs as well for what I am working on. The pico has up to 16 so I don't have to add an external one.

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just going to ask would this ESP32 work? I can get these local.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I saw in github and see you mentioned it here that you added ESP32 is there any plans then to add a pi pico W as well? Would that be simple to modify your ESP32 driver to use it for the pico W possibly? As I just bought one not realizings you were working on a ESP32. I saw that your talking about a pico or are you talking about a tank? Is there a specific ESP32 this needs to work with? I ideally I need 3 PWM outputs as well for what I am working on. The pico has up to 16 so I don't have to add an external one.
raspberry pi pico is not planned for any integration, this is because it does not have WiFi capabilities. When I say pico I mean my tanks .
the current esp32 integration is implemented as WiFi/ network driver, hence won’t work with pi pico. any other microcontroller, we can get it working by implementing the esp32 driver.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just going to ask would this ESP32 work? I can get these local.

Yes

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized that pi pico has a wifi variant. I‘ll get it and get started with the driver development. If you can wait, don’t buy esp32, ill get this done,
thank you for calling this out. I don’t know how I missed it , I guess I was just aware of esp32 and didn’t pay attention to pi pico family

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol ok well at least I am not the only one missing something. I'm not sure if the Pi pico W is any better but think they are are fairly easy to come by vs. the regular Pi's

EDIT: of course this can't replace the regular Pi as a base unit. Just handy for remote hardware functions etc. I would keep the ESP32 just for folk who might like that one better etc.

Last edited:

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

By adding Nextion display to the rx tx of the ESP32 you can eliminate all those toggle switch and put them all in a touch screen display. Along with with graphic output to the display like temp ph ect. I mentioned before about wanting to use one mounted in my cabinet for quite/emergency to control basic functions like turning off a pump. Instead of running to my computer or trying to find my phone.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol ok well at least I am not the only one missing something. I'm not sure if the Pi pico W is any better but think they are are fairly easy to come by vs. the regular Pi's

EDIT: of course this can't replace the regular Pi as a base unit. Just handy for remote hardware functions etc. I would keep the ESP32 just for folk who might like that one better etc.
Yeah.. actually even pi pico w is way more expensive and less available compared to esp32

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Question on how to install the ESP32 driver to Existing Reefpi

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By adding Nextion display to the rx tx of the ESP32 you can eliminate all those toggle switch and put them all in a touch screen display. Along with with graphic output to the display like temp ph ect. I mentioned before about wanting to use one mounted in my cabinet for quite/emergency to control basic functions like turning off a pump. Instead of running to my computer or trying to find my phone.
Ack, I’ll experiment with those things. Thanks for letting me know.
for this build I really wanted something mechanical , and with manual override capabilities. the toggle switches are chunky and comes with spst, spdt varieties which is what I was looking for. i want to do a white and gold build to match with wife’s interior design specs :)

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question on how to install the ESP32 driver to Existing Reefpi
A lot of this could be done easier buy expanding the MQTT abilities of Reefpi then your wouldn’t need all these drivers. MQTT very simple setup half all ready down you have MQTT out just add MQTT in then use MQTT on ESP32 via Tasmota ESP32home or custom Arduino IDE code.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of this could be done easier buy expanding the MQTT abilities of Reefpi then your wouldn’t need all these drivers. MQTT very simple setup half all ready down you have MQTT out just add MQTT in then use MQTT on ESP32 via Tasmota ESP32home or custom Arduino IDE code.
Yes , mqtt is a Swiss Army knife. It’s a pub sub system , it’s not a rpc mechanism. One can use it in that way, but it has its own gotchas.
in future we can have a reef-pi mqtt based driver that can open up this possible, should not be lot of work, we just have to understand the user base appetite (how many folks will use / test it) and specification that will solve moist of those

Wolfw28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes , mqtt is a Swiss Army knife. It’s a pub sub system , it’s not a rpc mechanism. One can use it in that way, but it has its own gotchas.
in future we can have a reef-pi mqtt based driver that can open up this possible, should not be lot of work, we just have to understand the user base appetite (how many folks will use / test it) and specification that will solve moist of those
Simple take a pole start a thread asking how many people would like to have MQTT input add to Reefpi.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back